Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 22

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm already a half fanatic with three moons. Earned it in 2011.

This race is relatively flat. My 10 miler is not - and I'm rather nervous about it. I had a strong 4 mile two days ago and anticipate a strong 4 miles today as well. I anticipate that the half will be fine as I'm familiar with the route (have run this race before) and I expect the weather to be nice. I'm prepared, I've done the training. I just wonder about maintenance. All the maintenance plans say to run 8 miles for the long run between races, so I was just curious of your thoughts.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    jenn-I think it gets to a point where you can just run 13 miles no matter what-no matter what a written plan says you "should" do or not. I kind of just think, "either I can run it or I can't" once you get to the place you have run several regular half marathons. You just finished one, you have more coming up--don't get stuck in a rote schedule of following what I or a book or a "maintenance" plan says. That is the freedom of getting your body up to a certain mileage of running. Just run, go long 1 day a week. Run fast 1 day a week. The other days just run-don't run less than 5 miles if you can do the time (except the fast day). Lift some heavy stuff 1 or 2 times a week. We run longer than primally suggested but I think it is "in" some people to just go and keep going.

Mentally I try not to even let 13 miles register with me. I don't even think about my body or what I am doing for 6 miles-I don't look at clocks or try to maintain a speed or anything--just run free 6-9 I work and engage to keep on what I have been doing. 10-13. I count down the miles, evaluate some aches and pains, etc. When I run more than that I really have to keep off the clock or I will get frustrated at myself for speed and things.

Yay! I had an awesome 15K today--and my SI joint was killing me. I ran 1:21. I did not place but because I feel good (besides the SI joint ) and I ran hard the whole way I feel like it was a good run. I am still waiting on the results to see where I fell percentage wise.

Nutrition-I did not freak out-I just ate according to my plan yesterday which is about 1400 K, 50 % protein, 25 and 25. (I am 41 so this is enough K for me--I know what everything says but I will gain on more). This morning I had a coffee with jay robb and an egg mixed in. After I was not hungry but I had a chocolate zico coconut water-it was really good. I used a nuun in my water during the race. I feel good now-not extra hungry...yet! But it was just 9 miles.

There is a trail half I really want to run next week but I don't know if I can swing it or not because my kids are so busy. I will see.

Anyone run this weekend?

Drock is offline Member
    Great job on the 15k, relaygirl.

I ran a race last weekend. It was my second half, and the first since going primal. I followed the advice in this thread as well as Mark's nutritional advice for endurance training "train low; race high" (regarding carbs). Running on fat helped me build my endurance during training. The carbs gave me an unbelievable burst of energy.

During training, my long runs were at around 11:40-12:00 / mile. My last long run a week before the race, I ran 12.5 miles in 2:28.

This race was strange and didn't have pacers, so I had no idea how fast I was really going unitl I checked my time at 7 miles. At 7 miles, the timer was at 1:09, or a pace of 9:51/mile. I couldn't believe it. I was trying to figure out if I missed a turn somewhere. :P I was a little slower for the second half of the race and finished at 2:15:something (10:22/mile). If I had known I would have gotten that much of a boost, I wouldn't have started out so fast. In the half I ran last August, my time was 2:39.

Still feeling really good about myself. I know my time isn't great, but it was a great improvement for me.

Thanks everyone here for your advice in this thread.

Hi Relay! I ran my 10 miler last weekend at a rather quick clip for me. I did 10:45 mm, which is unheard of for anything over 5 miles. I felt comfy and good the whole time, even with the hills. I did stop at the top of the hills to catch my breath a bit, and at the half way point, but I turned around and did it again and ended up with a great time. I feel fully prepared for my half this weekend. My shorter runs are getting faster too - my last three normal weekly runs have been at a sub-10mm pace. I'm pleased with this - It tells me I'm finally progressing and getting better. I really need to work on that 'lift heavy things 1-2 times per week" thing you mention. I kind of let ST go to the wayside once I started training for the halves.

My 6 year old and I are going to run what they call a micromarathon this weekend. He'll get to choose between 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, and 1 mile. He'll get a medal for finishing. He's such a proud runner, even though he's like his mom and mentally craps out early and needs a lot of encouragement (this is why I run alone - gotta find my own motivation that way), but he gets so happy when he's got that medal in hand. He plans to take it to school the next day for show and tell. It's a fun mom and sun activity. Quick story about why I think he'll end up as a runner: Tuesday night he had flag football practice. After practice was over, the coach made a couple of boys run laps b/c they were jacking around and got in trouble (the coaches are their dads). My son asked my husband if he could run with them... he WANTED to run. A typical "my favorite sport is your sport's punishment" moment.

Drock, what a great race! I'm glad it went so well for you. I can only dream of 2:15! Nice job!

Drock-way to race strong! Last fall I think I really didn't want to carb up for a race-primal carb up like Mark says. It seemed to defeat the purpose of becoming a fat burner. But I really feel like my body adapts now-it switches. I totally envision the space shuttle dropping off rockets and switching to different fuels as it flies (I'm old like that ) What is your carb sweet spot for racing? For training? Are you lifting heavy?

Jenn-how was the half? I hope awesome. Your 10 miler sounds great. My daughter is 10 and she is my only "runner" it is slow but steady. My smallest son, 7, tried to convince me to write him a note to get out of the mile run at school. I laughed and laughed. I'm so glad your son loves to run. My friend's son just signed up for 8th grade cross country and he ran 6 miles in practice at 6:10 miles--his first recorded times in his life. My kids will never be like that. Her son is gazelle, mine are the elephants! They are not fat at all (thank you meat, fruit and veggie diets) but they are just hearty, solid kids with no flexibility.

I forgot to tell-I did not race this weekend. I wasn't signed up and the kids had a crazy Saturday so I let it go. I ran long with my dogs super early and I loved it.

I made an awesome brisket in my pressure cooker this weekend-with a can of organic tomatoes and peppers, ACV, 1 tbl coconut sugar, 2 tbl organic tom paste, 2 tbl garlic, 1 cup homemade broth, salt and pepper. I cooked it 45 min, took it out and shredded it. I then brought the liquids to a boil and reduced it-so good over the top of the brisket. Fed all 5 of us last night and I have lunch today for my husband and me.

I'm having back problems-still-it has been a month, I think. I try to ignore it but the hip joint is so big and it causes so much pain. Once I am up and moving I am okay but going from sitting here at the computer to walking will cause me excruciating pain for about 5 minutes. I can squat okay.

I definitely would like a standing desk but I'm not sure how to make that happen neatly and easily in my home office. Any ideas? Plus my kids use it.

My half... well, I posted all about it in my journal. Here's the link.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1319424

If that link doesn't take you to it, it starts on page 436.

It wasn't my best race, but it wasn't my worst by far. All in all, it was a really good experience. I learned a lot and I'm happy with it.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    my half... Well, i posted all about it in my journal. Here's the link.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1319424

if that link doesn't take you to it, it starts on page 436.

It wasn't my best race, but it wasn't my worst by far. All in all, it was a really good experience. I learned a lot and i'm happy with it.
    awesome job on the 1/2!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    This is a fun thread. I just started running as part of an over-training concept. Want to see what I can do as a low-carber. I'll be following!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast