Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with bulletproof coffee and what is it suppose to do? page 4

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Heavy cream won't, it's mostly fat, very low protein & lactose. Milk is far more insulinogenic and could well take you out. Coconut Oil and MCT won't, again almost all fat.
    There are still traces of lactose that could easily make small spikes in insulin. Lactose spikes insulin far more easily than any other sugar.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Still, it's dairy. Dairy is garbage. Why bother with cream when coconut milk is so much more optimal for ketogenesis, anyway?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Why bother with cream when coconut milk is so much more optimal for ketogenesis, anyway?
    I havent even ever looked for any. I will have to make it a point to get some.

Question: Do you make your own?
    Last edited by gopintos; 09-18-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Asian markets, ethnic markets are your best bets. Or order Aroy-D if you can't find it. It comes in BPA-free cartons and has no additives - and is sweet, can be drunk alone if warmed.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Asian markets, ethnic markets are your best bets. Or order Aroy-D if you can't find it. It comes in BPA-free cartons and has no additives - and is sweet, can be drunk alone if warmed.
    They had the Aroy-D coconut cream on sale at my favorite Asian supermarket for some ridiculously low price so I bought a whole case. Those cartons are great for storage.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    The insulinogenic effects of dairy in your coffee can accomplish the same thing as an apple.
    Even if you're using butter or ghee which shouldn't have any carbohydrate? I can see how cream might, as it has some lactose in it still (even if not as much as milk).

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    Even if you're using butter or ghee which shouldn't have any carbohydrate? I can see how cream might, as it has some lactose in it still (even if not as much as milk).
    Butter does. Ghee won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    They had the Aroy-D coconut cream on sale at my favorite Asian supermarket for some ridiculously low price so I bought a whole case. Those cartons are great for storage.
    I wouldn't touch tetrapaks either. Those just have been untested forms of packaging. The only coconut milk I drink is my own now.

Home made coconut cream

Butter does. Ghee won't.

I wouldn't touch tetrapaks either. Those just have been untested forms of packaging. The only coconut milk I drink is my own now.
    Would you mind sharing how you make it?

Quote Originally Posted by michellethompson View Post
    Would you mind sharing how you make it?
    Buy a coconut that weighs very heavily. Make sure there are no mold spots on the outside. Ideally the color of the skin will be a deep brown.

Take a sharp knife and hack at the 3 holes until you get at least one of them open. Deepen the hole with a chopstick (or other thin apparatus that will get you past the white flesh into the middle where all the juice is). Drain the coconut of all the water. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.

When all water has drained, place coconut in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Take out of oven, place in a plastic bag, and immediately smash on ground outside house. Allow pieces to cool, and the meat will easily be taken off the brown shell. Cut the white meat into smaller pieces and place in food processor with a bit of hot water. Blend until the pieces are as pulverized as you can get it.

Pour the meat/water into a strainer or cheesecloth over a bowl, squeezing very hard to get all the liquid out, and collecting the meat pieces in the strainer/cheesecloth. Blend again with some warm water to extract more milk.

You can use the pulverized coconut meat pieces as coconut flour. Refrigerate the milk if you plan on consuming plain; I think it tastes better cold.

As you can see, it's a long process, so I don't do it too often. It will be the most delicious milk you have ever tasted, though.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    As you can see, it's a long process, so I don't do it too often. It will be the most delicious milk you have ever tasted, though.
    I can't wait to try some! I am thinking I can get bulk coconut at my Dutch store.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast