Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 32

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    hispanicgamer- what about running fasted during the week and then eat normally Friday, Sat-just through the long run just while you are adjusting?

I feel great. I have no idea what I weigh but I am getting back into my clothes. Yay!!! WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF??? I am done with it. I need to focus on how good I feel and how kick a** I am running and not get bogged down with the rest of life and turn to ice cream because it sucks. Its not that bad, but taking care of 3 kids is driving me insane.

It is going to be 30 on my overnight leg for the relay! I am bringing my fleece lined leggings. No rain in the forecast though and I know the colors are going to be awesome because it is pretty down here in Georgia.

I am really relaxing about food this time. I am not going to add but a few hundred K of balanced P, F and C over night-the rest I am going to keep as basic as possible. I am going to buy a big stainless thermos though to accommodate my coffee-when I can get it I am going to fill up the big thing to make sure I have 'enough'.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I hope that you have a view despite it being overnight when you run. And by view, I mean looking down on a city full of lights or something pretty like that. 30 degrees is freaking cold!!

I hear ya on the diet issues. I veered way off course for a couple of weeks and have put 10 lbs back on as a result. *facepalm* Today's Day 3 back on track. We'll get back to where we were in no time flat.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn-stick to your plan because in a week you will already feel better. My husband told me I looked thin today. I guess I diligently started back 5 weeks ago? And I have on one of my favorite running tops-extra tight, long sleeve chocolate brown with the pink heart on the sleeve. I am so happy. Although I am not going to be wearing the running tights without an extra long top

I've got my meatballs and boiled eggs! I will have chili and broccoli for breakfast before I leave. There is a whole food at the race start so I might go through the hot bar and cold bar there if I feel like spending the money.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    How do you all treat ITB syndrome? I have read quite a few articles on using foam rollers, ice, rest, NSAIDs, squats etc as methods to treat ITB syndrome. In my previous running "career" when I was on active duty, I was training for the same marathon I am training for now. I developed pain in the R knee, on the outside of the knee, and it got so bad that it was hard to walk. I stopped running, and never went back to it until last year.... Just curious if anyone has experienced ITB syndrome, and what they did to treat it.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    How do you all treat ITB syndrome? I have read quite a few articles on using foam rollers, ice, rest, NSAIDs, squats etc as methods to treat ITB syndrome. In my previous running "career" when I was on active duty, I was training for the same marathon I am training for now. I developed pain in the R knee, on the outside of the knee, and it got so bad that it was hard to walk. I stopped running, and never went back to it until last year.... Just curious if anyone has experienced ITB syndrome, and what they did to treat it.
    As i type, I have a pain in my ITB, although it's not full blown. I personally walk around about 80% in bare feet/socks at home, but as I work in traditional smart shoes, I find more niggles. My answer? Change your shoes if possible. Carry on with what you're doing, as many of these running problems stem from weak lower limbs and feet so strengthening them would be logical. I run a lot, as previous posts would tell, but only get pain when i wear smart, un-natural shoes.
    If by 'active duty' you mean military, and I can speak from experience when i say the boots and weight and heel striking marches are NOT helping shit!

I suffered from ITB for 3 of my 5 marathons and finally looked into Chi running. I was a heel striker and I followed Danny Dreyer's system and never suffered from it again. I would take a look at his site and see if it looks like something you might want to try. I continue to roll out my legs and that most certainly continues to help.

Hey Relay girl have a good run! I'm looking forward to my 10 mile run tomorrow and will bring "supplies" to use only if I'm feeling like I'm crashing and burning. Also, I will eat more starch tonight to see if that will improve my running fasted.

I can't type too much-I'm on my phone. I also swear by chi running as well.

I just finished my 1st leg- 8 miles at 8.24 minute miles!!! I can't believe it. The best I've run in a very long time. Thanks y'all for all the encouragement and support. Just wanted to let you know!

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I have posted this on this link and others...i swear by it as i had ITB injury for many months with no relief from stretching, resting etc. Second i ran again, i had to stop after 1km. SO frustrating.

Check out ITB Rehab Routine – Video Demonstration
    Do it RELIGIOUSLY and as often as mentioned on the site. Seriously. After a few weeks I could run again! Since then i make sure i do strength exercises at least twice a week (also very primal! squats, lunges, deadlifts, core/planks etc) and i also run on more minimalist shoes (NB minimus and Pace gloves). Zero ITB recurrence in 2 years!
    I cannot speak more highly of the strength running website. You have to keep all those supporting muscles strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    Hispanic,
    In no way am i trying to refute your method, but as was mentioned, you must learn to suffer! With that, do not be afraid to walk during a long run, especially with the aim of no food. If you got to mile 8 and thought, 'Need. Sugar. Now!' To the point where you can't construct a sentence, walk that last mile if needs be. Just do anything to get there. When I started, I ran 5 miles out and back. It hurt. I walked. Felt like a wimp when people saw me walk, personal pride and all, but now I run 2 hours, hilly as you like, fasted, sometimes with no dinner the night before.. Daily! To use the 'wall' analogy, it's a case of chipping through the wall with nothing but your bare hands, as opposed to the jackhammer that is glucose.
    Okay, today I ran 10 miles fasted of which, the last 3 were brutal. I carried a water bottle with nuun and had two Stinger gels with me but I never ate them. I felt good at the start of my run and did really well but as I got to mile 7 my HR was creeping above 75%Max and I would have to eventually walk about 0.1 mile before I would start to run again. I had to run walk miles 8 and 9. I decided to run the last mile regardless of my HR which went up to 85%Max. Overall, I believe I suffered and will continue the training to see if I can run farther before having to run walk.

So Relay you're into running skirts, well I'm into running socks. Today I wore my black Martini Time socks and will celebrate my first completely fasted long run tonight with a Martini. Hope your race went well!

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Hispanicgamer View Post
    Okay, today I ran 10 miles fasted of which, the last 3 were brutal. I carried a water bottle with nuun and had two Stinger gels with me but I never ate them. I felt good at the start of my run and did really well but as I got to mile 7 my HR was creeping above 75%Max and I would have to eventually walk about 0.1 mile before I would start to run again. I had to run walk miles 8 and 9. I decided to run the last mile regardless of my HR which went up to 85%Max. Overall, I believe I suffered and will continue the training to see if I can run farther before having to run walk.
    Congratulations! That's really good news! You'll soon be saving money and pocket space by keeping this up!
    One thing I will question though is monitoring your HR. I've never done it, and think there are too many variables that mean it's not entirely accurate. On the flipside, because you have, I would see about lowering intensity for running fasted FOR NOW. In other words, take it easy! Breath easy. Also higher intensities rely more on carbohydrates than fat, but once the appropriate adaptions are made, such as increase in muscle mitochondria, you can easily resume higher intensity in a fasted state.
    Nonetheless, it sounded like your body got the wake up call it needed! Keep at it!

Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast