Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 17

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    I keep losing weight with protein shakes--still, I know not primal but I am getting there......
    This really did help my wife when she first transitioned to primal. It may not be 100% paleo, but there are worse things!

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks neckhammer for the encouragement! I know there are worse things for me than meal replacing with a protein powder shake. I really like it for delivery of some veggies too with spinach and frozen cauliflower.

jenn--If I had 5 weeks til race and tendinitis I would take 2 weeks and bike or swim or elliptical during that time to get off the foot. Your foot will not get better. I had it too before my Utah race in my left foot on the inside. I walked almost 2 weeks-I still had to take the dogs out for my business so I had to keep moving but I did not really run. My trainer backed off anything that would irritate it. Everytime I sat down I would elevate it with ice.

canuck--I appreciate pose but I tried it for 2 years and it was so unnatural for me. I really had to go against what EVERYONE was saying in the running world and kind of meditate on my own run about each body part and where it felt best in my run position. I heel strike--I am not a slamming heel striker. I have shorter efficient stride, very quiet. As long as my back is tall and my body is sitting over my hips, I am good. It is the most comfortable I can run. Trying to change my strike and minimalize my shoes led to a double stress fracture for me--I did it slow and steady like I read. I just don't think it is for everyone. I do try to focus on the heel rise and not the foot strike. I know that sounds weird but by ordering it in my head that way I think I land softer.

I was never a gazelle like runner as a kid--you know the look of complete abandon of a wiley, stringy kid flying across a field or whatever. I watch my kids and it is the same things-we are more moose than gazelle I just don't like someone telling me what is "natural" for me to run like when what they are telling me to do makes me not want to run. That doesn't seem natural to me. I think that is what draws me to trail running-nothing is conventional, every foot strike is different and it builds foot and ankle strength because of that.

Okay, so that said, I know pose can help some people but I don't think it is a better way for everyone. Just like minimalist can be freeing for some people, some of us like a hearty shoe.

I got a spot in my 10 miler this Sat! Yay! The last number

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice folks. I am taking this week off for sure. This is my first half for this year so I'm weary about missing too many long runs. I'm losing 8 miles this week by not running (my long run this weekend is supposed to be 9 miles). However, I did email the director to see what the deferral options are.

I am not doing ANYTHING this week - except moving around as necessary for daily living. No gym. Complete rest.

I started Whole30 today too. I hope that eliminating the inflammatory foods from the system will make a difference - coupled with ice, ibuprofen and physical therapy.

Now, unrelated question... I have not been running long distances for long - like I said, this is my first half marathon for this year. Longest distance before beginning training was only 3 miles. I have noticed recently, when I get to the last mile of my long run, my quads start to quit - they get sore, tired and threaten to cramp. Is this a fueling issue or is this just an untrained muscle issue that'll go away as I continue to increase my distance? The answer will determine how I adjust my training from here to the half marathon. THANKS!!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Thanks for the advice folks. I am taking this week off for sure. This is my first half for this year so I'm weary about missing too many long runs. I'm losing 8 miles this week by not running (my long run this weekend is supposed to be 9 miles). However, I did email the director to see what the deferral options are.

I am not doing ANYTHING this week - except moving around as necessary for daily living. No gym. Complete rest.

I started Whole30 today too. I hope that eliminating the inflammatory foods from the system will make a difference - coupled with ice, ibuprofen and physical therapy.

Now, unrelated question... I have not been running long distances for long - like I said, this is my first half marathon for this year. Longest distance before beginning training was only 3 miles. I have noticed recently, when I get to the last mile of my long run, my quads start to quit - they get sore, tired and threaten to cramp. Is this a fueling issue or is this just an untrained muscle issue that'll go away as I continue to increase my distance? The answer will determine how I adjust my training from here to the half marathon. THANKS!!
    Hey Jen... I'm not sure if the soreness is a fuel issue or a "pushing the endurance envelope" issue.... I am doing long distance runs on the weekend, training for a March marathon and I started adding a mile a week and now am at 10 miles this past weekend. I noticed the my quads would get sore at the end of the long run even when I was at 5-6 miles distance. The soreness lasts a day or 2 and goes away. It feels to me to be more endurance related than anything..... I took a couple of weeks off for a variety of reasons in early July and when I started back, I had to start at almost 2/3 the distance I had been running and my quads were sore even though I had been at that distance previously but lost some conditioning because of the lay off.... For what it's worth, I am using Jeff Galloway's training program of periodic walk breaks on long runs..... seems to help. I'm an old fart, so I will take all the help I can get! Good luck on your training for your 1/2!

I followed Galloway's program previously. My goal for this go-round is to run the entire half marathon distance. Galloway was great for me previously b/c I was injured and ended up taking a lot of time off and lost some precious training time. Kind of like now... except I'm hoping a week will be enough this time, in which case I'll only lose 8 miles.

My fear is that I'll reach the start of mile 13 and my quads will start acting wonky. I want to finish strong. So my thinking is that I need to run a 13 mile training run prior to the half marathon so my legs know what to expect come race day. That'll mean I have to adjust my training plan to accommodate. It currently has a max distance of 12 miles prior to the half marathon.

I checked into the race directors policy on deferral just in case I have to take another week off. I hope I don't have to defer.

jenn-do not defer-you will be fine. do not defeat yourself mentally before you even get there. it is tendinitis and it heals-staying completely off of it is ideal. Do you have access to a gym with a hand cycle--I even do this when injured to keep my cardio system going.

About the quads--read Chi Running in your down week I really have to visualize my body working correctly when I get so fatigued. The quads hurt but they still work. If you have to slow down, slow down but keep your head up and keep moving. Are you fueling at all during the half? I do not fuel but I HIGHLY recommend a salt tablet at mile 5 and at mile 8.

Amazon.com: Saltstick Electrolyte Capsules (100/bottle): Sports & Outdoors

This makes all the difference for me.

I agree with ssn679doc-just keep training and your endurance will build. And yes, do 13 before the race. BUT with your injury you might not be able to get it in--just take it a week at a time.

No loss-it is slow but I feel and look a lot better. My belly looks deflated--which is good!

Sorry for hijacking your thread. It's the only place I knew to go for advice.

This week I wasn't planning to do ANY exercise. I do have access to a hand bike, though. Hadn't thought about a hand bike.

I'll look into the saltsticks. Thanks!

Glad you're seeing progress.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    So my thinking is that I need to run a 13 mile training run prior to the half marathon so my legs know what to expect come race day. That'll mean I have to adjust my training plan to accommodate. It currently has a max distance of 12 miles prior to the half marathon.
    Exactly what Galloway would recommend...... run the distance of the race BEFORE the race so mentally you know you can do it.... because you already have.....

joniwtpb there are lots of articles by mark if you search-here is the main one, I think:

What Does it Mean to Be Fat-Adapted? | Mark's Daily Apple

I am kind of my own middle aged experiment in this-that is why I started the thread. I tried to run with a mostly fat diet but after a year I did end up with more belly fat. I did make gains in the gym though. I think fat adapted means you are versatile burner-I feel the carb burn the first few miles and then I can feel the rocket fuel of fat burning start. Now, I am trying to find the happy medium of macros to lose the belly fat and run.

jenn-you don't hijack the thread. we learn from every experience posted. I find the REAL experiences by REAL runners the most useful.

my friend cuts t-shirts (mostly for her zumba clientele) like this :

cutting t-shirts styles - Bing Images

I had been afraid to try one because they are snug--well she made me 3 and they look good! I am so happy to be getting back where I was.

I actually think the higher fat diet made me feel better in my head-clearer thinking, etc. Now, I am back to being a mess mentally, but I am thinner...just kidding! But there is a mental acuity that I think comes with the higher fat-like dave on the bulletproof website talks about. Attia talks about this too.

meloroaster-my fingertips get cold but I will have waves of just freezing where I have to get in a hot shower. And I am in Georgia in the summer. I think I am steadily in ketosis now before I would fluctuate my carbs up and down more still with the high fat but now I am super regulating them.

This is just a time of vigilance food wise for me. I am not going to buy any new clothes this fall.

I am super excited about my 10 miler on Sat!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a 9 miler on Saturday and quite honestly, thanks to my FEET (was foot, now it's FEET), I'm not really looking forward to it. I hope that changes before Saturday.

Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast