Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to put a muzzle on free speech? page 6

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This sounds a lot like appeasement and that always works...
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Well, I've read this thread several times. I've learned that some here think they have the freedom of speech so they can call me names, but I don't have the freedom of speech to ask questions. Guess I misunderstood what free speech is all about.
    This encapsulates the overwhelming irony of this thread.

For everyone who is saying that all of this is "the Muslims' fault," please understand that they think the same thing about us. It's the Americans' fault that this video got posted, so kill 'em all. I'm willing to bet that if we crossed the lines and actually met some Middle Eastern folks (or some American Muslims), we'd find that we have a lot in common. It's folks who have an ideological problem with us that are acting on anti-American sentiment, not every person in that region.

We are all human, and all our lives are worth basically the same (not economically). Turning the Middle East into "an epic sheet of glass" slaughters a lot of innocent folks in exchange for bagging the relative few who are the root of the problem.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Our problem is that Americans will tout this great freedom of speech, and yet we do not support it in our country or in other countries. We are not free to speak or express here, and we need to stop pretending that we are. A nation cannot have some freedoms. Citizens are either free or they are not. We are permitted to say some things, but the government will block and censor much of what is said on TV and radio or on signs and web postings. Freedom is not censorship.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BONZ View Post
    Should we self-regulate speech? Of course we should, it's a marker of civilized society in general and personal maturity specifically. Should you ask your government to regulate somebody else's speech? Who the hell do you think you are that you may ask someone else to do on your behalf what you have no right to do yourself?

That being said, there's freedom of speech but there's sure as hell no such thing as freedom from consequences. We all have the right to be an asshole, but we're all subject to the possibility of being punched in the mouth. This is the natural method of speech regulation in which we all weigh the consequences. I have the right to say it. You have the right to be offended. Neither of us have the right to physically assault each other, but it's a chance we both take. Mine in the saying, yours in the retaliation for what I said.
    Exactly. We have freedom of speech, but not freedom from the consequences of that speech, and those consequences naturally cause us to self-regulate. I decide as an individual what is proper and improper speech for myself.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mightstone2k View Post
    ...... I'm willing to bet that if we crossed the lines and actually met some Middle Eastern folks (or some American Muslims), we'd find that we have a lot in common. .........
    As just another dumbass former active duty Jarhead (Semper Fi to all my brothers and sisters who may be hanging round these parts) who's spent the better part of the last decade living in the Middle East still very much involved in prosecuting this "War on Terror", I can confirm that sentence with a resounding "Hell yes you would". I've been joking about the irony of this whole situation on the Arab side with an Egyptian buddy of mine (who acts more like a Californian). A movie is made purporting to "demonstrate" some particular flaws in Islam. A handful of morons (whom we've collectively dubbed the bearded brigade, although he has many more colorful names for them in Arabic) start setting things on fire. He pulled this from Twitter...... from a Muslim..... "seen on twitter : The movie defaming Muhammad PBUH wasn't a movie, it was a trailer. We are the movie."..... so lets not pretend like decent human beings who happen to be Muslim don't see what you see on TV and think the same thing you do...... "FUCKING IDIOTS!"
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Well, I've read this thread several times. I've learned that some here think they have the freedom of speech so they can call me names, but I don't have the freedom of speech to ask questions. Guess I misunderstood what free speech is all about.
    You are wrong again. You can ask all of the questions you like. You can feel however you want. That is you exercising your rights. I can call you out on that speech and express how wrong I believe you are. That is me exercising my rights. No one here tried to kill you for expressing your beliefs unlike what those savages did in the middle east.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Playing the victim card now?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -- Voltaire (21 November 1694 30 May 1778).

Right then, still right now.

BillVick is offline Junior Member
    As an official 'Old Paleo Guy' I'm thrilled to see so many standing up for our freedoms and rights. Seeing younger people (for me anybody under 40 since I'm 74 and counting) take a stand in support of our constitution just makes my day and as a Marine I say Semper Fi to each and everyone of you. Thanks.

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillVick View Post
    As an official 'Old Paleo Guy' I'm thrilled to see so many standing up for our freedoms and rights. Seeing younger people (for me anybody under 40 since I'm 74 and counting) take a stand in support of our constitution just makes my day and as a Marine I say Semper Fi to each and everyone of you. Thanks.
    +1775 ..... and to that I say "Give'em one!!!" Of course, most of these people don't know what the hell I'm talkin' about.
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast