Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question - new to non-homogenized milk page

LauraSB is offline Senior Member

Question - new to non-homogenized milk

I bought some organic, grass fed, low temp pasteurized, non-homogenized milk for the first time. I expected the fat to separate, but I didn't expect it to form solid chunks that stuck to the glass container no matter how much I shook it. Is my frig too cold, or is this normal? I was bummed to see all that fat lost.

On a related note, I discovered later that this same dairy also produces non-organic, pasteurized, homogenized milk which makes me think I ought to find another source. Do you think this makes the quality of their organic milk suspect? This was a complication in sourcing better milk that I never even considered. Ugh...
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I have the same issue with that kind of milk. Hopefully someone will provide the solution.

I wouldn't worry that they make other milk.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... my experience is with Raw milk... high fat Jersey and Guernsey.
    So, organic, grass fed, non-pasteurized, non-homogenized...
    When I shake, it mixes.
    Sometimes if the jar (glass half-gallon mason jar) is very full there is a tiny bit that doesn't stuck to the lid or something, but never "chunks" or anything like that.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    has the milk been frozen? that can cause the cream to clump. otherwise, i wonder if it is from the pasteurisation?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I've bought raw mill that have formed lumps of cream on top too. They're supposed to be normal because in unpasteurized milk, the cream should rise to the top. You could try shaking it to dissipate the lumps, or do as I do and just happily eat a lump of cream.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... Could be the low temp pasteurization makes the fat stick to the glass. I haven't read much technical literature on the effects of pasteurization. I don't mind the chunks of fat that float in the milk. 99% of my milk consumption is in coffee, so the fat just melts. I was just sad to see all the fat stuck to the glass bottle.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Mine is raw and ive never had that problem. Unless I've had one for over 2 weeks without shaking, but even then its not that much of a problem. I suspect the pasteurization...which is dangerous! Try to find raw
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Hmm... Could be the low temp pasteurization makes the fat stick to the glass. I haven't read much technical literature on the effects of pasteurization. I don't mind the chunks of fat that float in the milk. 99% of my milk consumption is in coffee, so the fat just melts. I was just sad to see all the fat stuck to the glass bottle.
    Just take a small spatula (almost kid size) and scrap it off, then enjoy.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

The_Undead_Pixie is offline Junior Member
    If the container is fairly full empty some of the milk out and then shake it. You should find the momentum of milk will now be enough to dislodge the cream and mix back into the milk. Happens to me all the time and it is only difficult to dislodge when the bottle is fairly full.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I buy this type of milk and apparently, according to the dairy, the pasteurization causes this. The cream is liquid when the milk is fresh, but as it ages, it become more solid.

As for those of you who insist on telling us we should get raw milk, some of us do not have access to this. Raw milk is illegal in Maryland and Delaware. It is legal in PA, but can be difficult to find if you don't live within a reasonable distance to the farm. It is also illegal to bring raw milk across state lines. The milk I buy is from Trickling Springs dairy, and it's the best I can do under the circumstances. I feel lucky that I was able to find this at a Mennonite market only 20 minutes from home. Trickling Springs produces both organic and non-organic grass-fed milk products, and raw milk cheeses. I trust them. They have always answered my questions when I contact them and seem to have a good business ethic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast