Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb withdrawals - when do they usually hit? page

Caz1969 is offline Member

Carb withdrawals - when do they usually hit?

Shop Now
    I'm just starting day 5 of this lifestyle and haven't seen any signs of carb withdrawals. I expected them to have hit me by now, but am wondering how long from making the change they usually kick in.

Approximately what day did you start feeling carb withdrawals and how long did they last? Thanks.

Paleobird Guest
    I depends on how much of a carb/sugar junkie you are to begin with (or not). Some people never get the "low carb flu" at all. I didn't.

Caz1969 is offline Member
    Thanks Paleobird. I'd consider my daily family block of chocolate, washed down with a litre or two of pepsi per day followed up with rice or pasta dish for dinner would mean I'd qualify as an excarb/sugar junkie. I just expected to feel terrible round about now, but am so far feeling fine. Can only hope I'll be as lucky as you were, but I don't deserve to be.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    As Paleobird said....I had cut down a lot before even becoming primal so no flu at all.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

paytonfan86 is offline Junior Member
    I've been on this WOE for two weeks. Major junk food junkie previously. Not one withdrawal.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there's a definite answer for this. It's very much ymmv, as the others have said, depending on how wholeheartedly (or not) you've diven into primal, and your previous diet and the dependence on carbs and sugar you were used to eating previously.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I never had the withdrawal either. And I went from having quite a lot of sugar to none overnight. I'm now pretty low in carbs and never had this "low carb flu" I've heard so much about!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    A lot of people do not have any withdrawl symptoms. Do you have signs of metabolic syndrome? I did. My carb flu was awful.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I eased into primal, and about 3 weeks in I got sick. I thought I had the flu that weekend (sore throat, stuffy nose, cough, aches, sweats, chills, exhaustion). I slept through most of it. I probably did have something viral, but it coincided with the carb flu, because on top of the typical flu symptoms I had a very odd, distinct, intense body odor. Not just pits...it seems to come from everywhere, and I felt like I was sweating alot. And then a couple of days later it was gone and hasn't come back.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I don't think there's a definite answer for this. It's very much ymmv, as the others have said, depending on how wholeheartedly (or not) you've diven into primal, and your previous diet and the dependence on carbs and sugar you were used to eating previously.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    A lot of people do not have any withdrawl symptoms. Do you have signs of metabolic syndrome? I did. My carb flu was awful.
    I think these two are important. If your metabolism is fairly healthy to begin with, the change is much easier.
    Also it seems to me that diving in whole heartedly as opposed to sticking a toe in the Primal pool is a better way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast