Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever tried balut? page 2

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh it has texture, play a little game called find the beak.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Aww okay okay I can see how balut would be weird to probably most people in the western world!! it really isn't weird though I personally do not think it is much weirder than eating innards(which is highly recommended and something I probably should do more of!) To those who are brave enough to eat it: I highly recommend trying it, if you can find it! I found mine at an Asian grocery store.

sbhikes: I do not think that it has a crunchy texture and I have never run across any crunchy texture. If you wanted to, you could literally take the yolk and the fetus apart once you boil the egg and crack it. But the Asians say to just eat it whole(I'm not Asian myself but I read this online)

I was hoping more people on this forum would be interested in trying something totally new and weird! If you decide to try it, I recommend it

What Wanderlust says is true about the beak. I guess that would be the only texture I have ever discovered. Not enough to make a difference in it for me though. I don't mind a beak or two, it reminds me it's natural and unprocessed!

However... On a side note, I will admit that one thing that is 100% primal that I absolutely can't stand is grass fed beef liver. I love chicken liver, duck liver, and I've even tried quail liver which I love. But beef liver... I can't stomach it. Maybe I didn't cook it correctly?

The Tall Tree is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Oh it has texture, play a little game called find the beak.
    Yep, that just put it on my 'never' list, too. You are braver than me, and I've eaten some HORRIBLE shit.

Yep, that just put it on my 'never' list, too. You are braver than me, and I've eaten some HORRIBLE shit.
    Haha! It's good to try new things though! Maybe I'm just a strange person who likes eating abnormal things. I've actually been told that before!

The Tall Tree is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    Haha! It's good to try new things though! Maybe I'm just a strange person who likes eating abnormal things. I've actually been told that before!
    True, but only to a point, for me. Define 'abnormal'... I've eaten turtle and crocodile eggs, dugong, crocodile and turtle meat, flying fox, several types of snakes and lizards, lots of insects and arachnids, the 'milk-gut' from a bustard etc etc... but a fetal bird with all the trimmings (ie: beak and down) would have to be a survival food, not a treat.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Sounds good! Reminds me of a McDonalds McNugget I once had.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Ok... never eaten Balut... but...

Since I grew up on a farm there was a time I cracked a partially developed chicken egg into a skillet in front of my brother... and there were dares and words of "chicken"... and I didn't throw the little sucker out. I fried and ate it.

It was considerably less developed than a Balut though... no feathers yet... just a shiny little chick lump of extra stuff about equal to the regular yolk in size.
    I gulped it, it grossed my brother out sufficiently. I don't remember any particular taste.

I suppose in the right circumstance I could have a go at Balut.
    If I was in the Philippines I would definitely do it.
    But I doubt my husband would watch.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I had it once, when I was on vacation there was a street stand which sold it. Let's say it was better than liver
    Billie trips balls

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I just... don't think I'd be able to do it. I think I would be physically sick unfortunately . I mean, if I think too much about eggs as it is I struggle (I really DON'T think about what they are when I eat them!!)... but that would be a little too... real for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast