Thread: Strip down sets page

preacher is offline Junior Member

Strip down sets

Shop Now
    Ok gang, not sure if this is what those in the weight workout know call these, my gym is very limited in barbell aka all we have is the smith machine and we aren't using that (not safe at all.) So I am doing 60lb free weight barbell (max weight we have available that I can hold in the right form) for squats. I do 45, minute pause then 30, min pause 20 ect. Time I am done with it, the last 10 are tough to pull off. Fall into the lift heavy things catagory? I do the same with rows, deadlifts bench press ect. Any words of wisdom on this would be great.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    It is high volume work...I think you would be better off doing body weight stuff like cc or pbf.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    If I only had 60 lbs with which to work my legs I'd probably put it on my back and do walking lunges, or maybe step ups.

I don't think I'd count what you're doing as lifting heavy. Even if I was doing body weight exercises I'd figure out a way to make them hard enough that I couldn't do the high reps you're talking about.

One good thing I like Smith Machine's for is Australian Pullups. I'd rather do those than BB Rows with 60 lbs.
    Last edited by dgreenwood; 09-15-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Switch to overhead squats. They are definitely harder and require less weight. Start with a broom stick to get the correct form and remember to go as deep as you can. You may need to increase your flexibility since many can't OH squat.

If you want to strength train you need to be moving heavy weights. 60lb won't do it. Use machines, start doing bodyweight exercises and work your way upto hand stand push ups etc or else start going to a decent gym.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    It is high volume work...I think you would be better off doing body weight stuff like cc or pbf.
    Doing that in addition to so the body weight stuff is covered. Like adding weight to what I am doing with body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Switch to overhead squats. They are definitely harder and require less weight. Start with a broom stick to get the correct form and remember to go as deep as you can. You may need to increase your flexibility since many can't OH squat.

If you want to strength train you need to be moving heavy weights. 60lb won't do it. Use machines, start doing bodyweight exercises and work your way upto hand stand push ups etc or else start going to a decent gym.
    Overhead squats no problem for me I do have 75 lb dumbells avail. AS for changing gyms, not and option here. Thanks for the insight.

There is always the reverse squat definately harder especially adding some weight to it, may try that for awhile.