Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with bulletproof coffee and what is it suppose to do? page 5

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    So I made my BPC w/ghee instead of butter, and used CO of course, not just ghee or butter coffee, and for me, the ghee and the butter are about the same. I don't really like coffee that much anyways, and would much rather drink it SAD way but I havent for months. So I am not that crazy about the taste, but I do like that when it replaces breakfast, it saves me hundreds of calories that I can use later. And if it helps me achieve all the other benefits of fasting, bonus.

Now that I have had a few more sips, I think I might be leaning more towards butter.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    It is basically a primal breakfast drink...

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's magic, but it's been a handy tool if I don't have the food or time for breakfast, or if we run out of heavy cream. I think it tastes pretty good, and it gets a nice frothy top if you use a blender to make it.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleToes View Post
    Coffee with butter??? I can’t imagine mixing butter with coffee. Normally I use cream to enhance its flavor.
    What do you think butter is? It's beaten up cream.... Pour some cream into your blender some day and let it go for a long time... You get butter.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    [/B]
    I have a bullet blender of sorts. I put it in the bullet part with the blade, and just shake it by hand so I don't wake up the entire household.
    How do you get this to work? I thought it was "bulletproof" coffee.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    It is basically a primal breakfast drink...
    There is nothing primal about bulletproof coffee.

Nothing at all.

If people want to drink it, no worries, drink it. But don't kid yourself it is in any way shape or form Grok-like.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    There is nothing primal about bulletproof coffee.

Nothing at all.

If people want to drink it, no worries, drink it. But don't kid yourself it is in any way shape or form Grok-like.
    Well, technically, Grok didn't walk up to the butcher at Whole Foods and ask for a few pounds of grass fed beef shanks either, but that's considered Primal. If I had to forage for squirrels and edible plants, I'd probably choose another way of life. I don't want to wash my dishes in a creek either.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I just tried my first BPC and it's not bad! At first I thought coffee and butter?? EWWWWW... but really it's quite nice (I have sweetened mine though... with erythritol and stevia). I used freshly ground and brewed coffee, MCT and butter (probably not as much as mentioned in the original recipe though... I just tossed in a chunk).

And I agree it's not "primal", but then again, that's not really the point . I'm interested in actually having it in the morning instead of breakfast (I had it later today, simply because I only just GOT my coffee grinder and MCT oil in the mail). I normally like my bacon and egg breakfast, but whatever . I'm going to see if this will tide me over for a few hours. My weight loss seems to have stalled, and I want to kick things up a notch.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picaro View Post
    Unsalted butter tastes about the same as a good cream in coffee. A little coconut oil and a pinch of cinnamon add a nice touch.

But I don't think its a dietary wonder tool.
    Butter is made from churning cream so the similarity in taste isn't surprising.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    There are still traces of lactose that could easily make small spikes in insulin. Lactose spikes insulin far more easily than any other sugar.
    Lactose barely elevates blood sugar. The insulin spikes in dairy are caused by branch chain amino acids, with the most prominent being l-leucine. Protein is often more insulinogenic than carbohydrate, and branch chain amino acids found in dairy generate more insulin than white bread, far more insulin than pure sugar, and even more than whole fruit.

Bulletproof coffee is a creation of a sensationalist blogger whose goal is to attract readers obsessed with counter-culture. Drinking butter counter-culture to CW, so it makes sense to go after the paleo crowd as it tends to be an obsessive bunch. I've tried to read posts in that blog and it has to be some of the most sensationalist BS I've ever read. His food recommendations often make little sense. Anyone who claims to maintain single digit body fat while eating 4,500+ calories a day while never exercising and drinking sticks of butter for breakfast is about as credible as Bernie Madoff's investments.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast