Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 42

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey y'all, I'm going insane with Christmas shopping here. My mother in law is so sick-has been since May so I am shopping for her and she is a Christmas maniac.

Just wanted to let y'all know I GOT HOKA ONE ONE'S!!! I have yet to try them out-the clown shoes of the trail. But someone was selling my size-new for $45 and I had to get them to try. They have almost no drop but they have ultra light super thick soles and several ultra runners are wearing them now.

I am down in the back but it is not my sac joint so I am hoping to be good by Saturday.

Hey Everyone!

I made it back from my folks with only a 2 lb. gain. My Mom's cooking and Thanksgiving were so delicious but I was able to curb my appetite for "bad" foods. So back to the BP coffee and I'm back to my weight before I left. Taking a little time off helped with some aches and pains but I am getting back into the running and will be gunning for a half marathon in March, June, August, and November next year. I may brave up and try and find one more but for me four is a good number to stay active and pain free.

I looked into the NB Minimus shoes and may try and get a pair. One problem is that I have a pair of Newtons that I only wore a handful of times because I never fully tried them and they are just sitting in my closet. Would the transition to the Minimus be just the same result. I wear Asics Gel Cumulus and don't know if I should try the switch. Thoughts?

Loka is offline Senior Member
    Hi Hispanicgamer, welcome back! 😃

👍👍Good job on being able to resist all the "bad" food, cos I don't think I'll have the willpower to - am going on my holiday in a few hours too 😉!

By the way just to share my little experience with my trainers....I've been training with the ASICS Kayanno...loved them! Tried to change to another model, but no matter how long (I give them at least 3 months of trial) I tried, I couldn't get comfortable and experienced a lot of little discomfort here & there (toe numbing, etc)....so I ended up going back to my ASICS again & all was good again! So now I'm faithfully sticking to them! But of cos it's a case by case basis (as I have a case of slight pronation on my left), I guess you may be able to adjust to different models easily.

I'm also thinking of doing my first full marathon next year. Never ran 42km before! Am a little worried so I'm wondering if any advice on how long I should at least be training for before I attempt?

Cheers 😊

Thanks Loka! When I got into running the Kayano was my shoe but now that I weigh less I switched to the Cumulus going from cushioned to a neutral shoe. I tried on the Minimus and ran on a treadmill and the shoe actually felt fine. I think I need to sell my Newtons and take the proceeds and but the NB Minimus shoes.

As far as training goes, my running club uses a 22 week training regimen. That being said, it is intended for people just getting into running. Since you are a runner I'm guessing you can get the fitness in 12-15 weeks, barring injuries, if you are in a rush. There are plenty of training plans out there to try. I would recommend Cool Running site, Here. Take a look and see if it can work for you.

Happy running!

Hey y'all! Still crazy here. I picked up ANOTHER doggy client-but it is a small dog so it is just a 1 mile walk. I haven't tried my Hoka's yet. I kind of want to try them in the dark because they are crazy looking.

I am running a half on Sunday. It is cold everywhere in the US, I think--I am freezing. I can't get warm from being outside all day long. I have good layers and I am switching it up to see what works best. I am great while I am actually running but I can't warm up my hands and feet before I go out and run again.

I had bought Mizuno Wave Creations online from someone for $35. I put them on and hated them--now I LOVE them. They are a hearty shoe and I think I being out in the rain and cold just made them very comfortable for me.

I have not gotten on the scale lately but I feel good.

Sorry, just saw how ineffective a smiley is here. Must remember that this isn't facebook!

No craziness here but I am looking forward to training for the Rock and Roll Half in June and the San Diego Half in March. There's a 10K and 15K interspersed in there but as far as the first half of the year goes, this is it. Still trying to determine if I can justify the zero heel shoes........
    Last edited by Hispanicgamer; 12-11-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Loka is offline Senior Member
    Hi hi I'm just back from my Bangkok holiday....haha didn't managed to resist all the sinful ice cream everyday but I was happy 😜....no deprivation or depression or binge eating in the middle of the night at least...

Thanks for the tips Hispanicgamer, will slowly start my training, think I'll give myself about 4 to 5 months, should be in good chance to finished my first full marathon in May! 😊

Cheers 😊

HG-you can always justify new shoes. We are runners.

I ran sprints with my most athletic doggies today-a pair. I was running faster than them sometimes. A beautiful golden and a lab/chow mix.

I would have had a good eating day but I MADE ICE CREAM! Arghhhh! Must not make ice cream. I panned it off on the kids ASAP but I ate a lot getting it out of the machine...a lot. It didn't have sugar in it but it still gets me a spike with the honey, stevia and the overload of cream.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Silly question about running gear... I have done a couple of runs lately in the rain, and because it was a little windy and cold, it was a miserable experience. What rain gear do you recommend? I just picked up a light Frogg Toggs rainsuit, but I'm not sure how durable it will be long term. I also got a pair of Under Armour runners gloves that are wind and waterproof. Just curious what other runners wear in cold rainy conditions.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Silly question about running gear... I have done a couple of runs lately in the rain, and because it was a little windy and cold, it was a miserable experience. What rain gear do you recommend? I just picked up a light Frogg Toggs rainsuit, but I'm not sure how durable it will be long term. I also got a pair of Under Armour runners gloves that are wind and waterproof. Just curious what other runners wear in cold rainy conditions.
    In rain, if it's humid also, just a waterproof. If cold, that, and a thermal. In winter now, I wear thinsulate wool gloves. I find all the 'running gloves' do next to nothing for keeping my hands warm.
    I've found a neck-warmer thing, and that plus a wooly hat plus aforementioned gear keeps me toasty. I always wear shorts, no socks.

Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast