Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to put a muzzle on free speech? page 3

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ever try to put your hand over the mouth of a 3-year-old who is being loud and annoying? You get your hand bit and/or slobbered all over. It's not a good idea.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Bill View Post
    HOW DARE YOU! HOW FN DARE YOU question our 1st ammendment because of the way some idiot muslim terrorists respond. YOU SHOULD BE ASHMAED Of yourself for even asking the question. You are pathetic. It's weak people like you and weak people like the president who have given these idiots the confidence to threaten american lives and american property. how dare you question our freedom of speech. you make me sick. people like you make me sick. Why don't you criticize the idiots who are responsible for killing innoncent americans and attacking property. Stop making excuses for people who think they have the right to kill you because oyu disagree with their religion. Start criticizing the muslims who act like animals. You make me sick
    For those that missed it, I think this guy forgot the [SARCASM] [/SARCASM] tags. I thought the intent was funny, but execution was lacking.

(If you still don't see it, he's trying to silence those who are questioning the value of the First Amendment.)

And to the original poster, no, there are very few limits to free speech that I will accept. This is not one of them.
    Last edited by jfreaksho; 09-14-2012 at 05:26 PM.

parakeet is offline Member
    If you believe there should be limits to the 1st Amendment, then my question to the op is, where does it stop? Today it is, supposedly, about blasphomy of their prophet. What happens when they decide to torture, rape and kill innocent people for refusing to observe thier sabbath or refusing to go to morning prayer? There is no excuse for the actions of these animals and making excuses or apoligizing is only playing into their hands.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I am responsible for my actions.

Others are responsible for their actions.

If someone acts poorly in response to my speech, that is NOT a problem with my freedom of speech, it is a problem with their inability to act properly.

Shutting me up doesn't make them better at acting properly, it allows them to continue acting improperly, and stifles any speech that they don't agree with.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    And for free speech, there is no such right to not be offended.
    This, definitely this!

(...and the first amendment doesn't apply to people who are not USian. )
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 09-14-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    It's always been the backbone of our freedoms, but I doubt the founding fathers ever imagined anyone's opinions would move beyond our shores. I think the original idea was to give the people of the USA the right to criticize our government without fearing prosecution. How does that gives someone the right to spew their hatred of other people/countries over the WWW via youtube?

We aren't one small nation in a big world anymore. Should there be consequences for those that hide behind our rights and use their words to cause death and distruction abroad? If this happened on our shores, I think these people would be charged with hate crimes.

Can we discuss? I'd like to understand better, because right now, I'm just sick.
    You know what makes me sick? People like you who can't place the blame solely where it belongs, on the savages who committed these MURDERS! In my opinion you are a despicable human being!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parakeet View Post
    If you believe there should be limits to the 1st Amendment, then my question to the op is, where does it stop? Today it is, supposedly, about blasphomy of their prophet. What happens when they decide to torture, rape and kill innocent people for refusing to observe thier sabbath or refusing to go to morning prayer? There is no excuse for the actions of these animals and making excuses or apoligizing is only playing into their hands.
    I believe in all of our American rights. But I'm not so sure other cultures understand them the way they're meant. For example, first Americans came from countries where they were 'punished' if they spoke out against their government/rulers. So, having the protection of free speech was something near and dear to the writers of the Constitution.

But we're not a little upstart nation anymore. It's gotten to be a small, small world, with people of many nations and beliefs. Do we have the right to use our freedoms to tweak their sensitivities? Do we have the right to expect them to react the same way we would? Do we have the obligation to be politically correct at home, but culturally insensitive to the rest of the world?

Grok is offline Senior Member
    No, it's not the time to put a muzzle on free speech.

Now, is the time to put a muzzle on foreign occupations and wars.

Okay?! Jesus frickin H. Christ.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    You know what makes me sick? People like you who can't place the blame solely where it belongs, on the savages who committed these MURDERS! In my opinion you are a despicable human being!
    I don't think Nady was asking rhetorical questions, Nady is asking questions and doesn't deserve to be called despicable.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Primal Bill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by parakeet View Post
    They already torture rape and kill innoncent people. But according to the op, we shouldn't say anything to offend them. It's wrong to offend them

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast