Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with bulletproof coffee and what is it suppose to do? page 6

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Lactose barely elevates blood sugar. The insulin spikes in dairy are caused by branch chain amino acids, with the most prominent being l-leucine. Protein is often more insulinogenic than carbohydrate, and branch chain amino acids found in dairy generate more insulin than white bread, far more insulin than pure sugar, and even more than whole fruit.
    OOooh, thanks for the clarification. I remembered way back when when the insulin spike discussion was made due to something in dairy, and I just assumed it to be lactose before double checking my reference. :X Won't be making that mistake again.

Bulletproof coffee is a creation of a sensationalist blogger whose goal is to attract readers obsessed with counter-culture. Drinking butter counter-culture to CW, so it makes sense to go after the paleo crowd as it tends to be an obsessive bunch. I've tried to read posts in that blog and it has to be some of the most sensationalist BS I've ever read. His food recommendations often make little sense. Anyone who claims to maintain single digit body fat while eating 4,500+ calories a day while never exercising and drinking sticks of butter for breakfast is about as credible as Bernie Madoff's investments.
    Well considering he also takes like 1 bajillion other supplements, I would just say that at the cellular level he is incredibly healthy and do not doubt that he loses weight so long as he limits toxins. I don't think his motivations are purely malevolent though. I think he genuinely does want to help people; that's why so much of his material is free.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Bulletproof coffee is a creation of a sensationalist blogger whose goal is to attract readers obsessed with counter-culture. Drinking butter counter-culture to CW, so it makes sense to go after the paleo crowd as it tends to be an obsessive bunch. I've tried to read posts in that blog and it has to be some of the most sensationalist BS I've ever read. His food recommendations often make little sense. Anyone who claims to maintain single digit body fat while eating 4,500+ calories a day while never exercising and drinking sticks of butter for breakfast is about as credible as Bernie Madoff's investments.
    You know... a lot of that is the same thing I think when I read about what you eat.
    It wouldn't work for me in a million years.
    I find the constant references to how many pounds of carbs you've eaten to make me feel ill.
    To the point that I completely skip them.
    Not because they are carbs... it's just a volume issue.
    You eat a FukTON of food... Way too much for me.
    It wouldn't work for a lot of people here in fact.
    Fruit and such makes a lot of people bingey sweet-toothed monsters.
    We all have our crosses to bear.
    But hey... it works for you, and it works for some other folks too.
    To each their own.

It is possible that Bullet Proof-dudes plan works for him... and some of his followers too. *shrug*
    That's how this whole deal works...
    People find what works for them.
    What works for other people is not always what works for you.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm not disgusted by the idea of butter or other fats in my coffee, but I don't drink bulletproof for the same reason I avoid soda and other frothy sweet drinks: I'd rather eat my calories.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    My weight loss seems to have stalled, and I want to kick things up a notch.
    My Zumba instructor DIL was stalled forever, and I sent some CO and butter home with her. She said she lost 10lbs like *that*. Co-inky dink maybe but I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I'd rather eat my calories.
    I would too except when I am fasting.

This is a modified fast with many of the benefits of an absolute fast. My BPC is just over 200 calories - I use a TBL, not a stick - and if I eat breakfast, it is always way more calories than that. So even if it had no beneficial properties for fasting, if I only have BPC for breakfast, over the course of the day, it helps me to keep my calories in check.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    You know... a lot of that is the same thing I think when I read about what you eat.
    I find the constant references to how many pounds of carbs you've eaten to make me feel ill.
    To each their own.

It is possible that Bullet Proof-dudes plan works for him... and some of his followers too. *shrug*
    Thank you Cori.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    OOooh, thanks for the clarification. I remembered way back when when the insulin spike discussion was made due to something in dairy, and I just assumed it to be lactose before double checking my reference. :X Won't be making that mistake again.
    IMO this is a pretty good article and it's worth a read.

Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 3…MOOOOO!!!! » Weightology Weekly
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    To each their own.

I really don't eat that much food. I probably average around ~2400 calories a day, which is probably a significant deficit compared to most of the guys on this forum due to my size. I can only really eat "large" meals 1-2 hours after lifting heavy because that's what it takes to get me really hungry. Also, factor in I virtually never snack, never drink calories (outside of irregular brushes with alcohol) and only eat maybe twice a day. And lunch is always just a salad.

Over the past year I've gained 21 lbs, and it was not easy. Last October I weighed 132 lbs. Now, I weigh 153 lbs. However, I still fit into all the same clothes. Losing weight is easy, gaining weight is even easier, but gaining quality weight - that takes a lot of patience and time, and you have to do it slowly.

Ultimately eat whatever you want to eat. That's your business. The only thing I have a problem with is the notion that drinking large quantities of butter is not only healthy, but somehow will help you lose weight. Umm, what? Empty calories by definition!

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I'm not disgusted by the idea of butter or other fats in my coffee, but I don't drink bulletproof for the same reason I avoid soda and other frothy sweet drinks: I'd rather eat my calories.

Yes, there is little difference between sugary drinks and bulletproof coffee. It's almost entirely empty calories, and they can both easily be marketed as "energy drinks."
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-20-2012 at 10:02 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Primal: a term coined by Mark Sisson, and which means pretty much what he says it does

Paleo: what an actual Grok probably would have eaten, if we could figure out what foods were actually available.

I see no reason to argue that BP coffee isn't Primal... Mark drinks coffee (often with cream AND SUGAR), according to some of his blog postings. I do grant you that coffee - BP or not - is probably not Paleo, since there doesn't seem to be any fossil evidence that Grok used a french press.

Some people will find BP coffee helpful. Some will not. N = 1, remember?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    These threads derail when anybody makes the assumption that those utilizing bulletproof coffee (or any high fat substitute) is doing so in an uninformed state. Most that are using it do so with complete understanding of the metabolic effect they are aiming for, and also it is only a "part of the whole" of their daily regimen.

It is much like Marks new post where he puts startchy carbs in the "supplemental" category for high level athletes. BP coffee is a supplemental fat for those transitioning to IF (for its MANY touted benefits) or attempting to get more of the good fatty acid profile that promote health and weight loss. Fatty acids are nutritious. This hate on healthy fats is ridiculous, so please don't post me a fit day report on a BP coffee without taking into account that I believe each and every type of fat found in coconut and butter to have exceptional nutritious value.

Personally I have taken a shine to using coconut cream in mine, but to each their own.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-20-2012 at 10:13 AM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Yes, there is little difference between sugary drinks and bulletproof coffee. It's almost entirely empty calories, and they can both easily be marketed as "energy drinks."
    Except one is going to make me binge on food an hour later and the other will put off my appetite until I can get my hands on real food. Hmmmmm....

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast