Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 14

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Advice question for you. Presently, I lift 4x per week and run 3.5 miles 1x per week (I run 1 mile daily in two half mile stretches - to and from the gym). I start half marathon training today for a race scheduled on September 1. My goal is to finish faster than 2:50, and to not take any walk breaks.

Currently, I do 5/3/1's lifting VERY heavy (well, VERY heavy for me) at 75# OHP, 100# bench, 100# squat, and 160# DL. I need to either consolidate these days or lift each muscle group every other week (for instance, OHP on week 1 and week 3) b/c I'll be reduced to only getting to the gym 2x per week.

My question: How do you suggest I consolidate/schedule my lifting around my running, and do you recommend I continue to progress in heaviness or should I maintain at my current level?

Thanks for the help!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    my two cents...
    identify what your priority is. if it's to focus on the half marathon until Sept 1, tone down the lifting, definitely don't increase the weight! focus on getting in at least 3 runs per week minimum with at least one longer run slowly building to about 15km. the other 2-3 runs should be a mix of tempo, hills, easy 5km and sprints.
    when i ran my last half i followed a crossfit endurance type schedule which worked really well for me. i did weights (including body weight like pushups, pullups) 2-3x week, ran 3x week.

also, you may want to focus on weight bearing exercises that support your running like squats, lunges, planks/sideplanks, pushups, pullups. these all compliment running muscles and add good stability and balance elements.

i usually only consolidated 1 workout/week.

most importantly...have fun with it!!! if possible, get in a 10km race about midway through (assuming you're new to longer distances).

hey relaygirl!
    sounds like you need a break! well we all try our best and sometimes our bodies let us know we don't quite have it right!!
    hope the rash has toned down.

i on the other hand have developed a rotator cuff problem!! HAZAH! i think a combo of doing overhead presses for the first time in a month, surfing and fishing all within 4 days of eachother. not to mention that "approaching 40 factor". ;o

but i cycled yesterday and all was ok. i leave for my Ride to Conquer Cancer tomorrow!!!

on another "falling apart" note i have been indulging in the wine a little too much lately. will have to reel it in when i get back! but it's just sooooo tasty after a long day!

take care relaygirl!!!

Quote Originally Posted by meloroaster View Post
    my two cents...
    identify what your priority is. if it's to focus on the half marathon until Sept 1, tone down the lifting, definitely don't increase the weight! focus on getting in at least 3 runs per week minimum with at least one longer run slowly building to about 15km. the other 2-3 runs should be a mix of tempo, hills, easy 5km and sprints.
    when i ran my last half i followed a crossfit endurance type schedule which worked really well for me. i did weights (including body weight like pushups, pullups) 2-3x week, ran 3x week.

also, you may want to focus on weight bearing exercises that support your running like squats, lunges, planks/sideplanks, pushups, pullups. these all compliment running muscles and add good stability and balance elements.

i usually only consolidated 1 workout/week.

most importantly...have fun with it!!! if possible, get in a 10km race about midway through (assuming you're new to longer distances).

Thank you. The race on 9/1 will be my 7th half marathon. I am doing this for fun - not to win or anything like that.

I was thinking lower body was definitely a priority - glutes mainly to keep my piriformis/sciatic in check. You gave some good suggestions. Thank you.

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hey y'all--My Utah race is over...that is about as much as I can say good about the running But the trip was fun. I got really sick before I left with the rash and things. I have had NO asthma problems in 2 years and I had an allergic reaction to the prednisone they gave me. I blew up like a balloon and my team running skirt barely fit-my sports bra was so tight it affected my breathing too!!! So having breathing problems, high elevation (10000 feet), the extra fluids in my joints, no rest because of travel= disaster running. I finished though--1 leg was 8 miles straight up a mountain.

I'm not promoting powders but I have taken on a Protein Power regimen for ease on the stomach--the Eades recommend eating a protein shake for meals until you heal your stomach. It is easy on your stomach and intestines. I am thinking I am having some fat digestion issues. I have not had diarrhea and gas but I have just been storing fat for a while now. I am thinking it has to do with my not having a gall bladder. I am feeling much better. I started taking Lypo Gold supplement-kind of a super papaya thing. I am eating a protein shake several times during the day. I cut the BP coffee-I loved these for the energy boost but I think the butter was too much for my system even though I just used a little.

I eat 1 or 2 good meat and veg meals later in the afternoon. I feel good. I've lost a lot of fluid from the past 3 weeks. I guess my diet is more balanced macros now. When it was bad before the trip I could not even curl my fingers because my joints were so swollen.

10K in the rain tomorrow! I am going to run nice and easy and I am shooting for 55 min. I have a half in August. No other races--I am trying to hold myself back. I am going to do the Tennessee relay in Oct and try for a little redemption from the Utah run disaster. But I am taking July as a low mileage month--just 30 miles a week. I got the new mizuno waverider 16 and I love them!

From above-if you have a half coming up and you want to run well-focus on that. I would just lift 2 days a week.

Hi Relay! Glad your run went "well". Hopefully your next is better.

I have a question about fuel for your long runs. I understand you use paleo options like sweet potatoes, bananas, etc... where do you carry them? I have a Nathan belt that I wear, but the pouch on it only has room for a few Gu packs, no room for a banana, etc. Heck, my cell phone barely fits in it!

My longest run so far has only been 4 miles (5 this Saturday) so I know I'll be ok for that distance and not need any fuel, but I'm curious about longer runs and what I should take/how I should carry it. What kind of pack do you have?

I run in my vibrams and love it! I haven't felt so good running! I used to think that my running injuries were related to weight, over training, and diet, and I'm sure they all played a part, but I think the shoes I was wearing were a bigger factor. Glad you like your new shoes!

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    You shouldn't be eating anything unless you are running over a half marathon. Your liver and muscles have ample glycogen stores. Eating just slows you down and makes you feel queasy. Sports drink and gel manufacturers like to subtly convince you that you'll get a boost in performance but it's mostly BS.

@relaygirl sometimes a race is just to be 'completed'. you stuck with it in times of adversity and that deserves some major props! good for you. i also use protein powder in my shakes in the morning. fastest and easiest way for me to get protein without cooking and keeps me satiated. which one do you use? right now i'm using Kaizen Naturals.

@jenn26 i agree with MaceyUK...personally, i only bring some fuel if i'm running over 15km. and in that case it's usually only coconut water so rather light. if i'm doing a longer run, like 18-22km or more i usually take one Vega gel. it's paleo, only sweetened with dates and actually has coconut oil in there. honey/lime/salt water is also a good option. just remember not to get too into all the running "foods". a lot of people (including myself when i was marathon training) think you can and should eat anything you want, including all those "products" when really you shouldn't be changing your diet too much. for half marathon training i eat carbs like sweet potato post-run/workout mainly a few more times during the week after especially long or grueling runs. i eat berries in the morning, maybe an apple mid-day with nuts but i didn't need more than that.

as for me, my 240km ride to conquer cancer went awesome. no pains or soreness. although my right shoulder has been buggered for 3 weeks now, likely overuse from a 44km SUP followed by swimming and fishing. so is the fun life! i'm going to get back on the running train now. 10km or half marathon coming up end of month but i'm not putting any pressure on myself...

Thanks for the feedback, folks! I appreciate it. I will train without food then.

What brand of coconut water do you get? Or do you make your own?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    there are a bajillion brands now...i use whatever is on sale! just make sure it's pure.
    have fun!

Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast