Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to put a muzzle on free speech? page 14

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I'm sure this worked wonderfully 250 years ago, when everyone's opinions stopped at our shores. My thoughts however, were along the lines of careless speech that results in the death of innocent people half a world away. It's all well and good to point the finger at the murderers as responsible, but if you knew your words could result in the death of others, would you still say them? Or would you consider that not every culture thinks/reacts the same as Americans and temper your speech?

I'm all in favor of free speech, but I think I would choose my words more carefully, considering the current climate of the modern world.
    Man crushed by steamroller in China.

HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATION!

WARNING GRAPHIC!

WARNING: This speech might make China angry and they might want to kill someone, so I better not mention this here!!

DUH DUH DUH!

» Man Crushed by Steamroller On Orders of Chinese Officials Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

WARNING: This video might get someone upset and someone in another country might shoot someone.

It is not the fault of the murderer that someone died, no it is clearly my fault for posting this video.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Well, this thread has really opened my eyes. I've got it~ everyone has a fundamental right to free speech as long as they agree with you. Because any other opinion is wrong and not worthy of discussion.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Well, this thread has really opened my eyes. I've got it~ everyone has a fundamental right to free speech as long as they agree with you. Because any other opinion is wrong and not worthy of discussion.
    I think you've missed the boat here Nady.
    You have the right to free speech as well...
    You've been able to express that you think free speech should be supressed...
    And other people have the right to say "no it should not".

See... you can say "Stop free speech"... That IS Free Speech...
    Just because people don't necessarily agree with you, it doesn't mean that your right has been removed.
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-27-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

What, are you banning your own speech now?

Since you are the only one on the thread who is arguing against free speech, it must be you who is saying that you can't express your own opinion....

Der. Now that the gubament tell me how to speek, Der, I dont need my gun no more, der, because now I don't need to protect myself no more from my dumb dumb speech. The gubament tell me how to talk.

Der. I got me edumakashun from da gubament. Da gubament protect me real good.

Da gubament teach me everything me know, because those gubament union teachers are really really smart. uh-huh...der..duh...if we cud jus pay those gubament teachers more money den I culd be even smarter. duh uh-huh

herp-a-derp.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Ah, the whole zoo is here: teapartiers, anarchists, Alex Jones crazies, Ron Paul crazies, all other crazies, etc.
    I even didn't bother to go through all the comments.
    I have a title for a book: The Shades (or Shapes) of Craziness. Such diversity of this fauna.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    You have the right to free speech as well...
    You've been abel to express that you think free speech should be stopped...
    And other people have the right to say "no it should not".

Just because people don't necessarily agree with you, it doesn't mean that your right has been removed.
    I never said free speech should be stopped. I don't believe it should be stopped. Maybe I can explain it better~

Ever hear of Shannon's law?
    Shannon's law refers to specific changes in Arizona statutes, enacted in 2000, making it a felony offense to discharge firearms randomly into the air
    Words are like bullets~ when used constructively, they do their intended job. Make differences, improvements. But shoot your mouth off just because you can and not care where those words land, then you're no different (IMO) than the gun shooting *right to bear arms* American who's bullet fell from the sky and killed Shannon while she was on the phone in her own back yard. Who's fault is it? Hers?

If freedom of speech was all encompassing, then bullying would be okay. So would slander. But they're not. I just wondered if it's time for our freedom to be tempered with some wisdom~

Words are like bullets~ when used constructively, they do their intended job. Make differences, improvements. But shoot your mouth off just because you can and not care where those words land, then you're no different (IMO) than the gun shooting *right to bear arms* American who's bullet fell from the sky and killed Shannon while she was on the phone in her own back yard. Who's fault is it? Hers?

If freedom of speech was all encompassing, then bullying would be okay. So would slander. But they're not. I just wondered if it's time for our freedom to be tempered with some wisdom~
    There is a phrase that goes like this:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

You should repeat this phrase over and over again until you have memorized it and can repeat it back to me.

There is no word, no word at all, which I can shout out into the air and have it heard by a little girl who dies because of it.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post

There is no such thing as absolute freedom of speech and .... it shouldn't be.
    I wonder how many of absolutists would continue being so if someone started a campaign:
    "Kill him/her, kill him/her, kill him/her."

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nevertheless I stand by my last statement...

"Just because people don't necessarily agree with you, it doesn't mean that your right has been removed."

And I do not agree...
    What a person says re:speech, in reference to making a video about a religion or a government or whatever... to which a person reacts and murders people.
    The ACT of murder committed by the reactive person is where the fault lies.

That's my opinion.

The "Shanon's Law" analogy is not applicable because the person pulling the trigger of the gun which fired the bullet which killed Shannon is an identifiable person who did not intend the outcome, but committed the distinct act (pulled the trigger of the gun), thus committing at the very least manslaughter, not murder (as murder is intentional).

A person creating a video saying that "Muslims suck and I hate them", that person did not pull a trigger, they were just saying stupid things. But may have possibly, MAYBE, angered another person who made a distinct decision to consciously go out and MURDER. That person and only that person who makes the decision to commit the crime bears the guilt at that point.
    Big difference.

The bullying and slander laws are also very different...
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-27-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast