Page 23 of 55 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 23

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    This is a fun thread. I just started running as part of an over-training concept. Want to see what I can do as a low-carber. I'll be following!
    As in "Over-training" on purpose? For what purpose, if I may ask? Curosity begs the question...

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I want to find the limits of VLC athleticism.
    Because I remember being somewhat unstoppable when high-carb in my early 20's, especially for simple things like lifting heavy stuff all day long and ridiculously long bike rides. And sprints, nobody ever beat me as a kid, I don't think, except older/taller kids. And I played hard, every day. But now at 31 it's easy for me to be lazy, and I want to find out if that's WHY low-carb has worked so well for me. It seems unthinkable that so many people who stumble in here have horrible VLC experiences, hair loss, cold, exhaustion, etc., while eating in a way that has given me back my youth. I need to control that variable, to find out if these people are just the unstoppable, exercise-addicted emotional trainwrecks they seem to be, or if I'm missing something. I'm going to work out every day, something intense, something that causes pain and adaptation, and try to break myself, I want to know what this upper limit is, because the more i exercise, the better I feel. I ran 1.5 miles today in 13 minutes and feel like a million freaking dollars. Took an icy shower right afterward, and am only slightly sore in my legs. Obviously, I'm not going to run again tomorrow, I'll probably do 700 push-ups or curl my 65 pound dumbells as many times as I possible can throughout the day. But so far, I've only succeeded in dropping two body fat percentages and feeling amazing. I'm missing something. Maybe I need to run three hours a day, every day, before something breaks. IDK.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    awesome job on the 1/2!
    Thanks. I hope the next one is better... but I see there are a lot of hills, so I'm leery. But hills are good for us, so I'll just suck it up and do it.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    Drock-way to race strong! Last fall I think I really didn't want to carb up for a race-primal carb up like Mark says. It seemed to defeat the purpose of becoming a fat burner. But I really feel like my body adapts now-it switches. I totally envision the space shuttle dropping off rockets and switching to different fuels as it flies (I'm old like that ) What is your carb sweet spot for racing? For training? Are you lifting heavy?
    Thanks. During training, I kept daily carbs somewhere between 80-100g. For long runs (10+ miles), I ate about 4 pitted dates on top of that, so that added about 15-20g of carbs. I'm wondering if I should cut out the dates during training. Or if I should eat them but make them part of my 80-100g. Not sure if I truly need them for a long run, or if it kind of defeats the purpose of being a fat burner if I stick a bunch of sugar in me for the second half of the run. I guess I can experiment a little bit. Yesterday, I ran 9 miles without eating anything on the road.

As far as race week, starting Thursday (for a Sunday race) I went up to about 200g of carbs per day. I held my protein constant (about 100g) and kept total Calories about the same. So I ate less fat during my carb loading. I ate even more dates during the race. I started about 1 hour in, and ate 3-4 every 30 minutes.

I was lifting weights once or twice per week and running 4-5 times per week. Now I've switched that up to an even 3 and 3. Not sure if I will do another race this year. There is one in November that I'm thinking of signing up for. I just want to really focus on losing weight again. I've lost about 50 pounds, and will lose another 50-60. I would like to lose that by next October and run a marathon then

I ran a half marathon without fueling during the race, and my breakfast was 1 boiled egg and 2 slices of bacon. I felt a surge of energy around mile 6. It was amazing. I tried to duplicate it for my race this weekend, but it didn't work. By mile 6, I was losing steam quickly. At mile 10, I caved and had a Gu b/c I didn't have anything else available (they were giving Gu away at the race). At mile 12, they presented bananas and oranges (for the marathoners, not the half marathoners, so it was a bit late for me). I also drank water earlier in my race this weekend than I did in the previous race. My pre-race carb fueling was different for this race b/c I ran out of sweet potates and didn't make it to the store, so I was fueling on simply green veggies like green beans and broccoli. Apparently, that's not carb load enough. I plan to make some changes for half marathon number 9 (Oct 20) so that it's hopefully more like half marathon number 7 (the good one I had at the beginning of September).

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone ever used Nuun for electrolyte replacement? Is there a better choice?

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Has anyone ever used Nuun for electrolyte replacement? Is there a better choice?
    Imo it's all the same. In training, and this is for anybody who wants to be a fat burner whilst running, get used to deprivation. That is the only way you're body will learn to not excrete the valuables. I ran a hilly 2 hours this morning having fasted for 18 hours, just coffee and water. Go on long runs with nothing but water. Run comfortably- breathing should be easy. Don't aim for x-min miles, ease in to your race pace. The watch is not a pacer, merely a recorder. My long runs are fasted, with around 150 kcals every 2 hours. They are upward of 4 at a minimum. Not bragging, but showing that that is possible as long as your willing to bite the bullet. I don't race often, but that is NOT the time to deprive yourself.
    Btw, i don't mean to come across as an ass. I'm really a nice guy

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Jenry, thanks for the advice. I have a 12-miler planned for Saturday. I will probably eat my normal moderate breakfast of eggs and ham and run without taking along anything but water.
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 168#, 30" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drock View Post
    Jenry, thanks for the advice. I have a 12-miler planned for Saturday. I will probably eat my normal moderate breakfast of eggs and ham and run without taking along anything but water.
    Thats a good start, thats how I broke into it. Once you feel confident with it, go the other way; start fasted (if it's a first thing in the morning run) and bring something to eat if you need to. Don't be afraid of walk breaks. Time on feet moving forward is the key to building endurance.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I ran a 9 miler fasted. I have run all of my runs (long, short, and a half marathon) without mid-race fuel. The last was the exception. For whatever reason, I wasn't doing well on that run - I think it might be b/c I went out too fast.

Page 23 of 55 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast