Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to put a muzzle on free speech? page 4

Primal Bill Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    I don't think Nady was asking rhetorical questions, Nady is asking questions and doesn't deserve to be called despicable.
    Its despicable to question free speech because Muslims murder in response to being offended. Get that through your head

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think Nady was asking rhetorical questions, Nady is asking questions and doesn't deserve to be called despicable.
    I really don't care what you think. Mind your own business and stop standing up for an idiot.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    I really don't care what you think. Mind your own business and stop standing up for an idiot.
    You're speaking in a public forum, so if you want not to be heard, you should make your message private.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    You're speaking in a public forum, so if you want not to be heard, you should make your message private.
    I was speaking directly to Nady so how about you not worry about it.

PoppaCap is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I can understand Nady's sentiment ..... what that video poster did was akin to yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater. Is any one asking why it was posted on Sept 11? Doesn't that seem a bit intentional? I think that who ever posted it is some what responsible for the reaction that occurred.
    The movie was not posted on 9/11. It was posted over 3 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Bill View Post
    Its despicable to question free speech because Muslims murder in response to being offended. Get that through your head
    Part of your interpretation of your precious first amendment (and that is not said sarcastically - I think it is a great thing to have) is that people have a right to express their opinions, and I think even if one wonders about what is the best interpretation of that amendment. Nady clearly said, "Can we discuss? I'd like to understand better, because right now, I'm just sick."

There has to be a place/space/time to ask questions, no matter if -even if asking the question itself - is offensive to others. Otherwise the amendment doesn't mean much, at least that's how I see it.

Edit:
    (my own opinion on the whole situation is inline with what Uncephalized posted. Video is in bad taste, but not illegal, and the responsibility lies with the people who acted out in violence. Some people/groups/cultures are just a little too eager to be offended and then act out on it.)
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 09-14-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    I was speaking directly to Nady so how about you not worry about it.
    ...in a public forum.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I believe in all of our American rights. But I'm not so sure other cultures understand them the way they're meant. For example, first Americans came from countries where they were 'punished' if they spoke out against their government/rulers. So, having the protection of free speech was something near and dear to the writers of the Constitution.

But we're not a little upstart nation anymore. It's gotten to be a small, small world, with people of many nations and beliefs. Do we have the right to use our freedoms to tweak their sensitivities? Do we have the right to expect them to react the same way we would? Do we have the obligation to be politically correct at home, but culturally insensitive to the rest of the world?
    You contradict yourself so much, you want to believe one thing but in reality you don't.

Your rights should never beholden to the views of the outside world. Many countries think women shouldn't vote. Should we get rid of the 20th amendment to align with those countries? Should we ban guns because the rest of the world like an unarmed civilian population? Giving up your rights to make others happy is the most ridiculous ideology a person could have.
    Last edited by kenn; 09-14-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

parakeet is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I believe in all of our American rights. But I'm not so sure other cultures understand them the way they're meant. For example, first Americans came from countries where they were 'punished' if they spoke out against their government/rulers. So, having the protection of free speech was something near and dear to the writers of the Constitution.

But we're not a little upstart nation anymore. It's gotten to be a small, small world, with people of many nations and beliefs. Do we have the right to use our freedoms to tweak their sensitivities? Do we have the right to expect them to react the same way we would? Do we have the obligation to be politically correct at home, but culturally insensitive to the rest of the world?
    First of all, I do not believe for one second that this had anything to do with a video. This was a coordinated attack on the anniversary of 9/11. The propaganda that is being spun by the media is ridiculous. Really, what makes more sense? A video that was released 6 mo. ago by an Isreali citizen living in the US, or an attack on the anniversary of the biggest terrorist event ever?
    Which, by the way, I also believe we will see similar attacks in the future if we continue to make excuses and allow these heathens to carry out their will on us.

Again I ask, Nady, where does it end? Where do we draw the line in the sand and send a message that we will not tolerate the harm or murder of American citizens?

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Bill View Post
    innoncent lives that are taken by people who think they have the right to kill you because you don't believen in mohommed or islam....thats what gets me worked up...idiots who support and make excuses for people hwo take innoncent lives because they disagree with their religion
    That's an extreme over simplification of why there is unrest in the Middle East. I find these emotional types of comments disturbing because they are on par with the reactionary views that incited the rioting in the Middle East. Both groups are very susceptiblel to propaganda.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast