Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: breastfeeding and fertility page 2

girlhk is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I will put more effort into this. My default strategy in dealing with her is nursing her. It solves 99% of all issues. So have to think of new ways. I found it easy to distract her during the day, and she can easily go 4 hours without nursing or even noticing that I'm gone.

Nights are different though. So far, I've not been able to soothe her any other way except by nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    It is possible to have fertility while breastfeeding (and no menstruation), and fertility charting can help you determine whether that is the case.

But, probably your best option is to contain breastfeeding. This isn't weaning, it's simply containing it to specific times throughout the day or what have you. My son was reliant on breastfeeding for primary nutrition until 14 months (so about the same age as your kiddo), and then naturally started eating more solids then. and the breastfeeding cut back to a few times day/night (perhaps a lot more than I remember, but less than when he was breast feeding full time). He didn't wean (though, honestly, I didn't wean him), until he was 3.

So, see how you feel about it, but your option might be to simple cut back the number of feeds to only a few during the day and then at night. Offer foods if she seems hungry, and then follow a meal with breastmilk if she wants it. She may, she may not.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I have a friend who has girls almost exactly 1 yr apart...
    She was just a bit shocked!
    She hadn't had a period at all.

Yep.
    She got pregnant 3 months post while breastfeeding a newborn around the clock with no supplements and no breaks.
    It happens.

She breast fed through the pregnancy, gave birth to a healthy baby, and continued to co-nurse.
    It was hard on her... real WORK.
    But she did it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    I was totally breast feeding my son and was pregnant again in three months...Irish twins i think it's called. Your friend is super woman!! I'm glad she was able to do it. I had a different ending.

Quote Originally Posted by meeme View Post
    I was totally breast feeding my son and was pregnant again in three months...Irish twins i think it's called. Your friend is super woman!! I'm glad she was able to do it. I had a different ending.
    Yes, it was VERY hard on her physically... they basically ATE her.
    Maybe that's terrible to say... but that's kind of how it worked.
    She had to just eat and eat and eat... and they TOOK and TOOK.
    It wasn't an easy pregnancy.

Doctors very strict orders... DO NOT get pregnant again for AT LEAST 3 years!
    She took better precautions after the birth of #2.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Lack of fertility wasn't my problem...I had a three month old baby and an IUD that totally failed. Serious problems but that IUD was taken off the market.

I know how that works and your poor friend....pregnancy and nursing take a lot out of you and I agree with the 3 year rule. Wow! How is she doing?

All of them are fabulous!
    It was a rough, very tired, couple of years... but after that it got easier.

I think they might even try for a boy soon.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Bron is offline Senior Member
    My four are all about 2.5 years between one and the next. I love this age difference. My eldest is very good with kids because of it It is far more common for women to menstruate several times before fertility returns, though as shown here (and I'm the same), it is possible for ovulation to occur, then menstruation if conception hasn't happened. (1 period April 98, fell pregnant, one period June 00, fell pregnant, not another one till two babies later and that second one was 21m old in 2008). I only ovulated once mine started sleeping through.

Oh I fibbed, forgot about the period I had in 2005 cos DH was away on training, else I would have fallen pregnant that month and not two months later lol
    Last edited by Bron; 09-16-2012 at 01:10 AM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yeah, mine was good and steady even with the night-time feeding-as-parenting process. it's a good one and a definite fix-all.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    oh and sometimes allergic children feed more often than other children. it may be a natural protection thing happening?

girlhk is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    oh and sometimes allergic children feed more often than other children. it may be a natural protection thing happening?
    My dd isn't allergic to anything as far as I can tell. She does like the comfort of nursing though! Lately, she's discovered she can access them on her own, and wants to whenever she sees me, lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast