Thread: I wannabe better page

wannabe better is offline Junior Member

I wannabe better

Primal Fuel
    Hi
    I have my son to thank for my discovery of primal eating- always lean, his obvious health since he went primal has inspired me to raise my own stakes in life!

At 60 I guess I better do it now. Putting it off isn't an option.

I would love to hear from others who might be in my position- gut problems for most of my life [ like the rest of my family] and periodic periods of sore joints, flu like symptoms...

Despite my belief that I ate well- very low quantities of low fat meat, lots and lots of fruit, vegetables, nuts, legumes, GF bread....- I had to admit that the chronic fight to maintain even my unhealthy weight, and the plague of constant tummy aches, became so frustrating that I was prepared to do just about anything!

Now I am 4 weeks into the whole thing- no GF bread, or buckwheat pancakes or anything of that ilk- not once! Probably too many nuts- maybe a little too much fruit on some days... but over all going well.

My trip to the Farmers' Markets today however was almost my undoing- the wafting odours of sour dough, Turkish pide, pizza, pastries, wonderful aromatic but sugary treats treated my resolve sorely!

So this is where I start... almost weakened today- didn't want to! Hope this can help me!!!

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    Just keep it up. I think of not giving into temptation as strength of my character. Mind over matter. There is nothing special abotu me. If I can do it, so can you. Just keep it up! You can do it!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabe better View Post
    I would love to hear from others who might be in my position- gut problems for most of my life [ like the rest of my family] and periodic periods of sore joints, flu like symptoms...
    Likely it's some kind of autoimmune reaction. Possibly it's this one:

The LLVLC Show (Episode 586): Carol Sinclair Shares How ‘The IBS Low-Starch Diet’ Saved Her Life Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

If it is, a simple genetic test can tell you one way of the other.

In any case, getting cereal grains, particularly wheat, out of your diet is probably a wise move. If it's not starch in general causing the problems, it could well be gluten or some other component of wheat.

A little experimentation might well tell you either way.

bamems is offline Junior Member
    Welcome fellow wannabe.
    I forgot to mention in my initial post that I, too, have suffered from gut problems for YEARS (12+). Nothing I did seemed to help. Unfortunately, nothing has helped yet, but I'm still hopeful that as I continue on the primal way of eating that my gut will heal itself. I get bloated by just about everything that I ingest (water and food).
    Hang in there and thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much for this link! There is a definite family history of coeliac... and I do have the markers! In the end, I am sure the substitute Gluten Free starches were almost as lethal as the wheat based products. Either way, the diet just seems a healthy alternative to buying Gluten free biscuits, feeling hungry, and yet bloated most of the time. And yes... my plan is to keep avoiding things that sorely test the will power- supermarkets haven't done it, neighter have those glass cabinet cakes, even if labelled gluten free... just the fresh home baked aromas of the Farmer's Markets! I'll give the marekts a miss for a bit!!!

That's it! Mind over matter! Walk away from that which tempts me! Perhpas having managed it once, the next time will be easier! Here's hoping!