Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question - new to non-homogenized milk page 3

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    I buy this type of milk and apparently, according to the dairy, the pasteurization causes this. The cream is liquid when the milk is fresh, but as it ages, it become more solid.

As for those of you who insist on telling us we should get raw milk, some of us do not have access to this. Raw milk is illegal in Maryland and Delaware. It is legal in PA, but can be difficult to find if you don't live within a reasonable distance to the farm. It is also illegal to bring raw milk across state lines.
    Just because it is "illegal" doesn't mean you can't get it. If Florida, it is legal to sell raw milk for "pets". In Maryland it is legal for "soapmaking" and "pets" and there are several sources of raw milk in MD listed on the Weston Price raw milk finder. You should check it out to see if any of them are in your area. I didn't think I'd have much luck finding raw milk living on Miami Beach, but there is actually a place in North Miami Beach where you can pick it up every Thursday.

JackMcNasty is offline Junior Member
    It is illegal everywhere in canada. You have to know a farmer who is willing to sell it which is pretty tricky i have come to find. It is as if i were trying to buy drugs. It is pathetic.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    We get milk like this, and the back of our fridge is cold and the last bottle will usually end up with a plug. I try to put the milk on the side every once in a while if I have room, but I have a small fridge so I don't often have room. If needed, I stick in a fork and use the tines to break it up.

The farm I get sells low pasteurized and non-homogenized, organic. Another farm sells the same, only not organic. In the blurb they did for PBS they say that they want to reserve the right to give a sick cow (say one with mastitis, extremely painful) antibiotics if needed. Cows are expensive, they want to protect their investment.

Which I can understand. They are not feeding antibiotics all the time, just as needed, and then removing that cow from the milk supply until she no longer has traces of antibiotics in her system.

Reality is, I will allow my kids to be treated with antibiotics, like when my son had a perforated eardrum this summer. Same with my pets. But it is not an all the time thing, only as needed. I think our farm animals should be allowed to do the same, so that they can have a humane life. Processors of animals who end up as food do not sell them as organic, they send them to the traditional processing places.

JackMcNasty is offline Junior Member
    I had a lead on some and went to get it and the guy wasn't there. 1 hour drive and no milk. This sucks.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackMcNasty View Post
    I had a lead on some and went to get it and the guy wasn't there. 1 hour drive and no milk. This sucks.
    I did the same yesterday. Should have called first. The girl who answered the door said the dairy had been out of business since they moved in a couple of years ago. The next closest place looks like it would be another 20 min away. It was a nice drive through beautiful SE Pennsylvania, though, so not a complete loss.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

jpatti is offline Member
    Lynna, if you WANT raw milk, Your Family Cow is nearby also (Chambersburg).

I'm in Carlisle and my milkman delivers from both Trickling Springs Creamery and Your Family Cow (and a couple other places). I get the butter from Trickling Springs, but the milk from YFC as they have it raw.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatti View Post
    Lynna, if you WANT raw milk, Your Family Cow is nearby also (Chambersburg).

I'm in Carlisle and my milkman delivers from both Trickling Springs Creamery and Your Family Cow (and a couple other places). I get the butter from Trickling Springs, but the milk from YFC as they have it raw.
    I live in Newark DE so I'm about 3 hours away from Chambersburg. I get Trickling Springs non-homogenized milk from a Mennonite farm market near Chesapeake City MD. TS delivers to them every Wednesday. They also carry TS butter and cheeses and Pequea Valley Yogurt. I'm happy enough going there, because they raise grass-feed beef, free-range chickens, turkeys, pigs and eggs.

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    I have bought the low temp non-homogenized stuff and never had that problem but it always came in a plastic jug so I would not know if there were cream clumps I guess. Now on the other hand I buy grassfed organic raw milk and the milk and cream are yellow and the jar is sometimes half cream. When it is like that I get cream that sticks to the side of the jar. I shake take some of the cream out and then I shake it hard. If cream still sticks I just scrape it down. No wasting cream allowed here! As long as your milk is fresh and tastes good I would say you just are getting some nice creamy milk and that is a good thing.

mmack66 is offline Member
    What is non-non-homogenized milk?

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    I live in Newark DE so I'm about 3 hours away from Chambersburg. I get Trickling Springs non-homogenized milk from a Mennonite farm market near Chesapeake City MD. TS delivers to them every Wednesday. They also carry TS butter and cheeses and Pequea Valley Yogurt. I'm happy enough going there, because they raise grass-feed beef, free-range chickens, turkeys, pigs and eggs.
    Lynna, you can get eggs and meat in Chesapeake City? We have been driving to Georgetown, DE, but Chesapeake City would be less than 1/2 the distance.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast