Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 18

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    jenn-don't jeopardize your half by running the 9 miler-make a choice. What shoes are you running in? Have you gotten new ones? I buy 1 new pair a month and rotate 1 pair out with 3 pairs being in my rotation all the time + trail shoes. It really made a difference in my hips.

I am wearing mizuno waverider 16's (which I LOVE) and in the store they are $125 but I get them on Amazon or ebay for $59. I also have the mizuno precision 10's. They are lighter for flat road races.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I run in vibrams. My half is in 4 weeks. I have 4 long runs left prior to the half.

The furthest I have run is 8 miles for this half. The half is September 1. I want to run 13 prior to the half b/c my legs seem to crap out in the last mile of all my long runs recently and I don't want the last mile of my half to be sucky. What do you advise I do to get to 13 prior?

Oh and I should mention that today my left foot is pain free and my right (the one that started this whole mess) is better. I haven't felt the need to take anything for it for 2 days. I can walk limp free too.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn-oh good news about feeling better! Have you tried to walk a mile? I would definitely take the saltstick caps for cramping-that is exactly what they are good for. Mile 5 and mile 8. I forgot, do you use nuun's? I really like these and I have no cramps lately and I think it because of the salt pill/nuun regimen. I would put a nuun in your water every run--the minerals are awesome. Is your race the 7th? I would run this:

Aug 10-9.5
    Aug 17-11.5
    Aug 24-13
    Aug 31-7
    Sept 7-13.1, race

Then during the week I would do 3-5 miles, 3x a week. If you can't do 3x, 2x. When you look at the weekend long-don't think running the whole way-just walk break regularly and get through the distance. And when you walk, walk with intent, keep moving. That helps the tendinitis to not come back a lot.

I know it is very un primal to drink a ton of water but I do. I drink a gallon a day. I just increased it back when I upped my protein. I ran the 10 mile trail race rocket fuel style. I felt amazing. It wasn't a spectacular finish at 1:36 but it was a very hilly technical trail and I finished 7th out of 25 in my age group. Again, I felt great and last year I bonked. Some guy even remembered me vomiting.

So this morning my mom's group had a run down by the river where you choose your distance. I wasn't planning on much but I feel good. I ran the half--there was another woman there who had never run a half and she signed up for it and really wanted to finish so I stuck with her to keep her going. I had my new dog Dixie and she did awesome. I just was really surprised that I had the stamina and legs to do 13 after pushing it yesterday. NO issues at all. I am very happy. Dixie is taking a nap.

I ran the 9 miles - the whole distance. I stopped at 4.5 miles and drank some water, then turned around and went back the way I came. I maintained an 11:somethinglessthan30 pace. I felt good. Foot felt good. No pain. But then I walked and walked and walked and walked Saturday night, so by the end of Sunday night, my big toe area felt very swollen and tight. I am supposed to run a short one today, but I think I'll rest it again today. I see the chiropractor tomorrow and she'll work out the tightness for me. I'll head out for an easy run on Wednesday and 10 miles on Friday.

My race is on the 1st, followed by a race on the 22nd.

I do not use nuun or gatorade or anything like that. I simply used water. I felt good. I even ran fasted b/c I forgot to eat (who forgets to eat??) Took a 250 mg magnesium that night. No cramping. Tightness about half way through, but it worked itself out and the whole run was a good one.

Would it be bad to follow this long run schedule:

Aug 9 - 11.5
    Aug 16 - 13
    Aug 23 - 7
    Sept 1 - 13.1, race

Or should I do this:

Aug 9 - 10
    Aug 16 - 11.5
    Aug 23 - 13
    Sept 1 - 13.1, race

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

I like doing the 13, 2 weeks before the official half marathon. If you can do 9, you will be fine! I am so happy for you that you got through the injury! I am not a big taper person but doing the 7 the weekend before the race is good.

Don't worry about the 22nd-when I started running halfs so regularly it started with 1 and then I just ran them every 2 -4 weeks no matter what. Once you are there, you are there-don't stop! I would try the nuuns-they are simple and they replace what you need. They do not taste that good-it is kind of like a La Croix.

So, should I aim for 10 this week, 13 the following week, drop to 7 the week before the race? Or do you think it would be safe to skip 10, go straight to 11, then 13, then 7, then race?

I'd just do the 11. If you can do 9, 2 more miles is fine. Remember-slow down if you need to--that is really key in getting more miles in. I think it helps with breath control and maintaining a strong run form instead of collapsing a bit from fatigue.

I agree. My long run pace is 11:30ish. My shorter pace (like 5 miles) is closer to 10:30 - but I have done a sub-10:00 5 miler recently.

Not feeling well today so it's looking like this week wil be another "rest the foot" week. I'll head out for 11 on Friday and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    whoa! lots of running talk since i've been MIA!

was on a work/vacay trip, had lots of fun, only did one run (14k in blazing sun) and swam twice (1.5k each). my right shoulder is still bothering me...maybe it's all the inflammatory foods I ate this week!
    i just ate a whole bag of licorice...oh man gotta stop! will stop.

so back on my non-training training runs. going for a hilly 12k tonight. then need to get back on the strength exercises.

i didn't read all the previous emails but the only thing that helped me with my ITB injury from awhile back was strengthening exercises. my physio said i was flexible enough in the hips etc and really needed to focus on pistol squats etc. after 2 weeks i was cured!
    so that's my recommendation always to injuries...rest, continue some movement and increase strengthening exercises for those key and supporting muscles.

good luck on your race jenn26.2!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey y'all-I'm a little peeved-I signed up for a Dogs Days 5k thinking I could run with my dog and there are no dogs allowed! So upset-I could of done a 10miler in the morning with both dogs and now I am running a 5k with NO dogs. I still get out with the dogs but it is hard once I get home with all the kids etc.

My next half is the 17th at night! I can't wait but it will be so very hot and humid.

I still feel good on the protein. I had one binge attack night of ice cream. I bought it too-rare for me to eat ice cream I don't make. But it was raspberry cheesecake with chocolate covered graham crackers. It was divine. I ate a ton of it and got sick. That will show me.

Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast