Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to put a muzzle on free speech? page

Nady is offline Senior Member

Is it time to put a muzzle on free speech?

Shop Now
    It's always been the backbone of our freedoms, but I doubt the founding fathers ever imagined anyone's opinions would move beyond our shores. I think the original idea was to give the people of the USA the right to criticize our government without fearing prosecution. How does that gives someone the right to spew their hatred of other people/countries over the WWW via youtube?

We aren't one small nation in a big world anymore. Should there be consequences for those that hide behind our rights and use their words to cause death and distruction abroad? If this happened on our shores, I think these people would be charged with hate crimes.

Can we discuss? I'd like to understand better, because right now, I'm just sick.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Speech should remain free. It's up to the individual to weigh their actions and the consequences of those actions.

No amount of government intervention will change that (and frankly, your rights should never be given away to such a colossally inept organization as a government).
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Quote Originally Posted by keithpowers View Post
    Speech should remain free. It's up to the individual to weigh their actions and the consequences of those actions.

No amount of government intervention will change that (and frankly, your rights should never be given away to such a colossally inept organization as a government).
    I don't disagree with you~ but what consequences for the maker/poster of that video? Looks to me he got what he wanted at the expense of innocent people. And now America looks bad ~ like we're letting him get away with it so we're all haters too.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    What video are you talking about? Link?

And no, speech being too free is not one of the world's problems. It is not your business nor anyone else's to be telling me what I can or cannot say, unless I am defaming, threatening or directly endangering someone by speaking.

There is no end to what someone, somewhere will find offensive. If we start restricting speech based on offense we will very quickly end up in a situation where no one can freely say much of anything. Oh yeah, also, no one has a right not to be offended. You do have a right not to listen to people who are saying offensive things, but you don't get to make them stop saying them.

I can't see myself ever bending on that score.

But I would like to know what video you're talking about, because I am all for restricting speech that calls for violence against groups or individuals.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's not about the video. The video is a lame excuse. Does anyone really think it's a coincidence that it happened on 9/11?

And for free speech, there is no such right to not be offended. In the same vein, we are all responsible for our actions, and so really the only ones responsible for the rioters' actions are the rioters.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/wo...pagewanted=all

Yeah, it's actually an interesting question. Is it possible to teach the world that a film made by someone in our country doesn't represent the entire country's beliefs? Can you make people in other nations who don't have the freedom of speech understand what it means? Should what is said in the US stay in the US? Should the guy who made the film be punished and what would his crime be? How do we best resolve this? It should be interesting to see what happens. I hope it resolves peacefully.

I think it's funny because I saw someone on TV saying their reaction is the same as what ours might be if they showed irreverent images of Jesus. I'm thinking, aren't there T-shirts with Jesus taking a shit or other equally irreverent things? If there were, I might laugh or think you were a dickwad for wearing something like that, but I certainly wouldn't storm an embassy and kill anybody.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, imagine if the Catholics rioted because of The Da Vinci Code.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    and how would we actually curtail this free speech, were we to indulge in such authoritarian stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    It's not about the video. The video is a lame excuse. Does anyone really think it's a coincidence that it happened on 9/11?

And for free speech, there is no such right to not be offended. In the same vein, we are all responsible for our actions, and so really the only ones responsible for the rioters' actions are the rioters.
    So, it's okay to bully? slander? What about yelling *fire* in a theater, or *bomb* on a plane? There are some exceptions to free speech, wouldn't you say? If you knew saying a specific something would bring another person/group to violence against others, do you still have the 'right' to say it? Morally, ethically? IDK, some people have a short fuse (thinking about road rage here, not any group in particular). Whatever happened to *Discretion is the better part of valor*?

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast