Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Before & Almost After Pics - 135lbs. Gone! page 2

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Mmmmmrowwww!!!
    Awesome work, Greg.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Right on, you are one good lookin' primal man!

DebFM is offline Senior Member
    Fantastic job! Congrats!!!

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Woo hoo! That is incredible.
    Is the sexy shirtless picture next?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    holy freakin crap you look like a new person!!! congrats you must feel so good about yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and comments and thanks ladies for the fine compliments! You've all made my day!

To answer some of your questions:

Did you have much support at home when you decided to go low-carb, or did you have to go it alone?

I went at it alone. I live alone, go to the gym alone, go hiking alone etc... I'm not really a hermit or anything - it just works out that I'm single and don't have a gym or hiking partner either. I can say that when I went to visit my parents, when I first started low carbing, and it was really noticeable that I was losing a lot of weight - my mother kept insisting that I was starving myself to death. She couldn't understand the concept that fat doesn't make us fat; sugar and starch makes us fat. She still doesn't and I'm tired of trying to explain it.

What made you go for PB instead of your previous VLC method? Have you noticed any difference in your energy or body composition in the short time you've been primal?

I like the concept of PB as a lifestyle choice; not just a diet. Like I mentioned in my first post, PB is more than just what we eat... my lifting has gone from splits, pyramids & high rep work to low rep, heavy weight core exercises. The 5X5 program is excellent and will give you serious gains. Also, I was doing way too much cardio. I switched to a low intensity (I keep my heart rate around the 120bpm mark) for most of the hour or so I'm doing it - doesn't matter if I'm walking, riding the bike or whatever else - and knock out 8-10 full blown 30 second sprints in there. In my opinion, this turns your body into a fat burning machine rather than the stressed out and aching body that long and intense cardio sessions brought me.

Again, it's only two weeks since I've switched routines but my energy level has improved greatly and so has my sleep. I will update as I progress... In fact, I plan on starting a journal here as well.

I imagine people who know you have been blown away by the change. Any amusing stories? I got a compliment myself today when I came back from my run and passed a coworker I hadn't seen in a little while: "Damn, you working-out-people are craaaazy!"

Nothing too amusing to report on this one. My co-workers see me constantly so they were used to my "bizarre" way of eating that was "sure to kill me" and my family... well, they too, think I'm nuts. It's cool running into an old friend that I haven't seen in a couple of years though - their jaws usually hit the floor when they see me. It's a great feeling!

34" waist @ 225. You sir are a beast. In a good way that is.

Well, I'm just shy of 6' tall and my weight is distributed fairly evenly throughout my body. When I was super fat, I was super fat all over... I didn't have the typical male beer belly type of fatness. In my opinion, I look heavier in those pictures then I do in person - but many thanks for the compliment. It sure feels good to be called a beast for the right reason :-)
    Last edited by Greg; 04-02-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Wow... absolutely FANTASTIC! You should be extremely proud of yourself!

Very nice.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the background, Greg. That is truly awesome that you did this on your own -- no spouse or significant other, not even a roommate. I wonder, how did you decide to make this change? Did you just suddenly snap one day, or was it a more gradual transition? Did you have any false starts?

Worried that you're starving yourself to death, haha! I've had that comment a couple of times. Once some people have a mental image of you as overweight, it's like they can't imagine you could actually be healthy any other way. Or that you must be compromising your health in order to be thin -- perhaps an eating disorder. So silly! Can't they see all the muscle, all the energy? Given enough time, I expect they'll forget they even said those things. And I expect your example is already having a subtle, positive effect on the eating and lifestyle habits of those who know you.

It's great to have you on the forums and I'm really excited to see where you go from here!

lcme is offline Senior Member
    You're actually a lot bigger in the after picture. Nothing that a little photo reformatting wont fix. hehe

Seriously though, awesome transformation. You look so much healthier and your face alone de-aged by 20 years! Kudos to you and keep it up!!

Greg is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thank you, Diana

Timothy: My pleasure!

To answer your questions - Yes, in short, I just decided that enough was enough and I was tired of being a fat lazy slob. In fact, I started on a Tuesday night - I stopped the excuses and dropped the "I'll start in the morning or I'll start fresh next Monday" crap. I just went for it and haven't looked back. I also met a new Dr., who has became a good friend of mine - he was the one who tuned me in to the low carb lifestyle. Aside from being a family physician and low carb advocate, he's also a biochemist. He's the real deal and simply brilliant!

Well, it's clear at this point that I'm not starving myself to death lol. The comments on that have since stopped. However, explaining the way I eat in any other way aside from simply saying "I dropped the sugars and starches" is pointless. Getting into the biochemical facts behind this correct way of eating with people turns into a nightmare. Especially if the person happens to be a nutritionist, dietician or any other health care professional who adheres to the propaganda endorsed by America's health organizations.

Icme: Not only has my face de-aged by 20 years - more importantly, I probably added at least 20 more healthy years to my life!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast