Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bacon and Salt page 2

The Tall Tree is offline Member
    I find that I need a lot more salt when I am exercising strenuously, and use this as a pretty good gauge for my intake. When I worked as a surveyor doing a lot of hiking in arid country, I would get terrible leg cramps of a night if I did not take salt tablets or even just a glass of salty water.
    You need more salt to help replenish your fluids, the more you lose, I think.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    It's the sodium erythrobate that would be my first trigger. Can cause headaches, nausea, ruptured red blood cells, etc. -- not sure in what amounts, but I wouldn't want something like that in any amount. I'd look at sodium phosphates too. Spice is scary. If it's celery salt (the most common in bacon), it's like a heavy dose of a sort of natural MSG. I finally gave up on bacon as of yesterday. To get it without sugar and spice, it's like 16.95 a pound! Phosphates are generally not good. I seem to recall reading somewhere that sodium phosphate can be used as a laxative. Hmm! Might look for some different bacon. Just a thought. There are a few places in the U.S. were you can order healthy bacon online. Very expensive though. Whole Foods' 365 bacon doesn't have crazy chemicals, but it does have sugar. It's a dilemma! Good luck. Oh, I don't think heating gets rid of salt. Washing it might get rid of some.

Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Hey guys,

I ordered 2 kinds of bacon from a local farmer where I live. It's all natural as in they don't give hormones to their pigs. So the packaging says that there are no nitrates added. Here are the ingredients:
    Natural pork, water, salt, Sodium phosphates, sugar, sodium erythrobate, sodium bicarbonate and spice. This is on the peameal bacon. This is one is leaner but there's 4077 mg per 40 g. Isn't this a lot? Are these ingredients not paleo?

The sliced bacon have similar ingredients maybe except for the sugar. It also has a lot of sodium like 5000..? something for 64 g?

Is this normal amount of salt in bacon. eek? I don't know if I wanna be eating this? I can't return it now. Would washing it get rid of some of the salt? Does the salt evaporate once you cook it ? I already salt my food so I don't think this is healthy.

Thoughts?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Find or ask for "pork belly".

You can slice it and cook it just like bacon... but it has no salt or smoke.

I actually really like it. Then you can add salt to your own taste.
    It has a different taste because it doesn't hit you in the face with salt.
    It's subtle.

Oh, and it's usually much cheaper because it's had nothing at all done to it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Eating Paleo or Primal no matter how much salt you add it is almost guaranteed to be less than SAD.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

The Tall Tree is offline Member
    Cure your own bacon, folks. It's easy, as I've discovered recently with some great advice from people on this site.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    The salt doesn't disappear from cooked food - unless it's boiled, then the contents are diluted.
    If that's true, then the fat that is left behind after cooking the bacon would not be salty tasting, but it is salty.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Sodium itself isn't evil. It never will be.

The issue is the sodium/potassium balance. You should be getting three times as much potassium a day as you are sodium to keep the ratio solid.

That being said, can you get 12,000-15,000 mgs of potassium in a day?

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks guys, I don't think I will be ordering this kind of bacon after I finish them all. I might just boil them then cook it somehow. I use to do this when I used to eat conventional sausage to get the salt out. I really don't like any food that is too salty. Yeah I mean I get potassium but not enough to balance out the salt.

The online store did not post the nutrition and since it was hormone free etc. I didn't realize it would have so much salt.. This sucks now I'm stuck with these bacon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12