Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ovarian Cyst and Diet page 2

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Shop Now
    I dont fast but do feel better without food in my stomach when I have one! I had plenty for dinner tonight that I'll try to hhold off on breakfast tomorrow---that would also curb my need for morning eggs! How often would I do a 24 hour fast? This is also hard to do with kids, because I dont want them to see me NOT eating at dinnertime (we always have a familiy sit down meal!)

I do have DMSO in my cabinet...my deceased gram used to swear by it. I used it once for a cold sore and it just left a bad taste in my mout...need to look into emu oil! Ummm...how do they harvest oil from an emu?

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I dont fast but do feel better without food in my stomach when I have one! I had plenty for dinner tonight that I'll try to hhold off on breakfast tomorrow---that would also curb my need for morning eggs! How often would I do a 24 hour fast? This is also hard to do with kids, because I dont want them to see me NOT eating at dinnertime (we always have a famiiy sit down meal!)
    Tell 'em mommy is drinking her dinner (have a coffee mug with water in it...I dunno what to tell ya). Fasting will help. Or (light bulb!) you could eat dinner w/ the family, but skip breakfast & lunch that'd be 24 hrs! Once you get acclimated to doing that, incrementally increase the fasting times to 36 then 48 hrs over time. There's lots of fasting threads & lots of experienced ladies here on MDA who can hold your hand & walk with you through this process.
    I do have DMSO in my cabinet...my deceased gram used to swear by it. I used it once for a cold sore and it just left a bad taste in my mout...need to look into emu oil! Ummm...how do they harvest oil from an emu?
    Harvested from its hump. The meat is quite tasty I hear & the eggs are GINORMOUS! One could feed your entire family breakfast, jaja...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    you could eat dinner w/ the family, but skip breakfast & lunch that'd be 24 hrs!
    That is what I would do.

I am glad my children are grown, for the most part, because I can remember my parents telling me it's time for breakfast lunch & dinner, whether we were hungry or not, and that is the way I raised my children, rather than letting them eat when hungry. And I know from a scheduling standpoint, you really just have to do that. So I am not sure how others explain to their kids that they are not hungry so they are not eating. My son is 18 and for the last few years, he eats when hungry, usually once or twice a day, usually every 12 hours.

But that is a whole 'nutter subject

Anyways, back to fasting. Dinner to dinner is what I do when I do a 24. I feel like I do better going to bed full. When I was dieting CW-way, I went to bed hungry, woke up during the night hungry, got up hungry in the morning.... I hated that feeling, so this works the best for me.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

when you 24 hour fast do you tend to limit any exercise?

yes---could skip B & L! Will try!

Columbia is offline Junior Member
    Over the course of a couple years I had 6 cysts, 2 of which required removal. All were extremely painful, I'm sure you know! Fasting seems to be the key for me. Before primal I tried the master cleanse a few times, which is what introduced me to fasting. For whatever reason, I haven't had any cysts for over 6 years now. Sometimes i feel a little tender, but I've been able to manage them with cleaning up my diet and fasting before they turn into a problem. Good luck!

Betorq is offline Senior Member

yes---could skip B & L! Will try!
    Many people report weight training is fine or even improved once you become (more or fully) fat adapted. Same people say that sustained aerobic (oxygen & glycogen burning) exercises suffer. I've noticed that my laps in the pool during a fast, I'm weaker/tired faster but I push thru it anyways. I"m not sure with just 24 hours though. And metabolically, everyone is different. So my experiences are not going to be yours...

Oh, chat w/ PaleoBird on this subject. She recommends getting into ketosis or approaching it at the minimum, before the fast itself. It makes the fast easier & more effective, less of a struggle. I'm fasting now, I do 48 hours every week now. I did have low protein, low carb fatty meals for (huge) breakfast & (small) lunch today, was not hungry at all for dinner, seems easy(ier) so far... Will eat again lunch time Tuesday.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

I dont limit anything when I do a 24. It is just so normal now so it doesnt alter anything. In the email over the weekend from Eat Stop Eat, he was discussing these two brothers, one was NCAA I think, and one was NFL and he even plays football while fasted.

She recommends getting into ketosis or approaching it at the minimum, before the fast itself. It makes the fast easier & more effective, less of a struggle.
    Totally agree. I think you just reach all the benefits of fasting faster, if you are already in ketosis or close. I try not to have carbs the night before, or many, since they are not as filling for me.

Some of the info Betorq presented in another thread about a 10 day fast, suggests that the first one - 3 days of fasting, you are transitioning and switching over to being a fat burner, so I am thinking that if you are in ketosis ahead of time, you get a jump on it and can shave off a few days. Well I try to eat low carb anyways, not just for fasting, but that is what made me transition into intermittent fasting before I even knew what it was. So I think by being low carb at the beginning, you just really maximize a 24 hours fast. I do Fast-5 most Daily, with some 24s thrown in there. So I think my Fast 5s are maximized also. Been experimenting with some 48s, in one now.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Tell 'em mommy is drinking her dinner (have a coffee mug with water in it...I dunno what to tell ya). Fasting will help. Or (light bulb!) you could eat dinner w/ the family, but skip breakfast & lunch that'd be 24 hrs! Once you get acclimated to doing that, incrementally increase the fasting times to 36 then 48 hrs over time. There's lots of fasting threads & lots of experienced ladies here on MDA who can hold your hand & walk with you through this process.
    Harvested from its hump. The meat is quite tasty I hear & the eggs are GINORMOUS! One could feed your entire family breakfast, jaja...
    Regarding emu oil, to you consume it or apply topically or both?

I only made it until about 11am today...but that was a start at 16 hours! I did also do a 3 1/2 mile walk this am. Oh...I did have a cup of tea with coconut oil in it---allowed or no?

I am low carb/high fat most days unless I eat a plethora of veggies in some dish!

PrimalCon New York
    I only made it until about 11am today...but that was a start at 16 hours! I did also do a 3 1/2 mile walk this am. Oh...I did have a cup of tea with coconut oil in it---allowed or no?

I am low carb/high fat most days unless I eat a plethora of veggies in some dish!
    WTG!! That is how it starts I think if you do more than your body is ready for, that is just another unnecessary stress that you do not need. Good job!

CO is a good thing And so is a plethora of veggies.

I am glad you posted when you did, and I took a big interest in it because I just found out Saturday night that my step-daughter has had something for a couple of months, in her breast, and it is now causing her pain. I also have a family history of breast cancer, so I have a great interest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast