Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 5

biggo78 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Awesome thread and congrats on your race! I'm a new member here and since I signed up for my first half marathon (which I'm doing in March) and training for the crossfit open (which is around that time as well), I just wanted to get some general info on proper nutrition during training and this thread provided me lots of great info.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Relaygirl. It's great to read about your running experiences and your fat adaptation. I went from being a total non-exerciser to running countless half marathons from age 40 to 50, then ran 2 halfs back-to-back at age 50, but ran them injured (chronic achilles tendonitis), and quit running right after the second race - had to or it wouldn't heal. Took 4 months to finally clear up (during my first Whole30 - go figure!), but since then I've lost my conditioning and most of my motivation. A tough year personal-wise. I have just now got the use of my right wrist back to normal, thanks to a cortisone shot, so no weights or any upper body anything for the past 5 months either. I'm really deconditioned.

But now I'm feeling ready to get back to fitness and I want to run again. Of course now it's winter in Ontario, not the best time to start out on the roads... It was very motivating to read about your experiences, your races, your fueling experiences. Your journal was just what I needed to read right now.

All the best on the full! I will be waiting to hear your experience.

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hey @biggo78, thanks for posting. Your race with the xfit is a huge undertaking-way to set a goal! I have a lot of athletic friends that aren't paleo and they are obsessed with their food and I have a lot of athletic friends who ARE paleo and they are obsessed with their food. It gets crazy all this nutritional information for us to take in. Sometimes I search for hours for fueling race information--but you know, it really comes down to simply good food. If you eat enough good fats, good meats, good veggies and good fruits you are going to be able to fuel your activities. I had to settle down and just RUN and EAT. Grokette did not worry about BCAA's and her body composition.

@marthat--wow, we do sound a lot alike! I have run a ton of races too! I was out a few years ago with a heel stress fracture. 6 months in a boot/cast and wheeling around on this wheelie thing with a little basket. I looked insane at the ballparks (my son plays travel ball so we are all over the place for tournaments). I remember I focused right away on clearing my mind of negative thoughts about the situation. I immediately started swimming. I had never been a swimmer before but we have a nice aquatic center around the corner. It was so embarrassing when I started--I only had a tankini with a skirt! The only thing I had every done in the pool was sit beside it and drink margaritas I could not afford a tank for 2 months because it was right after laying down the cash for Christmas for the kids. I tucked the ends of the skirt up into the bottoms and just went for it. All the men training for their triathlons just stared at me EVERY MORNING. 6 months of that. As much as I loved being able to swim-I haven't been back since I was able to run again

I really think when we are deconditioned it is a hard leap to get back into running or xfitting or whatever your poison is. But we over complicate it-all YOU have to do TODAY is step outside your door and go on a walk. It is not a leap but a step--just takes one to get you back on your way.

I am so disappointed-my race did not happen-it was put on by a company that went bankrupt or something. It was going to be cool-with some laps on the speedway. I ran 13 anyway

AND THE EXCITING NEWS IS...we got a new dog--or a BP as we say, big puppy. He is a golden retriever/irish terrier mix and about a year old. He is 50lbs. He is a rescue dog and he kicks a**. I LOVE him and he runs so dang far. He has put up some serious miles in just the last 2 weeks with me. The most he has gone at once was 10 but I know he can do the half. We have another dog (5y.o) but she is clinically insane in a doggy way...but we love her anyway.

JudyMac is offline Member
    Hi there, I loved to see your post as I was doing something similar last year with chia seeds, olive oil and lemon juice.

How much Coconut oil did you add?

Hey JudyMac-sorry I was out of town and did not see your post. I can only stomach 1 tbl of CO at a time. So If I make a race supplement (which I don't take that often) it is usually 1/2 tbl to 1 tbl mixed with good stuff.

I ran the Key West Ragnar relay and it was AMAZING! I won't say epic because this young trendy girl who fueled her runs with diet coke in my van said epic was really passť. So now I know. Yet, to my 6th grader, everything is still epic.

The team came in 2nd in the womens open division! Yay. I like winning. Or almost winning.

Okay, food was great-I kicked some paleo a** with my food. I had to fly so I could not take bone broth. I was really upset. I did check my baggage though so I had a butter/mct oil/cinnamon mix in there which I left a note describing so they did not think it was bomb goo when they decimated my luggage. I baked a whole pack of bacon and crumbled it. I smashed 3 big sweet potatoes with kerrygold and CO (this I carried with me and it made it through the TSA check). I boiled 7 eggs, brought tangerines, apples, cut up melon and avocado (this was really good-mushy by the 2nd day but good), and carrots.

So we went out to eat in Miami the night before the race and I had a spinach salad with beef, tomatoes and avocado. I had a good breakfast before the race with bacon and eggs and fruit. So we ran the 1st leg and then I had some sweet potatoes and an egg-this went well. I felt great. I was able to make a BP coffee at the hotel with my butter mix before we left. We were able to get another meal before the 2nd leg-which is rare. I had grilled mahi with a double order of green beans. I mixed another coffee in my shaker jar. Ran the 2nd leg-which was 10 miles for me. Long when you are exhausted. I ate more fruit and avocado and an egg.

We had to sleep in the van after the 2nd legs. I mixed a coffee with my butter mix in the van in my shaker jar (sundesa blender cup) I ran the 3rd leg with heavy legs but it went okay. I ran 8:45 minute miles here-I felt bad for my team but others did not fare well either. It was 90 degrees! And half the team was from Connecticut where they are really not used to it. I ran good 7:50-8:15's the 1st 2 legs.

We still kicked butt and we got to dress like Wonder woman-12 wonder women. Some guy wizzing by be on a leg says he loves a woman in costume I'm sure it was attractive sweating in 90 degree weather on a 40 year old woman, but hey, whatever gets you going.

The rest of the trip I ate 3 squares and it was good with the seafood, etc. I had 6 hours in the Fort Lauderdale airport and I packed left overs from dinner to have a good lunch before I got on the plane.

So to keep the food cold all this time I packed quart ziplocs with ice-at the airport to and from I would have it replaced. On the race I would just keep my baggie filled from the big cooler. I kept this in my lunch cooler. It worked well. I couldn't take gel ice because of the travel.

So that was this adventure. I am running Wasatch in Utah in June and I want to crush those mountains. I am going to a new trainer with specific goals. I start tomorrow. It is the same cost as xfit. I am going to do some heavy lifting and some HIIT. I hope this is good. I need to lean out some and get strong. I did not feel my best for this race-I had some low points diet wise over the holidays that did not translate well during my race I was too into dairy for several weeks before. I had stopped the week I left but it was not enough. I felt really bloated and slow.

Next race-this sunday, a 15K. I love 15k's.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like a great event! I'm so impressed with your ability to maintain your nutrition goals with all the people who don't eat like you. Has anyone ever commented/questioned the way you eat before/after a run?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

josephsam627 is offline Banned
    There was kids race that was supposed to go off at 8:30, but it was delayed and we wound up starting the race late, I think a little after nine. I lined up with my training buddies, and Alyissa and I discussed doing 6:50 miles which would have gotten me in at well below a 1:30. This was, I can say with the benefit of retrospect, about as realistic as a flying freakiní unicorn.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Either the spambots are getting a lot more sophisticated, or someone has a really boring job.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    Either the spambots are getting a lot more sophisticated, or someone has a really boring job.
    +1
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast