Thread: Trying to buy a multipurpose cooker for college page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Trying to buy a multipurpose cooker for college

Primal Fuel
    At first, I was planning on just buying a rice cooker, slow cooker, and steamer. However, I've looked into things and am now thinking about buying an "all in one" cooker.

I'm trying to find a high pressure pot that can also slow cook, cook rice, and steam. Does anyone have some suggestions? Thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I *love* my Zojirushi Fuzzy Logic rice cooker. It can also make pilafs, chilis, soups, oatmeal, etc. They are not cheap, but the quality is worth it. Not very primal, though. Rice? Beans? Oatmeal?

A pressure cooker is probably your best bet because it will cook the meats quickly and well. I have a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker that I also love. 7qt. It will also cook the rices, beans, chili but will allow you to cook an entire chicken for chicken soup in the winter in under an hour. You cannot just plug it in and walk away. That might be a problem. You need a stove top and you have to attend to it. Meals cook in minutes...

Amazon.com plus the Miss Vickie's pressure cooking cookbook and you are good to go! Make the most of college and have fun!

Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Top Pressure Cooker 7.4-Quart: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

The Imusa 5qt electric got the best reviews in a Good Housekeeping article as well as the Cuisinart CPC-600. Those are programmables.
    Last edited by PHaselow; 09-15-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Kylex286 is offline Member
    Oh, my roommate bought one when we first moved to college, that thing was awesome! i think he got it off amazon, but I can't be sure. Also, check Asian markets, they tend to have some if it's a good market.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure it's allowed? I know a lot of dorms and colleges don't allow these appliances inside dorms. If you must get one, I recommend the Tiger brand of cooker/steamers, and yes, Asian stores are your best bet for these things.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

neowild is offline Member
    Stephan Guyenet at Whole Health Source wrote a review of the Instant Pot you linked. I've considered buying one too. The selling point for me is the stainless steel insert. I would love to get something like this to replace my crock pot.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Oh I am so adding the Instant Pot IP to my xmas list. Functional and pretty.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Ok... I hate kitchen gadgetry and that thing sounds AMAZING... and I may have to have one.
    Seriously.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.