Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 11

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    hey everyone

i read this last night and found it REALLY interesting. I know this debate has been going on for awhile but thought it was worth posting to see what people thought about strength/HIIT vs long distance running. (i HATE that it's always a "vs" argument but there you go).

personally, 30min workouts aren't enough for me. i actually really enjoy running longer distances (and swimming, cycling, hiking etc) and find it really therapeutic. i get that it's not for everyone but it works for me. i have definitely increased my strength/HIIT in the past few months though so we shall see how it influences my half marathon time (may 5th!).

one thing i have noticed is i've been checking my calorie count and it's been about 1,800 net daily (with exercise included) which "technically" should have resulted in some weight loss. none that i can see (i'm 5'8" and about 150lbs) though. i don't actually have much/if any to lose but a good 5-10lbs would probably help my running time. having said that, my weight has been pretty consistent my whole life so i'm starting to think it's just where my body is comfortable which is cool. i need to get some blood work done in a few weeks and thyroid is included so will be interesting to see if the articles below have any credence.

here's the blog post Steady State Cardio = Thyroid Killer? | theclothesmakethegirl
    and the article it's based on: Why Women Should Not Run

thoughts?

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meloroaster View Post
    And this

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread54724.html

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    @meloroaster my calorie count v. exercise should put me at weight 2 lbs.

I feel like I run half marathons-plus a little extra sometimes, very easily. And I enjoy it. To me that seems like it is not chronic. I don't get a lot of tests run but what I have all looks good.

I am way healthier than I was in my 20's for sure when I just walked but ate crap.

I lost weight running but gained yes, muscle, but also fat when I started lifting and eating more fat. My numbers are still good but my weight bothers me a lot--maybe because I used to be over 200 lbs in my 20's.

But that said I am down another half lb yay! I think when you have a lot muscle you have to fight for the fat loss. I do at least.

I was reading Attia's daily intake blog post-4000 calories. Almost all fat. What I actually eat The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    I've done the Dr. Attia method. I liked it but found it difficult to keep my protein at 20-25% of my calories. And I'm not active enough to eat as much as he does! Holy moly! And then I fell completely off the wagon... for May, I plan to do a whole30 to reset and then in June I'll pick up the hunks of fat again and go back to Dr. A's NK protocol.

Do you think his techniques would help you?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Jenn I was eating more Attia like before-over the past year. I think it made me gain. Mark's post on protein was good today. I'm on an all protein few days here with limited carbs and fat.

Training yesterday was really good. I lifted well and pushed sleds. I did not sprint but I did last week and I was fine.

@meloroaster Reading the thyroid/clothes make the girl article and then the comments-one thing is they talk about chronic running over 65%--to be honest I would think, except for hills I probably run maybe just a little over this? I train pretty slow and when I am running dogs it is slow and steady too. I don't use my garmin. I know I should. After my double stress fracture a few years ago I had no desire to use it-I just wanted to run free.

Have you had your thyroid tested? My gyn runs a simple test but he said those numbers were fine so I didn't explore it any further.

No more weight loss--but I definitely have thinned out in my waist. I am sure I am an adrenal cortisol metabolic hurricane. What's a girls supposed to do?

I did sprints this morning. My trainer said I kicked a** but of course, I am paying him There is a drain pipe which is just about 8 yards long-that is very steep. He had me run up it 10 times. I loved it. It is so steep you can hardly walk back down it-you really want to scoot down on your bottom.

My new favorite meal is ground beef/pork sausage combo (all pastured from my friend's farm) mixed with shredded cabbage and caramelized onions with a runny fried egg on top. Yum. I make the meat/cabbage in massive amounts so it is ready to go for several days for my husband and I. The sausage is pretty spicy but I add turmeric, sea salt, garlic powder and pepper to the meat as I am browning it.

@relaygirl i haven't had my thyroid tested yet but i think i've always been on teh cusp so my GP ticked that box to check awhile back. will actually go in to get tested next week. we shall see!

so i have quick crono-meter. decided enough is enough. it gets a little obsessive and at this point, i know when i'm eating too much/not enough. i'm going to focus on listening to my 'gut' more.

excited for half marathon on may 5!! feel good, strong. will up my safe carbs a bit next week but won't go crazy. next up i will have to get on my bike as i'm doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer June 15-16!! 280km in 2 days...oof!!

TGIF everyone!

redturkey251 is offline Junior Member
    Yeah. I am just about to start running around Diamond Head. I don't know when though. Maybe tomorrow or maybe Monday who knows. But I will love to start running on fat for 2-3 miles straight! Way to go relaygirl! Oh yeah and one more thing, what is your AG and what kind of race is it anyway. But good job!

Quick update-I am running better on the higher protein for sure--I ran 10K today with my mom's running group in 50 min. Way better than I have done in many months.

I do not have my gall bladder, I wonder if this affected how I was processing fats for energy-maybe it wasn't efficient for me. I am definitely not low fat but I am not eating 60-70% fat anymore.

I had my birthday dinner yesterday at a paleo burger place in downtown--SO GOOD! It was $10 but it was worth it.

Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast