Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 51

Loka is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you Drock & Hispanicgamer for your advises! I'm happy to say I managed to run 6km this morning without coughing! 😆😆😆. It really made my day! Yeah, I can slowly increase my training again!

Cheers 😊

Good to hear Loka!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I think it was maybe here where I saw this link, but I can't find it now. I'm looking for a link to Runners World. It was a forum post that was a guy explaining how to transition to minimalist shoes. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Nevermind! I found it.

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Since this has turned into our all-purpose running thread, I need some advice.

Marathon training is going well. I am 7+ weeks into a 18-week program (following one of Hal Higdon's training plans). Since my 16-miler on Saturday, I've been having constant soreness/tightness in my calves (both, but one moreso than the other). It started around mile 12 or 13 Saturday. It wasn't bad enough that I had to slow down or stop, but just enough to be annoying. And worrisome when I think about doing 26.2.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? More stretching before/after? Should I walk a bit before my long runs? Is there anything I can eat to help? I'm staying probably >90% Whole30 with my eating, but I'm willing to deviate if there is something magic I can eat or drink. I do try to stay well-hydrated. Before, during, and after runs I drink water mixed with sea salt and lemon juice. I keep a glass of water at my desk all day. Urine is clear and copious.

Thanks for any advice.
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 166#, 30" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Drock - I have a lot of problems with calf soreness and resulting minor Plantar Fasciitis. Two things that help me, is rolling my calves both before and after I run with a high density foam roller, and trigger point work. Here are a couple of videos that may help:

Calf-Hip Stretch Reflex - YouTube

Plantar Fasciitis: Heel Pain | Foot Pain | Running Injury

During the run, you can run backwards for a little bit too, that will help some.

I also use Zensah calf sleeves after I run.

Many thanks, HG. I will look over those videos tonight. And look into some calf sleeves.
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"

My calves is one of the focus areas for my ART doctor. My left one has felt like I had a cramp for a week - tight and sore. If you don't find relief using the suggestions above, you might see if you can find a massage therapist who does trigger point work or see if you can find a chiropractor who does ART work.

Sorry to constantly recommend ART, but it has seriously made all the difference in my ability to run. Without it, I don't think I'd be running.

Thanks, Jenn.

I have "been borrowing" (read: stolen) my wife's calf sleeves and wearing them pretty much all the time. And I've been stretching a lot more. Seems to be helping. We will see what happens after Saturday's 17-miler.

How's your training going?

34/male 5'-5"

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Inflammation side lined me a bit. Heading out tomorrow for a 9912-14 miler. Should be fine. 20 miler next weekend. Then taper.

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast