Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ovarian Cyst and Diet page 4

jaye is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    If you body is not focusing on digestion, it can tend to other matters. Clean house if you will. It is called autophagy. Your body will "eat" dead cells, other objects like cysts, tumors, etc. It consumes and recycles damaged material. This has many benefits, one being Life Extension and decreasing many of the diseases that comes with aging.

Betorq shared this on another thread:
    BCC - Eat, Fast, Live longer documentary - BBC Two - Horizon, 2012-2013, Eat, Fast and Live Longer
    Thanks gopintos!

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    I cured my PCOS by taking iodine. There is lots of research on how iodine deficiency can cause PCOS. I also IF but that is more recent I started taking iodine a few years back and haven't had any cysts since. The fasting started only a few months ago so I am pretty sure it was the iodine addition that helped me most. I take lugols only because it is the most convenient way for me since I hate sea food and sea weed. I also have hyperthyroid so I take quite a bit of the iodine to keep that under wraps. You might try taking in more sea food or sea weed if you like it.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I did just add in more seaweed to my diet in the past 2 months...had taken an iodine sup. before but things I've read have scared me away from those. Maybe I will revisit---thanks!

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Oh believe me I have been reading all of the posts on both of the Iodine threads. I was scared off a bit too but knew intuitively that I need iodine no matter what after seeing such huge improvements when I had started supplementing a few years back. I read all of James posts, Paleobirds, and Grizz's. After reading all the good and the bad stuff on iodine I decided to expirement. I believe there was some really good info from all sides so I went from my (then) 50mg per day dose (for probably a year) down to 25 mg then 12mg and then down to 3 mg per day. After going below 25 mg I very quickly felt the effects of going too low in both my thyroid and my menstral cycle but thought maybe to let it run its coarse for a while. As my cycle started going back to the PCOS days and was very light (almost non-existent)with painful cramping and spotting mid-month(3 cycles now). My goiter started getting larger again so I have been slowly going back up and am currently sitting back at 12.5 mg per day. I am still feeling symptoms but am hoping they will go in time. I would like to stay at 12.5 mg per day but will go up to 25mg if necessary. As that was when I noticed the symptoms coming back when I dropped below 25mg. No cysts as far as I can tell right now but I have an appt tomorrow to make sure. I believe what James was posting on how too much iodine is just excreted so we don't need to over do it...........But I also believe after my n=1 that I am deficient and that is one of the things that have caused both my PCOS and my thyroid issues. I will probably stay at 12.5 mg for at least 6 months or so then see what happens at that point.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I started back on some Iodoral the last two days after this post. I had taken it previously and was cyst free---although didnt connect those dots. Here's to hoping it is another key to the puzzle. One bonus is that I didnt wake up hungry today for a change (and ate dinner early --my last meal-- at 5:30 last night!) Maybe I CAN indeed fast if my iodine is in check.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I started back on some Iodoral the last two days after this post. I had taken it previously and was cyst free---although didnt connect those dots. Here's to hoping it is another key to the puzzle. One bonus is that I didnt wake up hungry today for a change (and ate dinner early --my last meal-- at 5:30 last night!) Maybe I CAN indeed fast if my iodine is in check.
    Iodine is vital to the reproductive organs, especially for women, so making sure you get enough (of course, how much is enough is still a topic of hot debate) is important.

The other part of PCOS is that it is believed to be strongly linked to insulin resistance. Yes, "skinny" people can have it. I was never formally diagnosed but I had all the classic symptoms since puberty, and I only weighed 115-120 lbs. The theory is that insulin resistance leads to high insulin levels in the blood which leads to high testosterone levels, which leads to PCOS. If you improve your insulin sensitivity, it should help resolve your symptoms - and ketosis and fasting (and possibly even occasional carb cycling) can help with that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234