Thread: Crossfit and a Commercial Gym page

animal1991 is offline Junior Member

Crossfit and a Commercial Gym

I want to start doing some Crossfit workouts at my gym. The problem is it is commercial and all the equipment and space is not available. And the WOD's they post on the site I wouldn't be able to do. So how can I still do crossfit but use the equipment at a normal gym

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Crossfit is a glorified complex, so do anything you want. Cleans, Push press, pull ups, plate swings, lunges, pushups with feet elevated, jump rope? I don't know I don't like cross fit. But do any compound movement plus a bodyweight movement in succession with limited rest.

nojoke is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Crossfit is a glorified complex, so do anything you want. Cleans, Push press, pull ups, plate swings, lunges, pushups with feet elevated, jump rope? I don't know I don't like cross fit. But do any compound movement plus a bodyweight movement in succession with limited rest.
    I do Crossfit myself, not in the cult so to speak, did drink the Koolaid at one time, but came back to reality. I do center my training around strength and conditioning (Wendler) with some Crossfit on the side, and will admit that Crossfit is not the savior to mankind, contrary to some people's belief. I have been doing it for about 2.5 years, I have been Level 1 certified which really isnt anything to big if you do some research just another skillset to add to your toolbox if your into all around fitness.

However, I do have to disagree with you on some points.

Crossfit is a glorified complex, so do anything you want
    It is a complex yes, but its far from that. Anyone can do what you suggested. However there are cycles during a respective week, certain cycles key and hone skills on certain movements, others work in different realms, metabolic conditioning, strength, gymnastics movements, Olympic movements, and core movements. Different energy systems are being utilized for different types of workouts based on intensity load, and length, all varied. Those are "supposed" to be encompassed in a weeks time-frame as to keep it "evolving" and different. Crossfit specializes in not specializing, you train for everything, not the predictable. There is some truth that it is just crosstraining, anybody can throw some bodyweight movements together with no education on the matter.

I can further this discussion, but for the OP's sake I wont.

Animal1991: Here is my suggestion. Im military, I deploy quite often and sometimes go to places that arent setup for crossfit in general. You have to get creative, and you also dont have to follow mainsite Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness for workout programming. There are thousands of crossfit gyms out there that publish their WOD's daily.

Good Link for scaling the mainsite wod, they do it daily, nice resource.
    CrossFit Brand X Forum| CrossFit WOD

WODShop Generator...excellent source for random workouts based on what equipment you have.
    The WOD Shop - Online CrossFit Workout of the Day (WOD) Generator

If you need anything else let me know or message me, be glad to help. I also suggest if you can find a box attend one, or simply "youtube" a movement if you dont understand it and hundreds of videos will pop up. Instilliing good form from the get go is alot easier than breaking bad habits if you decide to stick with crossfit for your fitness choice.

Also, see these links below for Crossfit/Fitness supplies, rings, bars, etc.....AgainFaster is a huge resource.

https://www.againfaster.com/

Rogue Fitness :: Strength & Conditioning Equipment

I'm slowly building a garage gym setup with the basics up to 550lbs in plates, 1-2 bars, rack, 24' box, rings, pullup bar, and abmat with a wallball. Its economical, and very convenient if your isolated. Rogue offers packages.
    Last edited by nojoke; 09-16-2012 at 01:23 PM.

stevenhunt334 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks nojoke.

Last edited by stevenhunt334; 11-14-2014 at 08:09 AM.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    How do you define Crossfit if not in the context of a Crossfit gym ? Isn't it just varied exercise !

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    How do you define Crossfit if not in the context of a Crossfit gym ? Isn't it just varied exercise !
    Pretty much. CrossFit isn't so much the exercise as it is the fact you have coaches and members standing their chearing you on. I attend a box 3 times a week, I wouldn't even manage 10% of what I do at the box on my own... every single day I'm ready to give up during the damn WARM UPS let alone the WOD, and when you have 5-15 people standing around "come on Ryan you got this, one more, keep moving!" I'll get considerably more done than I would without them. I don't do CrossFit for the random exercise, I pay $140 a month for the COMMUNITY and the motivation/support that comes along with it.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Its actually even less than that....

Its the trademarking of "varied exercise". Its pure marketing.

Abatt2006 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Pretty much. CrossFit isn't so much the exercise as it is the fact you have coaches and members standing their chearing you on. I attend a box 3 times a week, I wouldn't even manage 10% of what I do at the box on my own... every single day I'm ready to give up during the damn WARM UPS let alone the WOD, and when you have 5-15 people standing around "come on Ryan you got this, one more, keep moving!" I'll get considerably more done than I would without them. I don't do CrossFit for the random exercise, I pay $140 a month for the COMMUNITY and the motivation/support that comes along with it.
    +1 for this. The wife and I tried a variety of workout routines (gym, p90x, etc) and basically failed miserably. The accountability, coaching, and community at our crossfit has kept us on the straight and narrow.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum