Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with bulletproof coffee and what is it suppose to do? page 2

The Tall Tree is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Butter in coffee? That's a new one for me. I shall try it, simply for the taste, because as croll said, when I am hungry, I eat. There is a lot to be said for a big breakfast. I can smash a kefir and berry smoothie, AND a three egg omelette with cheese and mushrooms, and it keeps me rocking until early afternoon, although I might chew a bit of jerky or some nuts between. I still lose/maintain weight, and feel great.

I've heard of buttered tea (with yak butter) in Nepal and the southern Himalayas, but not with coffee.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't criticizing this or anything as I'm no coffee snob, I use instant Folgers or instant Starbucks via decaf when I want some joe, and I do strange stuff to my food all the time. I was just wondering if there was some added health benefit to putting butter/oil in coffee besides it tasting good or curbing hunger.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    I wasn't criticizing this or anything as I'm no coffee snob, I use instant Folgers or instant Starbucks via decaf when I want some joe, and I do strange stuff to my food all the time. I was just wondering if there was some added health benefit to putting butter/oil in coffee besides it tasting good or curbing hunger.
    try snooping around here : Blog The Bulletproof Executive

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    It's not oily. You're supposed to mix it in a blender. It ends up smooth and creamy like a latte.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    If you are into intermittent fasting, it is believed to help you realize the benefits of fasting, while consuming some fat to curb your hunger. Yes it is a modified fast, not a true fast, but it is a hack that helps, if you need/want it.

Introducing Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting: How to Lose Fat, Build Muscle, Stay Focused & Feel Great

I have a bullet blender of sorts. I put it in the bullet part with the blade, and just shake it by hand so I don't wake up the entire household.
    Last edited by gopintos; 09-16-2012 at 12:56 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I love my bulletproof coffee. Obviously you can "abuse" it and yes, it won't work for you if you just have it in combination with everything else, but for me it's a very good "breakfast" and keeps me going until 1-2pm. I use it with one tablespoon of coconut oil and just a little bit of butter (10-20g max), not the massive quantities some other people use.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    It's not oily. You're supposed to mix it in a blender. It ends up smooth and creamy like a latte.
    Did not know that! Too bad I saw your post after I drank my BP coffee. I went back to ghee (over coconut oil) this morning and I really do like it better. I paid $20 at Williams-Sonoma for a battery powered frother (BonJour Primo Latte) that still works like a charm 3 years later.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    I went back to ghee (over coconut oil)
    The idea behind BP coffee, rather than just butter coffee, is that with using MCT oil promotes ketogenisis by producing more ketones. It also raises mTOR 3 ways - IFing, exercise, BP coffee - according to BPcoffee dude.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    The idea behind BP coffee, rather than just butter coffee, is that with using MCT oil promotes ketogenisis by producing more ketones. It also raises mTOR 3 ways - IFing, exercise, BP coffee - according to BPcoffee dude.
    This what gets me though. How are staying fasted by fat in your coffee that is in upwards of 100 calories? Does this not break the fast? Why not just eat a banana or apple or carrots if you need to hold yourself over until a bigger meal? What's the difference?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    This what gets me though. How are staying fasted by fat in your coffee that is in upwards of 100 calories? Does this not break the fast? Why not just eat a banana or apple or carrots if you need to hold yourself over until a bigger meal? What's the difference?
    The THEORY is that pure fat, no carbs or protein, does not interrupt the ketosis. In fact it help promote ketone production. I'm not sure if I buy that one either.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast