Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody got their own cow? I mean, in your backyard? page

TheUnrulyHound is offline Junior Member

Question Anybody got their own cow? I mean, in your backyard?

Shop Now
    I have acreage, not all of it is fenced but that could be remedied in time.... I was wondering if anyone here has their own cows that they take to get butchered?

How much acreage does a cow need? is this more cost effective to "grow" your own cow than to cowpool for grass fed? Could I possibly live next to my future steak and go thru with the butchering?? How much freezer room does a whole cow need once butchered? where do you take your animal when it is "Time"?

Just pondering
    Holly and the Greyhounds-Cabby, Bully, Nelson, Stepper, Streamer and Fiona
    Adopt a greyhound! www.GALTx.com An ancient (Primal?) Breed

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    how much land do you have? we raised quite a lot of goats on about an acre or so of pasture growing up. i would think about an acre of pasture for one cow would probably be enough, especially if you supplement with hay. go to your library - they should have a book or two how to do it for the 4-H kids.

i would think that raising your own cow would be VERY cheap - especially if it's grassfed. we didn't have a lot of money growing up, but we managed to raise 100 chickens most summers & survived on that over the year. we couldn't have done it if it was expensive.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

We have 75 acres but the main problem is that it is not fenced and THAT is expensive!! it is a work in progress Some of it (maybe 20 acres?) is also leased to a guy who plants corn or wheat (blech) every year so we can have ag exemption.

did you eat the goats? I had a pet goat once

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Oddly my brother is raising goats as of this last year.

Can't help ya with the cow thing dude.

Willow_NyteEyes is offline Senior Member
    Cows are slow and placid animals... you don't need big strong fencing like you would for horses or pigs. Look into pole & wire fencing. Tons cheaper than chain-link or plank and it you make the top wire electric the cow will just avoid the fence completely.
    ~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

chain link and plank are not even options that crossed my mind. more like T-posts and barbed wire.... I do have a pasture for horses but I am not sure how a big cow and my mini horses (about 38 inches tall at the shoulder) would get along The horses just have straight wire fencing.

Anyone know anything about the butchering part and what to do for that? do those of you with goats butcher them (being smaller) yourselves?

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    There are miniature cattle to you know . . .
    http://www.miniaturelonghorns.com/

Check your zoning laws and butchering requirements. You may be required to take the cow to an off-site abattoir.

PookDo is offline Senior Member
    Do ex girlfriends count?

Sorry couldn't help it

LOL @ mini cows!!! hahahaha!!! I could have some pygmy goats too huh? have a mini herd of tiny food excluding the horses of course!

I called a local butcher (that advertised processing wild game like deer) and the cow would evidently need to be taken to be inspected by the USDA then transported (killed already) to the butcher shop. I have emailed a place that does the inspection now... maybe they know of a place that does it all

It may not happen tomorrow but it is an idea.

PookDo, you have an Ex living in your backyard or did you want to know how to get her "processed" ??? ewwwwwwwwwww

PookDo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnrulyHound View Post
    LOL @ mini cows!!! hahahaha!!! I could have some pygmy goats too huh? have a mini herd of tiny food excluding the horses of course!

I called a local butcher (that advertised processing wild game like deer) and the cow would evidently need to be taken to be inspected by the USDA then transported (killed already) to the butcher shop. I have emailed a place that does the inspection now... maybe they know of a place that does it all

It may not happen tomorrow but it is an idea.

PookDo, you have an Ex living in your backyard or did you want to know how to get her "processed" ??? ewwwwwwwwwww
    The thread asked if anyone owns a cow.Used to dated a woman about 20 years ago that could have passed for one and I don't have a back yard
    Last edited by PookDo; 04-02-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast