Thread: Tostones-- are they primal? page

miniGrokette is offline Member

Tostones-- are they primal?

Shop Now
    I just went out to eat with some friends and wanted desperately to order tostones on the side of my steak with chimichurri (oh my gosh, I love chimichurri). Anyway, I haven't eaten them since going primal and didn't know if I could/should. Are they primal? If they are I think I'm going to have to make them a regular part of my diet. So so so good.
    Last edited by miniGrokette; 02-21-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Velocity J is offline Member
    I'd like to know what others think about this too. Plantains would probably be considered primal, they're similar to bananas but with maybe slightly less sugar. If you're ordering them at a restaurant it might make a difference what oil they're being cooked in.

I fell in love with these when I went to Puerto Rico--I'll take them over french fries any day. Have you tried cooking them at home?
    Last edited by Velocity J; 09-16-2012 at 09:05 PM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Depends on your tolerance for carbohydrate intake (Plantains are very, very starchy) and the oil they're fried in.

I use them for carb re-feeds when I make them at home, fried in lard/tallow/palm/refined coconut oil.

I also eat them at a Cuban restaurant on occasion, but I definitely consider it an invocation of the 80/20 rule when I do.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Definitely a 20 in the 80/20.

Don't they often add sugar? Also, in a lot of restaurants I bet they fry it in some horrid vegetable oil.

miniGrokette is offline Member
    Oh, this makes me sad! I haven't tried cooking them at home, but I intend to. I wouldn't add sugar or cook in vegetable oil, obviously. I really wanted them to be part of my 80%. They are just so delicious.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I make maduros (fried sweet plantains) at home....
    Made with black ripe plantains.
    I brush the chunks with coconut oil, and baked in the oven until brown (instead of frying, because it's easier for me/less messy).
    I LOVEloveLOVE maduros!!!
    And that way they are totally primal.

Tostones are totally makeable at home too.
    You just have to use a less ripe plantain and twice cook them by frying on the stove top.
    Cook once, cool a bit, flatten, then fry again to crisp it.
    Google is your friend for recipes...
    You'll have you some 100% primal tostones in no time.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Plantain slices fried in a lot of butter with cinnamon and whipped cream
    Billie trips balls

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    I make tostones in my cast iron skillet with bacon grease (no hormones, uncured, etc bacon).

They... Are... Awesome.

I actually looked up the nutrition info today, and it says that 1 cup is 63 g of carbs. I eat 1/2 a plantain (the other half I would have to pry out of my wife's cold, dead hands). So I figure that's somewhere in the range of 25-30 g of carbohydrate. Well within the ~100 g per day given the rest of my diet.

So, as far as I'm concerned, totally primal.
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best