Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 12

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey!
    So i just ran my half...in 1:44:44!!! WOOT!!! Last 5km were tough but this is 3min over my last PB!!!! I have to say i carbo-loaded like a fiend for about 3 days. I ate candy, gluten-free pasta etc. No idea how much that helped (my gut was just ok, not great but i didn't have to use the loo during the race so that's a bonus!)

Psyched to try another to see how I would do, if this was a fluke. Amazing the body.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations, Meloroaster!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    wow meloroaster!!! Way to go!!! That is an awesome time.

Okay, do you think you could have done it with just a sweet potato/rice carbo load?

Good question! No idea...BUT there is a half where I live July 20 that i am probably going to run. Since i'll be at home i will be in better control of my food and i'm going to stick to primal with, like you said, a focus on sweet potato/rice and also fruit (maybe honey) carb loading. I am actually wondering if i might do better with primal carb loading because, as i mentioned, my gut was not great.

But don't get me wrong, the last 5km were VERY challenging. I did manage to maintain a similar pace throughout though...around 5min/km +/- 15sec.

When I have done my relays in the past I did really well with eggs and sweet potatoes the night before. I like to mash my sweet potatoes with coconut oil and butter-then I sprinkle pastured bacon bits on top. Really, I think we need to not over eat for 13 miles. It is far, but not that far. I don't supplement anymore during but I used to like the honey stingers-or make my own.

My next half is trail, on the 18th. It is a super tough one-I won my AG last year and I can't remember the time but it was well over 2 hours. You have to pull yourself up in parts by tree roots.

hey relaygirl good luck on your next trail race! let me know how/if you carb-loaded differently. i'm going to have to continue with some long distances both cycling and running as i have the ride to conquer cancer in a month and haven't been on my bike yet!

Ughhh-I backed off on racing and now we have a family emergency and I might not get to race tomorrow after training for this particular trail half. It is obviously, the last thing of importance. My MIL is very, very ill-congestive heart failure. Husband had to go out of state to help care for her. I have the 3 kids and their 3 insane schedules. *sigh*

I'm still trying to get them squared away but it is like a big void of suddenly no one taking a kid to spend the night when most of the time it is no big deal.

That said, I have been eating breakfast every day this week. Not pushing the proteins but pushing the cherries I am just trying to get "well fed" for Saturday. I will probably make sweet potato hash today with some farm sausage and caramelized onions. I can eat that in the morning, if it all works out, with an egg on top.

I am not lean but I am strong.

JackJones is offline Junior Member
    That's interesting. How do you incorporate the training into your crossfit schedule?

I mostly lift and do circuit training crossfit style for cardio, but being in the Army I still have to be somewhat good at running and trying to fit a decent running program in ontop of lots of heavy leg days + circuit training is next to impossible to do optimally. I've been having to always run on fatigued legs.

What's your training schedule look like?
    Spreading the Paleo/Primal message to gamers through my website: http://www.thehealthygamer.com
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyJacksChannel

Hey y'all, I made it to my race and I did really well-placed 3rd in my AG-it was a small race but I will take it! I was nice and steady the whole race and did not feel badly after. I was fine the next day with no aches at all. I had sweet potatoes and sausage that morning. I had 2 bp coffees before the race-it was a late start. I had 1/2 banana during the race and I made a chia pudding in a little pack and had that at mile 7.

Jack-I kind of incorporate some lifting and hiit into my running schedule-the opposite I lift 2 days a week. I run 5 days a week. It is an occupational hazard though because I run dogs for people at lunch.

I am taking a break from racing until mid June-Utah race then.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member

Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast