Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to put a muzzle on free speech? page 8

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    You don't even know what I think~ you're just guessing based on what I've posted. It wouldn't be much of a discussion if everybody agreed, would it? As far as a 'debate', not really interested, debating suggests there's a winner position and that's not appropriate to this topic.

I firmly believe in free speech as well as personal responsibility. I have observed, unfortunately, that they don't necessarily go hand in hand.
    I'm going on what you said and the words you chose to communicate your thoughts. Say what you mean not mean what you say.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    . Say what you mean
    Not sure I can put things in words~ right now, I'm troubled. I believe in our freedoms and rights. They are what makes America great. BY THE PEOPLE. I don't believe government should monitor the Internet even if it were possible.

But I wonder what's the resistance for intelligent people monitoring themselves? Personal responsibility. Everything written is global now. Facebook, blogs, even this forum/thread. Anyone, anywhere can read it. And take offense. Yes, that would be their responsibility, but we're talking about people who believe names do hurt, cultures where honor is more important than life. Having a right and bashing people over the head with it are not the same thing.

Was the video just an excuse? Of course! I'm sure some thing are universal, finding a justification for doing something you wanted to do anyway, just didn't want to be blamed. Like none of us have ever played the *look what you made me do* card.

I don't have any answers. The world has changed so much since I was a kid~ we didn't even have color TV! The last 20 years have just exploded with technology~ how do we handle these changes? Should we set an example of discretion? If you can't say something nice? I wish I knew.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    I am replying to the last comment of Nady. I don't like the timing of his questions, but he is right about asking them.
    There are reasons to be concerned about the demagoguery of absolute freedom of speech and European countries correctly have some limitations. After all Europe had a different experience and who knows maybe, maybe, maybe some, many (how many? millions?) paid with their lives for American insistence of accepting hate speech. Yes, I have negative eugenics and Henry Ford, for example, in mind.
    There is a book by Jeremy Waldron's "The Harm in Hate Speech" which I intend to read.

The problem we now, in time of global technology, are facing is serious. In countless countries of the world there is official, promoted by clerical/secular power 24/7 hate propaganda against others ethnic, religious or national groups. The same powers silence any individual who in a far away corner isn't careful.
    I still don't understand why there is silence about this woman illustrator in Seattle (!!!!) who drew Mohammed in support of a fellow artist in Denmark (?) and had to be swiftly carried away (with a new identity, cut off contacts) by security forces.
    Last edited by anna5; 09-15-2012 at 02:26 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Who decides what is "hate speech" and what is just uncomfortable truth?

When is speech against the government allowed and when is it against the common good and therefore should be banned?

If I say the USDA is biased and doesn't have the population's best interests at heart, is that hate speech? Is it inciting people to anarchy?

As much as I absolutely despise racist, sexist or discriminatory speech of any kind, it HAS to be allowed or you lose dissenting opinions of all types, and that's never good.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    There are reasons to be concerned about the demagoguery of absolute freedom of speech and European countries correctly have some limitations. After all Europe had a different experience and who knows maybe, maybe, maybe some, many (how many? millions?) paid with their lives for American insistence of accepting hate speech. .....
    I'm sorry, are you suggesting that American insistence on free speech caused (potentially) millions of European deaths? Care to expound on that?
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Who decides what is "hate speech" and what is just uncomfortable truth?

When is speech against the government allowed and when is it against the common good and therefore should be banned?

If I say the USDA is biased and doesn't have the population's best interests at heart, is the hate speech?

As much as I absolutely despise racist, sexist or discriminatory speech of any kind, it HAS to be allowed or you lose dissenting opinions of all types, and that's never good.
    Which government? Ours? Well, that's what free speech is all about. You have the right to criticize OUR government. It says nothing about anyone else's and doesn't promise protection from retaliation if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by BONZ View Post
    I'm sorry, are you suggesting that American insistence on free speech caused (potentially) millions of European deaths? Care to expound on that?
    I wouldn't say caused, but I'd risked "contributed" - to what degree is impossible to measure. I mentioned negative eugenics and Henry Ford. Why don't you check .. the connections - they are well known.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Which government? Ours? Well, that's what free speech is all about. You have the right to criticize OUR government. It says nothing about anyone else's and doesn't promise protection from retaliation if you do.
    Another country punishing a member of a different country for exercising their own right... Sounds like an act of war to me...
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

What part of criticizing OUR country did you miss?

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast