Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to put a muzzle on free speech? page 18

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Yeah~ but you don't live in one of those countries where honor is more important than life.
    Actually, important point here... I have a vagina.
    Therefore I have no honor... and may be killed to restore a man's "honor" in the society of which you speak...
    (Yikes, I think you do too.)

So, forgive me if I don't rush to defend the "honor" of those men...
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-27-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    ...I believe that extending universal and equal rights to all people, and promoting a world where violence is condemned and discouraged, where people can express their opinions without fearing for their lives, regardless of whose fee-fees might get hurt, is a WAY BETTER FUCKING WORLD than one where we systematically hand over every scrap of freedom we've achieved to appease the superstitious, violent barbarians who would as soon behead you as spit on you. The ideas of freedom of religion, expression, and association, and of freedom from violence and oppression, are ideas to be fought for, ideas to die for if necessary. It's not arrogance to condemn violence irrespective of culture. Universal, equal human rights is the only sane way to live in a global world, full stop.
    This has nothing to do with any god... but...

A-fucking-men!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Yes, I believe that extending universal and equal rights to all people, and promoting a world where violence is condemned and discouraged, where people can express their opinions without fearing for their lives, regardless of whose fee-fees might get hurt, is a WAY BETTER FUCKING WORLD than one where we systematically hand over every scrap of freedom we've achieved to appease the superstitious, violent barbarians who would as soon behead you as spit on you. The ideas of freedom of religion, expression, and association, and of freedom from violence and oppression, are ideas to be fought for, ideas to die for if necessary. It's not arrogance to condemn violence irrespective of culture. Universal, equal human rights is the only sane way to live in a global world, full stop.
    Sounds good~ now, how are you going to make that happen? Oh, and do you think that's what other people/countries want and would appreciate?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    First, yes people do die from guns fired into the air. It happens here all the time because we have a large population that comes from a culture where that's normal. And people die from it.

Second, I don't give in to people who use violence to get what they want. Since I live in a country where freedome of speech is not only allowed but celebrated (maybe just in my circles? Apparently not everywhere), I will continue to speak truth when and where I want to. I choose not to go places where I don't have that freedom.

Third, I do believe that we should speak responsibly, but the minute you say that, you have to start making judgment calls as to what is responsible and what is irresponsible. We've already made some decisions that most of us can agree on, like when it comes to slander, but I don't think "upsetting others" is ever going to make the cut, and I see that as a good thing. I would hate to see restrictions on speech regarding others' rights or protests against government (ours or others). Frankly, I feel the fact that other countries' more violent citizens act out at the slightest remark is a good reason in and of itself to speak out, since their own compatriots surely cannot without worse retaliation.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Sounds good~ now, how are you going to make that happen? Oh, and do you think that's what other people/countries want and would appreciate?
    Actually, they may struggle against it for a while... but much research shows that globalization via technology and such is happening and there really isn't anything that can be done to stop it.

The spread of ideas and more universal governing/equality is almost inevitable.

Besides, this whole thing really isn't about an entire people/country.
    It's about a small fundamentalist terrorist group within a country...

You know... barring a full on WW where most of the world dies.
    And those cultures don't "win" in that game either... hell, they'll be the first to be completely leveled... because they are small.
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-27-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    "I will continue to speak truth"
    Well, what if YOUR truth is only "truth" in your eyes and a dangerous , big lie in reality? I tend to run fast, very fast from those who praise their speaking of truth.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    To expect people to want to embrace liberty based ideals is arrogant?
    What liberty are you talking? Liberty to be slave? Liberty to be sterilized? Why don't you check history? Liberty to be a wage slave? Always in fashion. People spend 70-80 hours a week without any ability to open their mouth and spend the rest of their time recovering - again without any ability to open their mouth (no energy). What are talking about?

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    What liberty are you talking? Liberty to be slave? Liberty to be sterilized? Why don't you check history? Liberty to be a wage slave? Always in fashion. People spend 70-80 hours a week without any ability to open their mouth and spend the rest of their time recovering - again without any ability to open their mouth (no energy). What are talking about?
    What?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    To expect people to want to embrace liberty based ideals is arrogant?
    For one thing, any country that has religion as the backbone of it's government is not going to view liberty as good. Remember, there is no 'freedom' in religion. Second, not every country in the rest of word is in the middle east~ and many have long histories of their own, including what they already consider freedoms and rights. Thinking our way is the right (only) way is arrogant. It works for us, it remains to be seen if it works for others.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    C'mon Kenn...
    You remember "Dr. Anna" don't you?
    From the circumcision thread...

Someone... accidently wrote the word "muslim" and she found us again. **
    Because she is a troll who googles for forum threads that mention that word (Or the word Jew)all day
    And then incoherently responds.

**I'm embarrassed to admit it was me.
    But I figured she had crawled back under her dirty little bridge and disappeared.
    I just wish there was more consistency in her persona
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast