Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 26

Primal Fuel
    Finally made it to the end! Hi Relaygirl! I originally found your post searching for marathon training. You got me interested in BP coffee and am trying it now in the form with tea. For most of my life, I think I have always been at 20% or more body fat and until I found MDA and the benefits of going Primal I struggled to get my weight down. Now, I was never obese, I was always in the Overweight range of the BMI scale. Now that I have been living Primal I have taken my weight down from 193lbs to 180lbs. I'm a 6' male 51 yo and have been an avid runner for the past 10 years. The thing that interested me about your early posts was the concept of running via ketogenesis. I am curious to try it because I would love to burn more of this body fat and preserve my LMM. I finally reached the end of the posts and I haven't seen you mention BP coffee. Do you still do it? If not, and pardon if you explained why before, why did you stop? I'm really interested also in your Ice Cream cravings and wondered if it is your body craving calcium or calories? Anyway, I have enjoyed reading all the posts and will continue to follow them. Thanks!
    Last edited by Hispanicgamer; 10-09-2013 at 10:35 PM.

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hey Hispanicgamer--a few months ago when I decided to lean out I quit BP coffee. Now that said, I occasionally have it or a coffee with egg before a long run. I was straight up BP coffee fasting before. I think butter and MCT oil with coffee is awesome prerace if your stomach can handle it. I am surprised I never had any problems because I don't have a gallbladder.

Okay now I have upped my protein, my running performance has improved lately. I have gotten to the 1:50's in my half marathon and pulled out a super fast 5k a month ago or whenever it was. Looking back at my "stats" from several years ago, I ran 25 half marathons at 1:45 or less. This half I ran on Sunday, I think was my 55th half (I have to check).

I honestly feel that metabolically I am flexible. I think when I started this post last August or whatever, I was struggling with being ketogenic only, bonking, etc. I think bringing up the protein and carbs a bit many months AFTER having being fat adapted has helped me be flexible. I still get that rocket fuel surge about half way through that I feel like is a true fat burn. After a race I don't have to reload carbs or anything to run the next day.

I think this flexibility has made me a more comfortable runner. I don't feel like I have had the crap kicked out of me at the end of the race.

Today I am still at 50% protein, 25 fat, 25 CHO. Most of last year I ran at 50% fat, sometimes more.

The ice cream, I think is my crack. I am just an addict. I am so lucky I am not addicted to Percocet or alcohol. I can function being addicted to ice cream and hey, it's legal. But it causes all the symptoms of alcohol or drug withdrawal and I know my brain uses it seeking out the pleasure from the sugar and fat. And it makes me puffy and fat even though I run a ton of miles every week. I am just a 41 year old woman trying to drown out the insanity of 3 kids and a husband who works all the time. I also have other issues that the ice cream calls to. I am sure I need lots of therapy but I found it cuts into my running time and money for more shoes.

I'm on a good roll right now of not wanting ice cream--wanting my hot 27 " Miss Me jeans instead. I'm sure I am a running addict too. Yes, I am primal and I am a running addict. There I just flat out said it! There is nothing more to do about it

Okay, other marked changes in the past few months on more protein--gains in lifting and physically I have a lot more definition. This is one of the reasons why I think I want to push the weight loss more because I know I have such a strong core so I know my rock hard abs are under there I have lost some fat in my back and it looks really good.

I did not gain lbs on the BP coffee fast but I could not lose at all after many, many months. I did not have as many gains in lifting. I did adapt to fat burning and made myself a better equipped runner for longer distances (and my crazy lifestyle).

Hispanicgamer-what races are you running this fall?

The wife and I are going to run the Silver Strand Half in November. We have run this every year for the past 7 years. It's pretty flat but sometimes San Diego will get a heat wave in November like it did 3 years ago and it's not much fun. Then we chill out til January when we start training with our running club for the San Diego Rock and Roll Half in June. We are thinking of trying for the San Diego Half in March? which friends of ours said was fun.
    We both ran Marathons starting in 2003 as a way to keep our weight in check but like I stated my weight never seemed to go down. The PB has proven to me what I was missing all along that it's the grains or carbs that held from losing weight. My ultimate goal is to get to 170 with 10% body fat. I love running but I always hated the huffing and puffing I was going through. Now that I'm 13 lbs lighter I feel slightly faster but like everyone on the boards, I'm looking for that perfect mix of P/C/F.
    Thanks again for keeping your thread alive and with all your knowledge!

Hispanicgamer-in my experience, the thinner I have been, the faster I have run. I'm not sure if it was always the best thing but for me it was true. I find I am looking for the perfect macro's too. I truly think that not everyone can eat tons of fat like Nora Gedgaudas and Dave Asprey said. Can I eat 300 g of carbs either? No. So, I am trying to find the right balance too. March in San Diego sounds awesome to run

A lot of times I get in a food and information frenzy trying to make everything just right in a primall-y kind of way. Really when I keep things simple with meat and veg the rest falls into place.

I am feeling so good today. I ran 8 miles easy--even after training this morning with a ton of squat presses and big a** tire flips. Diet is everything for me. I did start my day with a bp coffee with .5 tbl mct, .5 tbl butter---way less that I used to do.

My husband and I have medical exams for our life insurance coming up! I hate this. We can say "oh, my cholesterol is high because i'm paleo, my bmi does not work because of lifting, etc." but really they don't care-you either fall in the parameters for a good rate or you don't. Each of my legs probably weighs 50 lbs a piece they are so stacked with muscle. This is not conducive to a "normal" bmi.

My youngest son is 7 and he just had his check up--did I say this already? He was right on the edge of the normal/high bmi chart and the Dr. gave me a warning. The kid is standing there shirtless (scared out of mind he is getting a shot or a finger prick) and he is CUT--like awesomely young boyish looking cut--so cute and natural-looking like he runs free like a wild animal outside every day. (he does pretty much get home from school and relieve himself of shirt and shoes and goes outside and just runs, plays Frisbee, plays basketball, anything) He is 99% for height and 95% for weight. There is no way there is anything unhealthy about his body mass.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    My son is also in the 95th for both height and weight. My doctor says not to worry about his weight b/c he's so high in height as well, so it supposedly balances out, but b/c of his age, he is in the bad boy range on the BMI charts. My son is 6 and weighs 76 lbs. He's not cut, but his height supposedly balances him. He also loves to run and ride his bike and do all things active. Hubby says I need to take him on runs with me. Right now, he can run a half mile faster than me. We haven't tried for longer. If I take him running with me, I'm torn between buying him a good pair of running shoes and getting him vibrams. Mama runs in vibrams.

Thank you for the recap of your experiments. It was interesting to see how certain things have or haven't worked for you.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

HispanicGamer, any fears that the San Diego Rock & Roll Half will be cancelled like others have been?

Hi Jen,

I don't think Competitor will cut the run because it keeps growing every year. I loved this year's half marathon course but felt sad for the Full folks who had to run down into Mission Valley on I-163 and then go back up it at mile 20. That just looked brutal! Hopefully the number of Half folks will keep Competitor wanting it to continue especially since they are getting up to $140 per entry!

I know there are a lot of runners who are ticked about the East Coast and Midwest R&R runs being cancelled and have said they'll never sign up for another R&R run... it's a bummer b/c I was interested in a couple of them. Oh well. There are enough other races in our area that I can get my fills.

The only R & R's I have done are Savannah and the Country Music. They are so, so big! But I enjoyed them. In Savannah I remembered how poorly I felt. I had qualified for A corral and you are in there with all these elite athletes and I look like a housewife with a skirt on in a sea of super fit men. The gun goes off and they just go incredibly fast-they are already in the front, who are they trying to beat? Not feeling well, I started very slow. I kind just had to keep my head down and run and use the portapotties along the way. Well, I looked up at the end and I finished in 1:47! I was so happy. Then I had a 2 mile walk to the hotel-not fun.

I hiked with a friend this morning 5.5, ran 4, and then walked 3 with my last client. I am just tired. My big toe joint really hurts-maybe it is turf toe? We have 2 baseball games and 2 lacrosse games tomorrow so I think I am going to take the day off-I kind of get really nervous doing that. And then when I see people running when I am on my way to wherever I get really mental. Okay, I am a nutcase.

I hit 100 carbs today with some nuts and chia seeds mixed with a greek yogurt. Hopefully, it won't stall my weight loss for my big life insurance physical.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I finally got my MCT oil and will try the real BP tea, I prefer tea. I was using coconut oil while I waited for my oil to get here. I will then go for an 8-9 mile run to see if I am capable of running on fat. I have promised myself a nice juicy burger, no bun of course, and a nice cold beer. Also picked up some nuun tabs and will take it in my water bottle.

Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast