Thread: My Tex-Mex has a refried beans - sized hole page

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member

My Tex-Mex has a refried beans - sized hole

Shop Now
    Hello hungry grokkers,

I'm looking for a sub for refried beans. I adore Midwestern-style, non-spicy, highly cheesed Tex-Mex and have done pretty good in dialing down the cheese required for dishes like taco salad or enchiladas.

But the beans! I really miss the beans. Without beans the salad doesn't hold together in a creamy mass and the enchiladas get all liquidy.

Any ideas for replacing the beans?

Note: I have only ever seen 1 idea - soaked sunflower seeds mashed with tahini. I've not tried this yet. It seems fairly involved and like it would make a lot: I'm a single student gal.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    why are you dialing down the cheese?

i dont have an answer for you except gelatin.

how are you making enchilada without any grain at all?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Enchiladas with beans? WTF? News to this Texan.
    Anyways, for torta meat and such, my Hispanic mother-in-law puts potato chunks in with the meat while it cooks and then mashes it all together. Maybe try that with sweet potatoes or cauliflower as your "glue"?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    quelsen- Egg crepes as "tortillas." It kinda works.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Rub some bacon on it.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Eggplants. Seriously, roasted eggplants taste very similar to beans, and will take on the flavors and soak up fats just the same. Roast them slowly, peel, mush, cook with whatever fat and tex-mex spice... done.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Drained mashed eggplant sounds like a fantastic (and easier) addition. Thanks! Yes, quelsen and naiadknight, I've done the eggy "tortillas" before, but I usually make more of an enchilada pie sans tortilla. It's a mess and is soupy but it tastes good! Justyouraveragecavemen, I admit to having mixed bacon into my taco meat Quelsen, have you ever had Midwestern, thoroughly Americanized Tex-Mex before? I expect my "dialed down" cheese is probably your "normal" cheese. I'm not lactose sensitive (European ancestry - and I've experimented n=1) but I am trying to keep my carbs lowish since I'm attempting to lose weight and am female. (I'm not doing a good job, but that's another post.) Any other ideas people have?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    or make the beans
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!