Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 2

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    how were you doing it on fat if you drank oj? have you every heard of Charles Washington? he is a marathoner who eat a zero carb diet, basically nothing but fatty steaks. he does his marathons on pemmican.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    @BennettC I did not drink OJ I made a 3 tbl gel with about 1 tbl of OJ in it. Being fat adapted does not mean I do not eat carbs. Paleobird has a good thread on what it means to be truly fat adapted. I was low carb paleo for years--I was not truly fat adapted. I eat more carbs now being fat adapted then I was when I was what I consider regular paleo.

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    I am interested to read how you did. I am running a half marathon in Dec, and I do Crossfit also. I just can't give up running, although after this race is over I won't be running anything over 4 miles or so.

catdance62 are you already trained up to 13 miles?

My mileage is way down right now but I run about 3 half marathons a month--so I am just maintaining my endurance level now. I am doing a whole in Dec so now I am going to start just adding to my longest day. I am kind of just experimenting through everything to see how far I can go and how good I feel. I have 3 relays coming up--Oct, Nov and Jan--which is 3 legs over 24 hours with a total of 20 or so miles. In one I might have to take over 2 legs adding 10 miles. Depending on how my trail races go-I will do a trail whole and then maybe a 50K in the spring. I can't go much further than that.

I am not as fast as I used to be, I just can't get back there--right now, feeling good I am running a 1:45-1:50 half and about a 2:00-2:10 trail half depending on course. So that is okay for a 40 year old woman eating a ton of fat who gained 10 lbs of muscle doing crossfit. I went from 135-145 and I am 5'7"

I xfit 2-3 days a week and run 3 days a week. We are a busy family so I have to be flexible. I run about 30 miles a week.

Congrulation finally your on the reac

amharp is offline Junior Member
    relaygirl,

I don't mean to sound like a moron, but I new to idea of fat adaptation. How do you know that you are now fat adapted? What feels different? Thanks for any insights you can provide.

there are several posts about it-search fat adapted beast. I am n=1 so this is where I am now:

I used to eat primal but would eat mostly protein-with good fats and some carbs. I would eat several times a day, I was still hungry. Now, I eat mostly fat-grass fed butter, mct oil, coconut oil, coconut, avocado, then protein and carbs. About 150 grams of fat a day.

For racing I would have to carb up primally-more fruit, more starches. Now I just keep things regular-a serving of fruit a day, a couple of sweet potatoes a week. I eat a lot of veggies. But I do not eat more because I am running long. I essentially can race high even in a fasted state. cross fit too. I drink bullet proof coffee 2 x a day in the morning then start eating at 1:00. I am now doing this even on race days.

Last month I experimented with race nutrition-but I am finding at 13+miles I do not even need anything during the race. This weekend I am going to bring a little baggie of almonds and dried unsweetened cranberries and I think I probably wont even eat it. I do need salt-so I only need salt tablets and a nuun.

Aside from racing-before I used to have to really watch my fruit consumption-I hardly ate any. I would gain weight. Now, with emphasis on the fats, it is protein that will make me gain. I do not eat tons of fruit, but there is no real spike in my blood sugar when I eat it. My LP IR score was a 4 last month.

I am really never hungry but I used to be hungry all the time-even with eggs and bacon for breakfast. And this is why I had to find a way to race, eat and live without cravings--just eating primally, it never cured my cravings and food addiction. Essentially doubling my fat and lowering the other values I have done this. I am sure it is a leptin issue.

I feel like I am running on rocket fuel about 5 miles in. I can't wait to get up 20+ miles and see how it goes.

abqandrea is offline Junior Member
    Great thread and thank you for your running training updates.... keto trail running is absolutely doable. 10Ks, that's another question.

@abqandrea I don't like 10K's-I am not efficient in that short of a race. I looked back at my times and I had a 42 minute 10K a few years ago. I had no idea-I had forgotten. That is a pretty okay time for an oldish woman.

So I ran a few earlier this year just kind of sloppy-49-50 minutes (before the fat increase). When I saw that I had run one at 42 minutes I worked hard to try to run another one at that pace. I ran one just under 44 min in May and I felt like my body had been beaten and kicked. I thought-why do this to myself; this is not fun.

That was the beginning for me to change my attitude about racing and running and being fit. I want to be able to be active for the next 50 years so I am not going to brutalize my body again. Well, kind of --that is when I added a day of cross fit and the 10 lbs.

I had a moment and a few 3rd places finishes. It is enough. I am not even a lifelong runner-I was obese for many years and I just started running in 2009. I want to enjoy myself.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    there are several posts about it-search fat adapted beast. I am n=1 so this is where I am now:

I used to eat primal but would eat mostly protein-with good fats and some carbs. I would eat several times a day, I was still hungry. Now, I eat mostly fat-grass fed butter, mct oil, coconut oil, coconut, avocado, then protein and carbs. About 150 grams of fat a day.

For racing I would have to carb up primally-more fruit, more starches. Now I just keep things regular-a serving of fruit a day, a couple of sweet potatoes a week. I eat a lot of veggies. But I do not eat more because I am running long. I essentially can race high even in a fasted state. cross fit too. I drink bullet proof coffee 2 x a day in the morning then start eating at 1:00. I am now doing this even on race days.

Last month I experimented with race nutrition-but I am finding at 13+miles I do not even need anything during the race. This weekend I am going to bring a little baggie of almonds and dried unsweetened cranberries and I think I probably wont even eat it. I do need salt-so I only need salt tablets and a nuun.

Aside from racing-before I used to have to really watch my fruit consumption-I hardly ate any. I would gain weight. Now, with emphasis on the fats, it is protein that will make me gain. I do not eat tons of fruit, but there is no real spike in my blood sugar when I eat it. My LP IR score was a 4 last month.

I am really never hungry but I used to be hungry all the time-even with eggs and bacon for breakfast. And this is why I had to find a way to race, eat and live without cravings--just eating primally, it never cured my cravings and food addiction. Essentially doubling my fat and lowering the other values I have done this. I am sure it is a leptin issue.

I feel like I am running on rocket fuel about 5 miles in. I can't wait to get up 20+ miles and see how it goes.
    I look forward to your report. Your post sounds familiar to me. I've never raced, but I have been getting more and more hungry. I've been eating a little more fruit and it doesn't seem to be hurting me. But maybe I need to once more try the more fat thing because I'm getting really hungry the more I run. I, too, feel a surge like rocket fuel a few miles in. I figure that's when my body has finally relented to burn its own fat. Sadly, my body seems to want to hold onto all its fat no matter what I do. Even burning a little bit off doesn't seem to phase my body. It knows how to make me put it all right back on.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast