Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question - new to non-homogenized milk page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The cream sticks to the container. That's just the way it is. You can shake it but some will still stick. What I do is at the end, when the container is empty, is I swish a little coffee around in it to get the last bit of cream out for my coffee.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the tips on getting the bits of fat off the glass bottle. If this is normal, I'll just deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    I buy this type of milk and apparently, according to the dairy, the pasteurization causes this. The cream is liquid when the milk is fresh, but as it ages, it become more solid.

As for those of you who insist on telling us we should get raw milk, some of us do not have access to this. Raw milk is illegal in Maryland and Delaware. It is legal in PA, but can be difficult to find if you don't live within a reasonable distance to the farm. It is also illegal to bring raw milk across state lines. The milk I buy is from Trickling Springs dairy, and it's the best I can do under the circumstances. I feel lucky that I was able to find this at a Mennonite market only 20 minutes from home. Trickling Springs produces both organic and non-organic grass-fed milk products, and raw milk cheeses. I trust them. They have always answered my questions when I contact them and seem to have a good business ethic.
    Lynna, the milk I bought was also from Trickling Springs. I got the first (organic) 1/2 gallon at Whole Foods on 202 just north of the Delaware line. It was delish. Then I found their Farm Friends non-organic at the Middletown, DE Farmers' Market. I think it tasted about the same. I'm not sure I understand the point of grass fed, non-organic, unless they just happen to have some farmers who are organic, but not certified. I emailed asking what the differences between their Whole Foods line and their Farm Friends line are and am waiting to hear back.

So if I drove into PA to pick up raw milk, would they refuse to sell it to me, or would I risk being arrested when I returned to DE? I was thinking there must be raw milk available in DE and you just have to know the right people, but maybe not...
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Just wanted to follow up. Joe from Trickling Springs got back to me and their Farm Friends brand is from farms that adhere to their guidelines, but have not completed the paperwork to become certified organic. I actually like the fact that they work with farms that are grass fed and organic, but not certified.

I did find a place not too far into PA that sells raw, so I plan to head up there to try some out. Hopefully, I won't get arrested, lol.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195

xixstar is offline Junior Member
    Glad you've found some answers. If you ask around you may find a local buying group for raw milk. Usually means knowing some people. I have friends that like Trickling Springs and like that it is their easy source for grass fed milk.

mmack66 is offline Member
    I drink Kalona Organics milk which is grass-fed, VAT pasteurized, non-homogenized, and organic. There is always a plug of cream at the top of the bottle. As others have mentioned, it takes a glass or two of milk before there is enough room in the bottle to shake it up and distribute the cream.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    My raw milk does this if I let it sit too long at first without shaking. I pick it up the same day it's milked, so I know it's fresh. However I get my gallon in two 1/2 gallon jars, so the one jar would always sit for a few days before use. Now I just try to remember to shake the second jar once a day even before I'm through with the first, and it seems to get rid of the "stuck on cream" problem.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Raw milk is also illegal in Indiana - the closest we can get is non-non-homogenized. True raw milk can only be sold for animal use. One can, however, purchase shares in a cow and get raw milk that way. I am unsure how that actually works but am considering checking it out. Right now I am in a non-dairy experiment however - outside of butter.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I don't know - I've bought non-non-homogenized in glass bottles (in Ohio) and never had this problem.

I think you might want to check your fridge temp. When I first bought raw milk here in FL (formydog) I got some at a farmer's market and it was - weird. Chunks and things, no matter how much I swished and shook without risking making butter. I think, because they were keeping it during the week to take to market on Saturday, and then keeping it in an electric cooler connected to a generator to cool it at market, the farmers got it too cold at some point. Since even people who want raw milk are still kinda freaked about (theirdog) getting sick, I think they tend to err on the side of freezing temps.

I'm not a chemist or anything, but I think very cold temperatures do something weird to un-homogenized milkfat.

I've switched to a different source of milk (formydog) and now have no problems.

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    My cats are very very happy with their raw cream. They don't even mind when I make chocolate mousse (stevia sweetened) with it.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Following up again ... the last bottle we've stored in the frig door, rather than the inside top shelf, and the cream has not stuck to the bottle. I think our frig might be a bit cold. DH misses the "chunks" in his milk, lol. We may move it out of the door once there's a bit of shaking room in the bottle, so he can have his chunks.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast