Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 20

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Relaygirl! I attempted my 13 miler this weekend. Oy, not good. I gave it up at 10.25 miles. Looking at the clues, I realized I drank entirely too much water while out there and threw off my electrolyte balance. I ordered some saltsticks, but I got the capsules instead of the tablets by accident. Do you think this will be a problem?

Running a 7 miler this weekend - that'll feel SO short! Then the half next weekend. I'm excited but apprehensive too. I'm hoping I can run the entire distance and have a decent time. I imagine my chip time is going to suck, but the only time I'm concerned about is the time on my garmin.

My unhappy foot is now unhappy FEET and ankles. My mom and I suspect it's arthritis since rest, the chiropractic treatments, epsom baths and anti-inflammatory therapy isn't working to alleviate the pain. Feet and ankles are SO incredibly stiff in the monring when I wake up and pained when I walk until about 11 am. I have to take ibuprofen to run. If I don't, I can't run.

I'm considering whole30 thru September and maybe part of October to see if it helps alleviate the pain b/c the pain didn't start until after I ended my last Whole30.

Anyhow, enough threadjack. I hope your day is going well. When is your next event?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    jenn-do you make bone broth? Do you take magnesium? these are huge for my joint health. I would definitely whole 30. the older I get the more my mineral balance comes into play and my body reveals the issues. I think my hamstrings hurting was because of my mag levels--I had run out last week. I am going to add the Epsom salt baths and the supplement. eliminating dairy is big for me too-I digest it fine but my joints definitely ache more when I am eating dairy.

I drink 1 of my bottles during a run-it is 20 oz I think. Really, you need to be hydrated BEFORE the race. A lot of times I drink nothing for 13 miles. I only recently started carrying because I am trying to get the nuun's in for the potassium and salt while I run. I drink 1 gallon of water a day. I know there are articles about being water logged, etc. but I have found this is best for me. But I don't drink it while I run. I drink it spread out over the whole day.

I use the capsules too for salt stick. I don't think it matters-I pack them in a baggy in my Nathan water bottle holder with an extra nuun tablet.

jenn-did you take walk breaks early? if you take regular walk breaks it is much easier on your joints. your goal is to finish. You can do it!!!

cthy--you are so small and young I would say you need to be well nourished several days before your race-or start now with it. Have you ever run 13 miles? what kind of sport do you play? Is it hot and humid where you are? My son is a bit younger but I know a big deal for him is eating 3 square ultra healthy meals and that hardly EVER happens-I would really work on that. I don't always recommend it but if I were as young as you and knowing the diets of teens-even ones making a go at paleo-I would take a multi vitamin. And drink lots of water during the day. I would eat sweet potatoes every other day for the week before your race. I would keep your meals simple-like a small steak, green veg, sweet potato. Eggs, spinach, fruit, for a good breakfast. STRETCH!!!

cthy is offline Junior Member
    Relaygirl - thanks for the reply!

This is my first half actually! I take part in sprint canoeing, and besides 3 water trainings a week, I lift heavy 2-3 times and run (short ones) 1-2 times. I'm very strict with my own diet most of the time, so adhering to healthy foods isn't a problem!

I live in an equatorial country so it's very hot and humid :/

I usually IF most days, around 16/8 split, so I just have a big lunch and dinner; I don't usually have breakfast cos I'm jut not hungry! I usually have a big piece of fatty meat, a huge pile of veg and if I need it, some carbs in the form of potatoes, white rice, bananas etc. macro split is about 50f/25p/15c, may up the carbs a little if I'm lifting/sprinting.

I'll take a tablespoon of coconut oil before my long runs, probably going for a 18k this weekend. Quite apprehensive about the race actually! My goal is 2h (which I'm sure is quite slow for your standards!)

Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    jenn-do you make bone broth? Do you take magnesium? these are huge for my joint health. I would definitely whole 30. the older I get the more my mineral balance comes into play and my body reveals the issues. I think my hamstrings hurting was because of my mag levels--I had run out last week. I am going to add the Epsom salt baths and the supplement. eliminating dairy is big for me too-I digest it fine but my joints definitely ache more when I am eating dairy.

I drink 1 of my bottles during a run-it is 20 oz I think. Really, you need to be hydrated BEFORE the race. A lot of times I drink nothing for 13 miles. I only recently started carrying because I am trying to get the nuun's in for the potassium and salt while I run. I drink 1 gallon of water a day. I know there are articles about being water logged, etc. but I have found this is best for me. But I don't drink it while I run. I drink it spread out over the whole day.

I use the capsules too for salt stick. I don't think it matters-I pack them in a baggy in my Nathan water bottle holder with an extra nuun tablet.

jenn-did you take walk breaks early? if you take regular walk breaks it is much easier on your joints. your goal is to finish. You can do it!!!
    I'm not a big bone broth fan... I've made some but have not taken a liking to it. I sometimes take magnesium. I have magnesium oxide at home (I think that's what it is). Is that sufficient? I usually will take 500 mg after I run long.

I drink 55 or so oz of fluid each day. I was really thirsty during my last run b/c it was warmer out than I'm used to. We've had a really cool summer so bumping into the 80's made for a thirsty girl.

I picked up some MSM (1000 mg) and some Tumeric (47.5 mg of curcumin) capsules last night. Someone said the tumeric is a non-pain relieving NSAID and the MSM is supposed to be good for joint flexibility. I also take 3 cod liver capsules each day, which is supposed to help. Oh, and the Tart Cherry at bedtime (2000 mg). The Tart Cherry really helps with the AM stiffness.

Whole30 is coming very soon. I do really poorly if I start at odd times, so I'm starting 1 sep. Yes, that's the day of my half, but considering I have two (maybe 3) following it, and it may not benefit the first half, it'll benefit the second, and the 3rd if I decide to do one in October, with my last one being in December.

I did the first 6 halves using the Galloway interval system. I want to run one from start to finish, without walk breaks (only stopping to walk during water stops). Unfortunately, presently I take a few stop and stand breaks. I'll stop, drink a bit of water, then get going again. I don't do well drinking while running. Sometimes these water breaks are a bit extended, and I'm trying to stop doing that. They've become more frequent recently (last couple of weeks). This defeats the purpose of no walk breaks - at least when I walk, I'm still making forward progress, but mentally they feel different. Anyhow, I want to run one start to finish without walk breaks. That is my goal for the September 1 race, and hopefully the 22 September race. I'm not as concerned about the December race b/c I'll be doing it with a friend who is doing her first and I'll follow her lead on that one.

Anyhow, thanks for all the advice and insight. I appreciate it.

jenn-Mag citrate is better absorbed, I think than the oxide--anything ending in ate is best absorbed in capsule form. I don't think 55 oz of water is enough. The msm is what is naturally in bone broth. You can also put gelatin in your foods for msm, I think and it is better used by the body as well.

If you don't want walk breaks-remember you can always slow down!

I have a 20k on Saturday and a Labor Day 10K on Monday, of course I am hoping I feel better this weekend and I don't have any cramping.

Yesterday I ran 6 dogs and I did 18 miles all split up during the day. I was very tired. Plus, I had PR'd my back squat and I did sumo deadlifts for the 1st time. My body is screaming for a massage--but I have 4 dogs to run today. Should be easier and I take walk breaks with them.

Hey y'all-I've not stuck to my plan this week and I even went artificial in the ice cream binge!!! ARGGHHH!!! Blue Bell is on sale EVERYWHERE! Stuff is golden. I've probably had 300 carbs A DAY! I will probably win my 20K because I will be so hopped up on carbs I am very puffy--my sports bras are tight. I am going to get serious again--I was doing so well. Not getting on scale.

*sigh* I am getting back to my eating plan-the protein shakes and good meat and veg. I have 2 friends that started a whole 30 and they are rocking it. I think I am going to eat my shakes for 1 more week to get back into my macros I want and then go whole 30 with the same macros-maybe more fat. BUT I'm still going heavy on protein. I don't know why it works better for me. It just does.

All that said, I am running really well. I have the 20K on Sat, I thought it was sun, but it is sat. Then I have a 10k on MOnday. I would run even better if I was not puffy.

I did sumo deadlifts this week on Tuesday and I am just now able to sit down on the toilet without having to brace the wall Great, eh? Who knew just a little difference in stance could reveal such a weakness in my inner thighs? I am floored, really. I thought I could crack walnuts with my thighs. I was so wrong.

All that AND I had 7 dogs on Mon, Tues, and Wed-18 miles a day. I walked intermittently and it was spread out over 6 hours in 90 degree heat but that with the sumo deadlifts has put me over the edge, not to mention the 3 kids and 3 dogs I care for when I'm not doing that. I went to bed at 9 every night. I saw my husband like 15 minutes total this week because of baseball and lacrosse practices--no disagreements at all--too busy! Maybe this is better than marriage counseling?

Because it was insane here I made 3 lbs of ground beef with a lot of cabbage, onions and mushrooms with curry, garlic, sea salt and pepper. I made it Sunday and portioned it out so at least for my husband and I we could grab something (between ice cream bowls). I also made 3 meat loafs from grass fed girls recipe with broccoli slaw in it. I used 3 lbs of ground meat and then shaped the 3 loaves. We ate 1 last night and then I sliced up the rest to eat this weekend because it should be crazy still with races and kids practices and the Alabama football game I'm going to Whole Food for wings this weekend-they have a deal during football season where you shove as many in a container as you can for $7.99.

Today is just 1 client with 2 dogs at the same time. yay!

Report races this weekend--if anyone is reading

Sunday's the big day for me! I'm rather excited, sort of apprehensive (it's supposed to be warmer than I have trained in). I'm really hoping I do well. Thank you for the 'training' and encouragement along the way. I appreciate it.

I'm doing a whole30 starting Sunday (what was I thinking? Whole30 on race day???)

I know that 'brace the wall' need all too well. I've never done sumo squats though. how much lower in weight did you have to go to be able to do them?

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Best wishes in your races this weekend, relay girl and Jenn!
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 168#, 30" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist

Thanks, Drock!

Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast