Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defining "soreness" page

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

Defining "soreness"

Primal Fuel
    How does one tell the difference between the typical muscle soreness from either a) working a new muscle group that you don't usually work or b) working really effing hard and soreness caused by an actual injury or stress on the skeletal system?
    This probably sounds like a n00b question, and it might be, to an extent -- but curious if anyone has any advice?
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Baba is offline Member
    Typical DOMS is always in the muscle, pain in joints/tendons is never good.
    That said, you can also injure your muscles, in which case the pain usually comes earlier (like during or right after your effort) and doesn't disappear in the usual time.
    For me DOMS usually appear after 24 hours, peak at 48 and I can train again on the third day.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I have torn my hamstring, groin, and messed up my chest and shoulder, when you are injured you will know it. I have been really sore from squats, and then squated again and the "soreness" goes away because blood is going back into the muscle, but I've also strained my hip flexors and my groin and I could barley squat a bar. You know...listen to your body, if you cringe then somethings not right.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    When it doesn't go away in a few days it's the bad kind.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    For me muscle soreness is very similar to being stiff like I can't move that particular area of my body as well as I normally would be. I would say that I feel like I have to stretch it out.

Injury to me is a throbbing pain. If you are very aware of your body, you just know that the pain you are feeling is not from muscle soreness. I'm just fortunate enough that I have never had to go through this ever.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    For me typical muscle soreness gets better with moving around and worse if I am sedentary and then try to move around. Depending on how heavy the excercise is the soreness can be somewhat mild or hurt badly enough it makes me groan; however, it starts to ease up after about 48 hours after the exercise. If you injure something you will know it. It doesn't go away after a day or two.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    I have torn my hamstring, groin, and messed up my chest and shoulder, when you are injured you will know it. I have been really sore from squats, and then squated again and the "soreness" goes away because blood is going back into the muscle, but I've also strained my hip flexors and my groin and I could barley squat a bar. You know...listen to your body, if you cringe then somethings not right.
    Thanks -- for my quads, chest, and arms, it's usually really easy to tell the difference. I haven't worked my lower back as much as I should this summer, so I started doing more deadlifts and cleans to fix this problem -- I was probably just a little overly worried since I sort of injured it in 2010 and that took forever (read: like a month, which seems like forever) to recover from. Anyway, I don't feel that sore today so I think I'm not injured -- and hopefully as my back gets stronger I'll be less likely to injure it doing other things
    Last edited by AmyMac703; 09-16-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba View Post
    Typical DOMS is always in the muscle, pain in joints/tendons is never good.
    That said, you can also injure your muscles, in which case the pain usually comes earlier (like during or right after your effort) and doesn't disappear in the usual time.
    For me DOMS usually appear after 24 hours, peak at 48 and I can train again on the third day.
    Not always entirely accurate--I've also had post-exercise fatigue-type soreness in a ligament that I was rehabilitating, and my physio said that you can get some soreness in that case which is okay in the same way as DOMS is okay (a sign that you have put stress on it in a way that will create a positive response following recovery time). But generally, yes, joint pain isn't good.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    I have torn my hamstring, groin, and messed up my chest and shoulder, when you are injured you will know it.
    Yeah I know when I'm hurt, I've never doubted an injury vs soreness. But then again I've been sore and injured a lot.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Yeah I know when I'm hurt, I've never doubted an injury vs soreness. But then again I've been sore and injured a lot.
    Heh. Yeah.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast