Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 25

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ya check out that strength training site for examples but you don't need to go to the gym...squats, lunges, step ups. those would all be helpful. of course if you have some of those elastics clamshells and side steps with tension are awesome.
    good luck!

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    I liked this little basic article-it talks about the changes our bodies go thru when we start to run longer.

Why Should Long Runs Be Slower? | Runner's World

I guess I just hear here and other places how negative running is on our bodies. I like to see the positives pointed out. I wonder what weightlifting alone does to resting heart rate? I need to look it up.

I took today off from my trainer. I could not fathom doing squats today because my low back is so achy. I have a half on Sunday so I am going to take it easy the next few days. I will run slowly my doggy clients and that is it. I will just walk my own dogs on Saturday morning.

I bought someone's number. I know it is weird but I have never done that! I feel funny about not being official and I think her corral is at the back. It is a popular race through nice neighborhoods-it is tight at the beginning which will be even more slower. I will have to see how this affects my racing. I might just take it easy since my back is hurting and enjoy the ride. My relay is in 3 weeks.

Any races this weekend for other readers?

Hey y'all-I had an awesome race on Sunday! I ran 1:55 with someone else's number on the hilliest course ever. I could have done better but I shifted down at mile 8 and didn't really push it after that. I had hamstring pain from my low back down my leg and a new one this week-the big toe joint.

I think maybe I need new shoes. this is tough because right now I am rotating 4 pairs--which ones do I throw away? I need to monitor this better.

My friend ran/walked the race and she is 31 weeks pregnant! It took her 3 hours 3 min. She didn't just jump into it-she has run the whole pregnancy but just recently had to slow down a lot. They gave her 2 medals at the finish-1 for the baby

I ate a little more after the race-I had some fruit from a Publix buffet after and then I ate 3 scrambled eggs with 1/2 avocado at lunch. I had protein shake in the afternoon and then shredded Mexican chicken with spinach, spaghetti squash, and roasted tomatoes at dinner. I made a gallon of chicken stock off the whole chicken in the pressure cooker! It is so, so good.

Before the race I had a coffee with protein powder at 4am, another coffee with protein powder at 6 am. I used nuun during the race with a salt tab at mile 6 and at mile 9. I should have had like an egg/sweet pot hash at 4 am then the coffee at 6-but I didn't plan very well.

I am really pushing the broth hoping I can tell a difference in my joints. My hands are hurting lately-my dad has RA-so I am going to be hard core with no cheating. I will see if I can get relief still using the protein but the rest clean, but if not after a month I will switch off of that.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Do read carefully the ingredient list on the protein powder. Since RA is an autoimmune disease, almost any "new" compound could make it through a leaky gut and trigger a flare. Possibly an elimination diet followed by very careful challenges would isolate a culprit and you'd know what is/isn't safe. My father had RA flareups for a while that were amazingly painful in his hands. I remember how very inflamed they were, and wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Annlee-thank you--it is in my hands now. I am worried that the big toe joint is RA too. I am trying just to not think about it right now. When I weight lift my wrists kill me. So I am going to watch this. I am still trying to get the last few pounds off so I am going to give it a month and then evaluate again. I've got to get in these stupid jeans or I won't have any fall clothes! Every ounce is a struggle.

I wonder if there are professional athletes with RA or crossfitters with RA.

My dad was very active all during his life, he is a retired Colonel, he played tennis and racquetball several times a week. We hiked and walked a lot growing up. He had 2 hip replacements and now the RA is causing severe psoriasis. It is really uncomfortable and yucky. He is 78. His diet is crap and always has been. He was always trim looking though and to my parents that = health. But my dad and I both are "suck it up" kind of people with pain-he collapsed a lung in battle and kept fighting, so that is what I grew up with.

Speaking of pain-my back pain is gone! Yay! I just have residual soreness from running the race. I am weightlifting today so it will be a test to see how I feel tomorrow. I just have 2 dogs to run so I can take it easy there.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    My maternal grandfather had RA and my mom has been tested (negative) for it. I have pain in one finger joint (first joint of index finger) and the big toe joint pain. My chiropractor does not think it's early onset RA, and actually got the pain to subside significantly through a really intense Active Release session. OMG I was climbing the walls as she was working that joint! It was horrid, but the after effects have been amazing! I can now run pain free on that foot! I hope you can get your RA under control. If you have access to it, I would recommend a chiropractor who does A.R.T. It's amazing stuff.

My next race is a hilly one on October 20. I still haven't signed up - which is probably a good thing b/c I've developed an ITBS issue (left leg) and a weird calf issue (right leg). I haven't researched it very much, but I suspect my soleus is in need of some attention - as is my diet. 10 day "eat whatever you want" experiment... bad choice during half marathon training! EEP!

That is so awesome about the double medal for your friend and baby. How cool!

Congrats on the 1:55 finish... I can only dream of having a 1:55 finish!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn!!! watch the soleus-this was the cause of my double stress fracture in 2011. I had a damaged soleus and gastroc in my left leg-put too much stress on the Achilles and then when I kept running through all of that I stressed my heel. Ice, ibuprofen, elevation. Hills are crazy on the ITBS.

My chiro is ART--but is $88 a visit!!! I used up all my insurance covered visits several months ago and then I go when I can't stand it anymore and pay the $88. I wonder if I could negotiate a lower price if I go so many more times this year or something like that.

Wow, I feel so much better when my diet is good. I am so much less puffy too.

I am looking forward to my Tennessee Ragnar-I hope I can pull good times for the team. My race this weekend helped to feel more confident about that. I saw one of my team members there and he flew past me at mile 5. He probably finished in 1:40.

No back pain so far and I back squatted today and did the sumo deadlift. My hammies feel a lot looser but when I started to run my first doggies I was so tight-I am sure I looked crazy.

Does anyone else bench press?

I do!

I have been doing some research and the pain seems to be in the peroneus brevis... what worries me about this is that it could also be compartment syndrome, based on where I feel the pain. I hope it's not b/c that requires a long extended rest and possibly surgery. Hoping my ART doc can fix me up - none of the literature I looked at said anything about ART, but I know ART is a relatively new form of "medicine" so there may be no literature on it. I could also be over-reacting.

In any event, I made it about .83 miles before I had to stop today. The burning was so intense! Up until that point, I felt awesome! I have an appointment with my ART chiro on Thursday (she's closed tomorrow). I conferred with a long time runner and have decided to forego all running except my long run on Sunday in lieu of some strength training. My form is off and I think it's due to lack of ST. I haven't lifted since probably June or July. idk, Fitocracy won't let me go back that far in my logs. Either way, it's been too long. Core and glutes will be getting a workout over the next couple of weeks to get built back up. I haven't lost much. And then I'll work to keep it in my routine instead of only running. My max on squats was 110 before I took my break and I easily squatted 100 5x today.

jenn why did you take a break from lifting?

thinking back to when I was at my peak as a runner- end of 2010 to end of 2011-I did not lift at all then. I only ran until mid 2011 then I started cross fit. I was about 135-140 lbs. That is not super light but had some muscle (not like now). I am 5'7". I just can't believe how much I have changed since then. When I started cross fitting I starting adding a lot of muscle and fat. I think I have lost sight of what my goal is.

Do I want to run fast, be super strong, fit in my jeans, not get sick?

I found it hard to keep it all up so the lifting took a back seat. Plus, when I see the ART doc, I go on lift days, which at the time took me down to lifting only one day a week and it hardly seemed worth it. Now my work schedule/training schedule has changed, I could lift 2-3x per week, depending on whether or not I see the ART doc.

Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast