I had a some questions about supplements

First off here is what i take every morning

Fish oil- One teaspoon
    Multivitamin- Generic Brand- One Pill
    Probiotic- One pill

Maca powder- One Teaspoon
    Calcium Powder- One Teaspoon
    Vitamin B Complex- 25 droplets

What else would you recommend to take for optimum health and life longevity?

I have noticed a huge difference between the pills and liquid form, liquid tend to be MUCH better, is their any brands you would recommend or liquid versions that you have found to be awesome.

Thanks!

Nick

hmm thanks for starting this Nick. I have been thinking about supplements recently especially since I am VLC and as much as I try, I know there might be some nutrients I won't be getting much of consistently.

Anywho I take Whey, multivitamin, Vitamin D and Magnesium at the moment.

I am interested in your pill vs liquid form theory as my magnesium is in pill form but was advised that liquid might be better overall for faster uptake.

I already drink whey protein as it helps with my lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    hmm thanks for starting this Nick. I have been thinking about supplements recently especially since I am VLC and as much as I try, I know there might be some nutrients I won't be getting much of consistently.

Anywho I take Whey, multivitamin, Vitamin D and Magnesium at the moment.

I am interested in your pill vs liquid form theory as my magnesium is in pill form but was advised that liquid might be better overall for faster uptake.

I already drink whey protein as it helps with my lifts.
    I have noticed huge difference in taking pills vs. liquids

Examples

Fish Oil pills- Noticed no difference

Fish Oil- 1 tsp- Clearer thinking, calmer & steady state of mind

B-Vitamin Pill- No difference

B-Vitamin Droplers- Increased energy level all day

Maybe it is just my body but who knows

Paleobird Guest
    I'm VLC and I don't take any supps at all. If you include some liver and bone marrow/bone broth, you're really not missing anything. Also VLC doesn't mean never eating another veggie again. Spinach and kale are multivitamins.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm VLC and I don't take any supps at all. If you include some liver and bone marrow/bone broth, you're really not missing anything. Also VLC doesn't mean never eating another veggie again. Spinach and kale are multivitamins.
    Spinach and especially kale are also rich sources of oxalic acid that bind various nutrients like calcium and magnesium blocking their absorption. Therefore I would not recommend making these a major part of the diet.

shes right, you really don't need anything if your diet is right. although im interested in evening primrose oil
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Ya I know.....just don't have the time to shop and/or cook a lot of things right now....so my diet has been repetitive and I never said anything about not eating veggies.

At any rate, be it my ever inquisitive or profound inability to accept anything anyone says at face value without MY personal research, I will continue to supplement as it personally helps me mentally at least as I go VLC.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    Ya I know.....just don't have the time to shop and/or cook a lot of things right now....so my diet has been repetitive and I never said anything about not eating veggies.

At any rate, be it my ever inquisitive or profound inability to accept anything anyone says at face value without MY personal research, I will continue to supplement as it personally helps me mentally at least as I go VLC.
    I didn't say you shouldn't supplement, just that I didn't feel the need. The living in fear of veggies thing is just an oft repeated but untrue criticism of VLC that I hoped you weren't buying into. Good to know you're not.

You have a very good point that if you are not getting much variety in your eating, VLC or otherwise, then you might come up short somewhere nutritionally.

Depends what your gaols or needs are.

I think the staple big 3 for anyone are a multivitamin, fish oil, probiotics.

But some other useful supps would be magnesism oil, digestive enzymes, protein powder, phosphatidyl serine (for stress), Melatonin (for sleep), 5-HTP (for the blues), and creatine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Depends what your gaols or needs are.

I think the staple big 3 for anyone are a multivitamin, fish oil, probiotics.

But some other useful supps would be magnesism oil, digestive enzymes, protein powder, phosphatidyl serine (for stress), Melatonin (for sleep), 5-HTP (for the blues), and creatine.
    People should be aware of the potential side effects of a few of those supplements.

The use of digestive enzymes shuts down the body's own production of the enzymes being substituted for the body's own production. Some enzymes, including amylase, also increase blood sugar levels and calories by breaking down in this case starches in to sugar. But I really dislike cellulase and hemicellulase since they not only increase blood sugar and calories, but they also digest the primary foods for our beneficial flora starving them. I prefer to stimulate the body's own production of enzymes with things like bitters.

The average melatonin is 3mg, which is hundreds of thousands times higher than what the body normally produces on its own. Therefore, there is once again the risk of shutting down the body's own ability to produce melatonin. And the long term effects of such massive levels in the body is unknown.

5-HTP can help in some cases of depression since it is a precursor for serotonin. But not all cases of depression are a result of low serotonin, and elevating serotonin levels higher when already normal can lead to mental disturbances, loss of appetite, erectile dysfunction in men and loss of libido in both men and women. Therefore, it is best that people stick to the lowest dose possible starting out to see if they are likely to respond to elevated serotonin while reducing the risk of side effects.

And finally, don't go overboard on creatine. Creatine is high in phosphorus, which can cause pseudohyperparathyroidism if taken in excess leading to bone loss.