Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 43

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Be very cautious about transitioning to zero drop shoes from Asics Cumulus. Its a big difference and you need to take your time to transition properly to avoid injury. There is some good info here:

*** NEW BAREFOOT OR MINIMALIST RUNNERS START HERE *** | Runner's World Community

I'm not trying to butt in but would hate to see someone injured from doing too much too soon (TMTS). Your calves and achilles' will take a beating if you don't go slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hispanicgamer View Post

Sorry, just saw how ineffective a smiley is here. Must remember that this isn't facebook!

No craziness here but I am looking forward to training for the Rock and Roll Half in June and the San Diego Half in March. There's a 10K and 15K interspersed in there but as far as the first half of the year goes, this is it. Still trying to determine if I can justify the zero heel shoes........

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Huarache Gal is right. I had to transition from Asics 1260's to Vibrams. Took a few months of not wearing the Asics for anything (I wasn't running at the time) and then slowly building up in the Vibrams. I started out running 1 mile in my vibrams 3x per week, wearing barefoot shoes outside of running as well. Then I moved up to 1.5, then 2 over a couple of weeks. Once you get those initial miles out and have no issues, you can build up faster. Zero drop would have the same transition period as the Vibrams, but Minimus are not zero drop. They have a 4 mm drop - which is why they caused me issues going from Vibrams to them. I had to send my Minimuses back. Burning in the peroneus brevus/longus area of the leg was not something I was willing to deal with long term. Decided to get some neoprene vibrams for winter... hopefully they're warm enough.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    When I transitioned to barefoot running, this is what I experienced. It took FOREVER for it to go away - and a LOT of ART treatments!!

“Top of the foot” pain

One of the dangers of beginning barefoot running is doing too much too soon. Your feet have likely spent most of their active life confined in shoes. Shoes weaken the bones, muscles, ligaments, and tendons of your feet. The skin on the soles of your feet will not be used to the sensory input of the ground. In order to prevent injuries, it is important to begin barefoot running cautiously. Barefoot running feels wonderful! The urge to do too much before your feet are ready is very powerful. As such, it is important to follow a conservative plan even if you feel great in the beginning. Going too fast may result in a myriad of injuries, including tendon and ligament damage, excessive blisters, stress fractures, and other over-use type injuries. If at any time you experience pain, STOP! Add a second day of rest, and then try again. Continue until you are pain-free. Do not give in to the temptation to “run through the pain.” The soft-tissue injuries that can occur during the foot-strengthening process can set your progress back by weeks or even months. TOO MUCH TOO SOON injuries are the greatest obstacle to successfully transitioning to barefoot running! A fairly universal complaint is often referred to as the “top of the foot pain”; it feels like a dull ache on the top side of your foot. This seems to be a function of your foot anatomy adapting to the different stresses of using new muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Mild soreness is not a major issue. Generally, you can train through this dull ache. If the pain becomes moderate to severe, stop. Rest until the pain subsides. Give this process time and the rewards will be great!

This section 2009-2010 Jason Robillard; used with permission fromThe Barefoot Running Book

Taken from the link posted by Huarache Gal
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Merry Christmas, Happy belated Hanukkah, Joyful Kwanzaa, and finally Happy Festivus for the rest of us!

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hey y'all! I'm sorry I've been MIA. I've got to go back and read. I am doing well and running great. I got completely overwhelmed by Christmas and the doggy running business. So many people went out of town I was dog sitting and running and shopping and cooking and wrapping and cleaning and well, everything else. It was insane. Next year I think we will just donate our money for gifts and the time spend shopping and wrapping them to families who really need it. It was such a hectic mess and then my oldest-who got a MS surface 2 tablet dropped the darn thing and broke it. That about sums up our holiday.

I ran in the smoky mountains for a half that you dress up like Santa I ran really awesome for 10 miles-8:00-8:15's and not so awesome for 3 miles. I came it at 1:50--that is my best in a long, long time. It was flat out fatigue. I don't think it was nutrition at all. I am running a half this Saturday. I am learning a lot about cold weather dressing. I am tolerating a lot more cold than I used too.

I have several back to back halfs in the spring which I am excited about.

I've started to eat copious amounts of cherries I think because I don't want to eat anything else for getting bigger but it is still a binge thing for me, I don't know. It is a mental war but the cherries have won for now. I'm still on higher protein, moderate carb (higher with cherries) and lower fat.

What is y'all's next race?

Drock is offline Member
    Good job on your half, relaygirl.

I have been keeping up with my running somewhat, but am taking a bit of a break. A couple of weeks ago I went out for a run and my foot really started to hurt after about 6.5 miles of a 8-mile run. I walked -er- limped home wondering if I had a stress fracture. My foot actually feels a lot better now after not having run for about 10 days. Thinking of staying off of it until Monday now.

I'm certainly not the racer you are I will do maybe 2 or 3 races per year. I registered for the Cleveland Marathon in May. Training officially starts January 13. That's my only planned race so far for 2014. I will probably do a half in September. Who knows what else? I want to do a 10k this year too. I haven't done an official 10k in a long time (really shortly after I started running), so I want to run one and rock it so I can have a 10k PR that I'm happier with

Loka is offline Senior Member
    Happy New a Year everyone! 😘 Hope it had been a great Christmas & New a Year for all of you!

I haven't been able to run much lately, cos I kinda hurt my legs (not sure if it's hamstrings or what?!?!) during a HIIT run, 😓.... My legs have been really tight & heavy like tons! Plus all the uncontrollable crap binge eating! Literally stuffing fast food & desserts down my throat till I wanna puke 😱.... for the past 2 weeks...sigh....just ain't good for my cholesterol levels & IBS (I'm very sure my doc will faint!).

Hope this new year will be a good start for me to battle my binge eating disorder & also....I've signed up for my first full marathon in May! Not sure if I can make it through the whole 42km, esp when I usually run on empty (can't stomach any food first thing in morning)....but am going to start slowly training soon! 😜

Looking forward to hear any great tips from all ya out there!

Cheers 😊

Loka is offline Senior Member
    Hey Drock, hope your foot gets better soon! Take care!

Cheers 😊

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    Hey y'all! I'm sorry I've been MIA. I've got to go back and read. I am doing well and running great. I got completely overwhelmed by Christmas and the doggy running business. So many people went out of town I was dog sitting and running and shopping and cooking and wrapping and cleaning and well, everything else. It was insane. Next year I think we will just donate our money for gifts and the time spend shopping and wrapping them to families who really need it. It was such a hectic mess and then my oldest-who got a MS surface 2 tablet dropped the darn thing and broke it. That about sums up our holiday.

I ran in the smoky mountains for a half that you dress up like Santa I ran really awesome for 10 miles-8:00-8:15's and not so awesome for 3 miles. I came it at 1:50--that is my best in a long, long time. It was flat out fatigue. I don't think it was nutrition at all. I am running a half this Saturday. I am learning a lot about cold weather dressing. I am tolerating a lot more cold than I used too.

I have several back to back halfs in the spring which I am excited about.

I've started to eat copious amounts of cherries I think because I don't want to eat anything else for getting bigger but it is still a binge thing for me, I don't know. It is a mental war but the cherries have won for now. I'm still on higher protein, moderate carb (higher with cherries) and lower fat.

What is y'all's next race?
    Good job on the 1/2!
    Next race: Shamrock Marathon in March

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Relaygirl, I thought you'd died a turkey and wine related death..
    My next public venture is in march also, and is the jurassic coast marathon.. X3. It's a multi-day event over 70 odd miles over the jurassic coast on Britain. Very hilly. It's been months since I ran more than 3 hours in one stretch, what with work and such, so it should be interesting!

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast