Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 36

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Great races, Loka and relaygirl!

I had another great race doing "train high; race low." Weather was perfect: 57F and sunny.

I had been sick and am still not quite 100%

My goal was to finish the half marathon under 10:00/mile (2:11ish).

First 3 miles were bad for me. Then I hit my groove. The second half felt great. Holy negative split, Batman.

I finished in 2:12:55...but it was kind of ghettoly-organized. At the finish line people with garmins said their watches were all saying around 13.7 miles. When I got home I measured on mapmyrun based on the path that Nike + drew on my phone. Came up with around 13.6! So my pace was 9:46/mile.
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 166#, 30" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Wow Loka, Drock and Jenn!!! Yay! Awesome times and attitudes. I love it.

Loka-you need to settle in to a steady diet. I am doing so much better in EVERY aspect of my life with a regular schedule, good food.

You too, Jenn on the food. No more junk! Even while running! Your 15 + is fanstastic. You look at mileage in a whole new light when you keep going and going.

I can't believe how much better I am feeling. I still can't get my super hot jeans on, but I am close-I've about half my jeans I can wear (remember I have a shopping problem so there are a lot of them). AND at starbucks yesterday some guy asked me how old I was, 29 or 30. Really, he was only being a little bit funny. We were talking and he said it the running must keep me younger but I think it is the food. I didn't go into my food lecture because people seem to tune me out...

Did I tell y'all I started adding this to my coffee/protein shakes?

Great Lakes Gelatin, Collagen Hydrolysate (Kosher) 16-Ounce: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

It is gelatin-this is the version you can put in cold things too. Grass Fed Girl talks about it in her smoothies all the time in her blog. I think it is really making a difference. I drink my broth still but I think I am getting more of the benefits with the regular collagen. I have been using 2 tsp, usually 3 times a day. I can see a difference in my skin for sure. I am hoping maybe eventually it will help tighten up my belly-which is deflated, yay!, but now kind of saggy (at least I look better in clothes).

Feeling better, I had a high mileage weekend and did back to back 13's with my dogs--1st day on trail and yesterday we left at 5 am and hit the neighborhoods. A deer ran in front of us when we were in the streets yesterday and Dixie, the red tick coonhound, went nuts-we ran the last 2 miles super fast

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    OMG guys... I can't move tonight! Everything is SOOO incredibly sore. I should have picked one - 20k trails or 25k flat... not both. lol I. AM. HURTING. Not like injured hurting, but really really bad DOMS hurting. I could go for about 35 lbs of epsom salts in a bath sore. I only have one pound so I guess I'll just soak my feet.

I tried to stay up and moving around today to help work out the soreness, and I spent some time with The Stick. I really think a salt bath is all that is going to help speed this up at this point - even did an ice bath when I came home yesterday. lol OH well.

Back to back 13's? No thanks. lol Kudos to you for making that work.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    OMG guys... I can't move tonight! Everything is SOOO incredibly sore. I should have picked one - 20k trails or 25k flat... not both. lol I. AM. HURTING. Not like injured hurting, but really really bad DOMS hurting. I could go for about 35 lbs of epsom salts in a bath sore. I only have one pound so I guess I'll just soak my feet.

I tried to stay up and moving around today to help work out the soreness, and I spent some time with The Stick. I really think a salt bath is all that is going to help speed this up at this point - even did an ice bath when I came home yesterday. lol OH well.

Back to back 13's? No thanks. lol Kudos to you for making that work.
    back t back 13's???? Isn't that, like, a marathon? I feel you pain. I did 20 on Sunday, according to the Nike Fit app on my Ipod Touch... and my legs are really sore.. going up stairs isn't too bad... going down them sucks.... oh, good job on completing 26 miles!

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Great job this weekend, Jenn! Take some time off to rest and recover.

I'm so sorry. I posted relaygirl's name in my post when I meant you. Sorry.

I was wondering about the whole gelatin thing after reading the BPexec's website. I may have to include that in my BP coffee, which is becoming quite the concoction! This is my second week of having BP coffee in the morning and so far so good. I can't wait for Sunday to see how well I hope to do. Have a good week everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    back t back 13's???? Isn't that, like, a marathon? I feel you pain. I did 20 on Sunday, according to the Nike Fit app on my Ipod Touch... and my legs are really sore.. going up stairs isn't too bad... going down them sucks.... oh, good job on completing 26 miles!
    I didn't do back to back 13's... relaygirl did.

Right now, my shins and quads are the most angry with me. They actually hurt - like not DOMS pain, but actual pain with tender spots. I plan to rest all week to allow them to recover - and will eat good foods, increase protein and all that jazz for the repairs.

I think I met my limit this weekend. My currently limit, anyway. It's a limit that I fully intend to break. 15.5 miles might have been perfectly do-able on flat terrain and 12.4 miles on trails might have been completely do-able. But 15.5 miles on trails might have been a bit much for me at this time. Oh well. I did it. I'm not injured - just extremely sore. I will recover to run another day.

yes, going up and down stairs is terrible... in fact, I don't remember climbing the stairs to my office, so I must have blacked that memory out already.

Loka is offline Senior Member
    Do take care & rest well jenn26point2..... My knees are feeling kinda weak & sore too, so I intend to rest for this week or at least 5 days maybe? Don't wish to aggravate it in case I won't be able to run in the future....I'll be devastated 😱. Take care! 😉

Cheers 😊

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    The pain gets easier! I was walking like a old man with a fake hip and false leg after my first marathon for a week. After my 52 miler this summer, it took 3 days. And I didn't walk like a cripple, just looked like I'd been dead-legged..
    Last edited by Jenry Hennings; 11-12-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did the stairs a bit ago... up was no problem. Down was a bit uncomfortable, but nothing I couldn't handle without the banister.

Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast