Thread: hypomenorrhea (scanty periods)--who had it primal; who fixed it (and how?) page

thyme is offline Member

hypomenorrhea (scanty periods)--who had it primal; who fixed it (and how?)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been primal for 20 months.

For the past eight months, I've been bleeding very lightly for a day and a half, with a _total_ blood flow of 5 mL, or one teaspoon. (I use a Mooncup.) My ovulation is otherwise regular, with 10-12 day follicular phases (a little short) and 12-14 luteal phases; I'm not underweight; and I haven't lost weight during the past 9 months. I did the Leptin Reset in February-March and I'm very happy with my current leptin sensitivity--my body knows when it is hungry and when it is not.

I would be delighted about this state of affairs if I weren't trying to get pregnant.

My copper (non-hormonal) IUD was removed nine months ago, and my periods went from regular 28 day cycles with 3-4 days of medium flow to irregular 24-26 day cycles with 1.5 days of scanty flow. I assumed the diminished flow was related to the removal of the IUD and mentally gave it 6 months to recover. Nine months later: Nada.

I no longer think the removal of the IUD is at fault, because there are too many other anecdotal reports of primal/paleo hypomenorrhea floating around out there. I also don't think it's the natural state of affairs for a fertile woman, because 1 teaspoon is just too light to support an implanting embryo.

So: Who else has seen their periods become very light? Has anyone managed to fix it?

For myself, after a fair amount of research, I'm speculating that lack of carbohydrates are at fault, and that my thyroid has slowed down and may be at risk of falling into hypothyroidism. I've been eating 75-100 grams of starchy carbs +berries a day (potatoes, white rice, dairy); this cycle, I'm making a concerted effort to get 150 grams of carbs a day (a LOT of potatoes, plus yogurt, bananas, etc.), and taking Vitex, and starting accupuncture.

Anyone else?
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by thyme; 09-16-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    A lighter period doesn't necessarily mean lack of fertility, though. Have you consulted a doctor? My period has been lighter since I've lost weight and gone prima, about the same as yours, actually, and frankly I'm overjoyed, but I'm not trying to get pregnant...
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

thyme is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    A lighter period doesn't necessarily mean lack of fertility, though. Have you consulted a doctor? My period has been lighter since I've lost weight and gone prima, about the same as yours, actually, and frankly I'm overjoyed, but I'm not trying to get pregnant...
    thanks. I haven't seen a Western doctor yet: I'm not ready to go on hormones yet, which is pretty much the only fix they have.

I saw a TCM doctor, an accupuncturist today; he said I was basically very healthy but had a week spleen. He said a teaspoon of blood, total, was spotting, not a period, even with regular ovulation, and that it was a fertility problem. His symptomatic suggestions based on his observation of a weak spleen were spot-on: yup, I have cold hands and feet, sore tibias, fatigue after eating, occasional bloating. He suggested eating more frequently (e.g., smaller breakfast and actually eat lunch) and a few more easily digestible foods (which I think means more carbs, and said I should try to keep warm.

I'm going back to see him again in two weeks; I'll give this 3 cycles or so to see if there's any improvement before I go to a Western doctor.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Hi Thyme, I have just private messaged you - so am hoping these suggestions will help.
    Good luck
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

PaleoCowgirl is offline Senior Member
    I have PCOS and HA and a site that I have found useful is Paleo For Women. Stefani writes a lot about these issues. I will admit that while there is a recommendation for more carbs for fertility, I struggle with this because more carbs equal more cravings, which exacerbates my PCOS.