Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 41

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I'm good. "Run" is a subjective term... I think it means anything that is not a walk, skip, jump or gallop. Good luck with it! May your feet be fast and your body able to keep up.
    Thanks!
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

I did it! My first-ever 5K! I know, that's a baby race for pretty much everyone here, but I'm very proud. I had ACL reconstruction surgery on my left knee/hamstring in early January -- looks like my 8+ months of physical therapy have paid off!!!

My husband and I did a 5K training program for five weeks, leading up to today's race. My unofficial time was about 37 minutes (my Runkeeper tracker said I hit 3.11 miles before I crossed the finish line, and I didn't hit STOP until about 10 seconds after I actually stopped); I think the official time was 37:18. My average pace was 11:50 -- and I'm so happy about that! When I trained, I was regularly in the 12s. My husband did a great job -- he finished in just over 27 minutes. So proud of him!

The jogging is to help me build my endurance for sparring in tae kwon do (I'm going for my black belt in May), not for the love of running. But I'm going to stick with it; I'd like to get to a point where doing 3 miles is rather easy/increase my time. I'm almost 43 and really short - not even five feet - with short legs; don't know if that means I'll be slow no matter what, but I'm going to see if I can get faster.

So my next jog -- not for training -- will be this Saturday...just because. Going to stick with it and see what happens!

Loka is offline Senior Member
    Good job JackieKessler 👍😃. Keep it up!

Cheers 😊

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Great job racing duong and Jackie!

I have had a crazy week-I was in Florida for the beginning. I loved running super early. I did a lot of sprinting on the beach road. It was very cold and windy the whole time we were there but I enjoy getting up early and heading out. With running my doggy clients I only get this on the weekend at home and it was nice to get out every day. I ate a lot of fresh grouper-not a lot of veggies

We came home so I could run the Thanksgiving day half--Yay! 1:52. I felt awesome and went to my trainer today and squatted and did push presses and a little WOD and I was fine. I was overdressed even in the 25 degree weather. I had on cold gear leggings with my skirt with the compression shorts connected to them pulled up over-it was just too much elastic at my waist and I was very uncomfortable. I should have just run with the leggings. I ate nothing during the race-had coffee with a little mct and protein powder before. I wasn't hungry after either and just came home and ate at lunch like normal.

BUT I was a little piggy at Thanksgiving. Not because it was so good-I think it was a little emotional eating because my family drives me crazy. It was a little addict like, sneaking a cookie, etc. I hate that. But it is over. My mom is gone back home to Alabama.

I am running a half Dec 7. I hope it is warmer.

Thanks, Loka and relaygirl!

Whoa Relaygirl, congrats on your Thanksgiving half - that is great timing! 👍. I'm sure you'll do well for your half on dec 7 too!

By the way, just got a silly question 😜 - I usually like to run first thing in the morning, be it HIIT on the treadmill or a long 2 hour jog outdoors. And I usually only have a cup of black coffee n nothing else. But I carb load on my dinner the night before. Does that still consider running on empty? If not, what's considered running on empty? (I've tried to not have carbs the night before but I find that I can't sustain longer than 14km if I do that &#128542.

Cheers 😊

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Nice job, Jackie!!! Welcome to the crazy club.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loka View Post
    Whoa Relaygirl, congrats on your Thanksgiving half - that is great timing! 👍. I'm sure you'll do well for your half on dec 7 too!

By the way, just got a silly question 😜 - I usually like to run first thing in the morning, be it HIIT on the treadmill or a long 2 hour jog outdoors. And I usually only have a cup of black coffee n nothing else. But I carb load on my dinner the night before. Does that still consider running on empty? If not, what's considered running on empty? (I've tried to not have carbs the night before but I find that I can't sustain longer than 14km if I do that &#128542.

Cheers 😊
    It does count. I'd define being fasted to mean your body's digestion process has finished with it's last meal.
    It can be done without a carb load, but fat burning to carb burning is dependent on intensity; nothing new there, and fitness. The fitter you are, the more mitochondria, the better able you are to utilize and convert f. acids into usable energy etc. and lower HR means more fat oxidation, and less dependence on glucose
    Personally, i run a shit ton of hills for 2 hours, carb loading for me is pretty essential, especially since I have an active job afterwards (I run to work)
    Don't forget, 2 hours of running most days, or that amount of running isn't 'natural' by any definitions. We must take advantage of the better available energy sources that authentic hunter gatherers cannot access.. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Nice job, Jackie!!! Welcome to the crazy club.
    Thanks, Jenn! Now I just have to hope that my left calf gets significantly less sore so that I can jog tomorrow. :P

[QUOTE=Jenry Hennings;1372489] .........and lower HR means more fat oxidation, and less dependence on glucose......

Oh......lower HR = more fat oxidation? I like that ! 😜 cos I realised that my HR has been getting & maintaining low for a longer period of time during my runs nowadays.....

Cheers 😊

Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast