Page 24 of 55 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 24

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I ran a 9 miler fasted. I have run all of my runs (long, short, and a half marathon) without mid-race fuel. The last was the exception. For whatever reason, I wasn't doing well on that run - I think it might be b/c I went out too fast.
    And by the sounds of things, that, plus not being sufficiently carb loaded seemed to undo you.. But at least you identified the problem. Progress! Evolution! You'll be cultivating wheat products soon

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    And by the sounds of things, that, plus not being sufficiently carb loaded seemed to undo you.. But at least you identified the problem. Progress! Evolution! You'll be cultivating wheat products soon
    This made me laugh.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by Adan Bailey View Post
    I love marathon and always ready to participate in marathon events. I do practice and have lots of potential to participate in events.

Bench Scale
    Whatever dude... take your spam somewhere else...

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    hey everyone! apparently my notifications didn't work.

no races for me lately as i live in the boondocks BUT i move back to civilization end of October! am psyched! mainly because i found a great group of folks for trail running. i'm hoping to do a good 3-4 halfs and then a bunch of trail races next year. there has been discussion of a trail ultra but i'm making no promises! mainly i'm just excited to find some like minded people to run with.

diet has been decent...been in canning mode lately! canning paleo ketchup as we speak! i'm definitely not VLC as it didn't work well for me at all. but still sticking with root veg and my go-to lately has been zoodles! omg i hadn't had pasta in so long and it made me sad. but no more tears cause zoodles are unbelievably satisfying and made me realize, it's all about the sauce!

highly recommend them if you haven't tried. oh and cauliflower asian rice....SO GOOD!

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hey y'all! I'm picking up ANOTHER doggy client starting Thursday. It is a great dane though and he only runs 2 miles. This makes my minimum a day 9 miles for dog running clients right now. But I usually go more with my first ones of the day because they are athletes and can go up to 9 miles just them. This is M-F. I do the doggy minimum on Tues-Thurs because those are the days I go to the trainer and I can barely walk but I have to go run the dogs anyway. There is a cancellation for 1 day a week usually so it saves me 1 day.

knife-I guess I overtrain but I am getting paid for it. I was never awesome at anything in my youth so I am not trying to regain anything or compare. I think overtraining equals injury and muscle soreness and to the extreme, stress fractures. But I am sucker for it and addicted to the endorphins.

jenn-hills are the best thing for training hands down, I think. Way to keep pushing the half's!!!

I agree with drock and jenry-I never supplement with food during training-just salt caps or nuuns. Training should be hard. That is what makes the race so exhilarating when you finally get there. I think the deprivation is good and then when you increase sweet potatoes or what have you (cherries in my case) then the body just relishes it--and says YES, RUN FAR!!! I always picture the space shuttle (have I said that before?) burning through the different fuels as it pushes into space. (My dad was rocket scientist-really).

ssn-I use nuun's-there is no calories-I use it for hot days when I sweat a lot and when I am super busy outside running dogs all day.

I've tried almost everything in food supplementing over the years-while I was paleo and not paleo, more fat, less fat. I love sweet potatoes and more fruit for a couple of days before, a sweet potato/egg/sausage hash (this packs well in Tupperware for travel to races) with coffee before a race. I train fasted a lot-with butter coffee or just coffee with egg (per sisson's article a few weeks ago). Now even coffee with a protein scoop in it with the egg-love that. Just try to not over think it-which I think works well for paleo in general. Focus on meat and veg and the rest falls into place.

Made meatballs with coconut aminos and a little pineapple and the pineapple juice in them-so good with primal ketchup. I made 200 small ones so we ate them this weekend and my husband and I have lunch for today and tomorrow. I have tons of ground beef so I am trying anything that the kids will eat.

SI joint is better-but have tailbone pain now-muted so I am functioning okay. I ran walk this weekend Sat and Sun 9 miles each day with my own dogs. It was awesome. The run walk takes pressure off my back--or at least I "think" it does. And what I "think" is half the battle for me.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    I guess I overtrain but I am getting paid for it.

Now even coffee with a protein scoop in it with the egg-love that.
    If you can do 9 miles everyday and be consistent, then i'd say you're not overtraining. Plus, it's like you're a pro athlete! You're essentially being paid to train! Awesome

Coffee with protein powder? Really? Does it taste as I imagine?

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Jenry-I will take my job with a whole new outlook now--professional athlete I have though, found a way to essentially get paid to run. I get $10 a dog-I have 4 dogs a day right now. $40 a day to run. Tax free, paid in cash, all my doggy clients live near me in a 10 mile circle. Plus, I have just clients that need traditional walk and feeds on the weekend when they go out of town. I am a stay at home mom and this allows me to get pedicures for my worn feed, buy cute running skirts and pay for the occasional half marathon trip with my friends without "discussion" from my husband. Then I am home to cook wholesome meals and start the taxi service everyday after school for travel baseball, rec baseball, wrestling, basketball or lacrosse. Yes, it is insane.

All this would be great if I had an awesomely fuel efficient car, but we are working on that.

coffee with protein powder is okay-it is kind of like a mocha-I use 2 cups of coffee, 1 scoop of jay robb chocolate pp, sometimes I add almond milk or egg to make it really foamy. It makes a ton and I drink it all morning. 1 big cup at home-then there is one for my travel mug to take with me.

now that I am off of my last Blue Bell ice cream bender from last month my joints feel so much better. I do not know why I do it!!! I really haven't wanted any ice cream though. I made some for the kids this weekend and didn't have but a bite to taste it. I did make Crimson Tide Whoopie Pies and they were so sweet my kids could barely eat them. Watching what we eat most of the time pays off a lot.

My anterior lower lateral knee started bothering me on my 8 mile hill run this weekend. At about mile 6, it started to flare up. Then with 1.25 miles left I had to stop and stretch things out, poke and prod around my knee, etc. I finished but limped the rest of the day. Just saw my A.R.T. doc and she said it's my IT band and I need to ROLL ROLL ROLL. I hate rolling. Ugh... it hurts soooo bad to roll. I'd much rather pay her $42 a visit to push the adhesions out with her thumbs... lol After the appointment, I walked like a normal person (rather than a stiff legged zombie) for about 100 yards.... then it started up again. But it's better. I'll roll it, ice it and ibuprofen it and see if it gets better. 4 miles on the schedule for tomorrow.

I plan to run 10 flat(ish) miles on Saturday, and then next weekend, repeat my 8 mile hill run as my last long run prior to the next half.

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    hey jenn

so i had a brutally annoying ITB injury a few years ago. and by brutal i mean it would NOT go away! it took months and months of not being able to run more than 1-2km before having to stop and stretch then basically turn around and run home.

i saw physio/massage was stretching, rolling etc.

BUT the thing that cured it was not stretching it more (as my physio said, you are plenty flexible!) but rather doing some targeted strength training!
    i am a HUGE strength running advocate and highly suggest any runner supplement 2x a week with strength exercises that help stabilize key muscles and joints (think squats, pistol squats, lunges, planks etc). this does not have to be heavy weights if you're not into that, but it's gotta be at least body weight!

check out this site in general but specifically the ITB recovery routine. after less than 2 weeks i was running 5km!
    ITB Rehab Routine – Video Demonstration

also, i hate to say it but if you aren't feeling better you are likely making it worst. i would ease up between now and the half (you've done most of the training already right?) with only a few SHORT runs and get on the strength ASAP!

Yeah, I need to ST again. I've noticed my left sciatic is unhappy again which tells me my glutes are getting weak again (piriformis does the work and pinches the sciatic). I had planned on getting into the gym again starting today, but had to see my chiro for the pain. And of course, if the government shuts down, I won't be able to hit the gym b/c I go to a gym on post and it'll be closed... *sigh* Guess it'll be body weight squats and lunges if that occurs.

Page 24 of 55 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast